Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Minimum gauge for battery cable?

colson04 · 2024-09-05 14:09

Mid 90's Mack, CH613, E7-350 engine (12.7L). Has 3 batteries. What size battery cable is recommended, and what can I get by with? Truck is only used May through September, so it rarely gets started below 50 degrees, if ever. Battery cable needs to be replaced due to heavy corrosion. Currently has a 3/0 cable, but no where local has anything bigger than 2 gauge. Called local heavy truck shop, they don't make new cables anymore. They only order them in as needed. Went to Road Equipment (heavy truck parts supplier), they don't have 3/0 cable in stock, and would only sell it by the 25ft spool if they did.

Replies10
  1. #1Coaldust2024-09-05 14:36

    We could run the numbers, calculate voltage drop and pontificate all day. But, do we trust the science anymore? Don’t get amped out about it. We’ll figure it out, together. Team work makes the dream work. Grab some 2/0 from your local welding supply shop. If one 2/0 cable isn’t providing the results you desire, you can always run another. Which is what many OEM’s do today. 3/0 is overly expensive and hard to source, difficult to route. Your mileage may vary.

  2. #2Deere500a2024-09-05 15:43
  3. #3Deere500a2024-09-05 15:46

    Napa auto parts quick look online shows by the ft & terminal ends for 3/0

  4. #4BC Placer gold2024-09-05 15:47

    That’s what we did for our IH 9200 when the ‘clicking/sluggish turnover’ started-except being “frugal” I cut the length needed from the negative lead on my Miller Bobcat welder. Now when I weld I must be very close to the work!

  5. #5Coaldust2024-09-05 16:18

    Try to locate a NAPA DC that actually has it in stock.

  6. #6Deere500a2024-09-05 16:41

    One more walk in option is harbor freight 3' 2/0 power inverter cable $40

  7. #7Truck Shop2024-09-05 16:50

    2/0 is standard found on most all OEM, biggest issue is distance from battery to starter. The main thing is grounds from starter to block & frame are 2/0 also.

  8. #8colson042024-09-05 18:10

    I appreciate you guys responding. I found a cable finally, about an hour from here. Locally, the Deere dealer and Napa had nothing. Deere didn't even have 2/0 in stock at the moment. I ended up at a large electrical supply house that had 3/0 welding cable in stock, including ends. Got the 62" I needed, took them to a shop to get them crimped on and back to the farm. Installed and she lit off instantly, no hesitation. I put a starter on this truck yesterday and found the bad cable during that process. Yes, our starter was jacked. Broken internals. We've had starting issues for awhile with this truck, but until it absolutely wouldn't start, it didn't get to the front of the list. Now it lights off really fast.

  9. #9Tyler d4c2024-09-05 19:35

    My idea is 2/0 will start any thing I keep a box of s and lots of cable on hand if it's the lawn mower or the dump truck it gets 2/0

  10. #10Truck Shop2024-09-05 19:49

    I like that!