Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3126 cat

Old Doug ยท 2024-09-09 21:50

I was ask to look at a 1998 KW with a 3126 that died . I looked it over and checked the basic stuff . I know its a Heui engine. I dont have a scanner what are the basic stuff i can check?

Replies5
  1. #1Coaldust2024-09-09 22:14

    Some common things I have found in that application are suction leaks on the supply side of the fuel system. Especially when they run plastic tubing. ECM fuses in the battery box, IPR valves and cam sensors if you feel like tossing parts at it. The fuel pressure regulator at the back of the head. Brittle injector wire harness under the valve cover.

  2. #2Old Doug2024-09-10 07:33

    I am going to give it another look over today if i dont see anything i am not going alot deeper.

  3. #3Old Doug2024-09-11 07:35

    The owner stopped by the shop and told me that a guy that we both know that lives less than 2 miles from where the truck died looked at it . He is a good mechanic he says he has worked on several 3126 cats . He thinks he knows whats wrong with it and is going to work on it. When he gets it fixed i will post what it was.

  4. #4Truck Shop2024-09-11 09:54

    Hole through side of block.

  5. #5mowingman2024-09-11 13:02

    I am no expert on engines, but the old 3116 and 3126 Cat diesels were good to me. Over the years, I had 4 trucks that had those engines. Two with the 3116 and two with the 3126. While certainly not powerhouses, they did what I needed them to do and I never had any trouble with them. All were in mid 90's GMC/Chevy 7500 and 8500 trucks. I bought the trucks each time, pretty cheap, as no one seemed to want trucks with those engines. I took a chance, and it seemed to work for me. I would rather of had a DT466 engine in each of them, but that engine/truck combination made the price go up, a lot.