Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mining Shovels- Hydraulic Snubber Failure- P&H 4100

GuyS ยท 2012-10-01 12:25

Hello, I am working on a project involving P&H 4100XPC bucket snubbers. From what I can tell the SnubRite system is the most prevalent, but fails after around 9000 operational hours. What is the cause of failure for this style? Cavitation on the orifice, seals busting? If anyone has any first hand experience doing maintenance overhauls it would be great! Other styles of snubbers have also been used, including friction plates (think of clutches) and hydraulic pistons. Is there any reason electro-mechanical alternatives aren't used? I understand they are more complex, but it seems like they could be promising. Is there any reason aside from complexity and external power requirements they aren't used? Thanks for your time! -

Replies4
  1. #1icestationzebra2012-10-01 19:21

    How do you intend to get power to the dipper reliably? ISZ

  2. #2wosama931b2012-10-01 20:44

    if you went 9000 hr. no bo bo until now. sam

  3. #3GuyS2012-10-01 20:49

    I'm sorry I don't follow, no bo bo until now? As for power, I have no idea how it would be or could be supplied.

  4. #4Ross2012-10-04 19:37

    Yeah av worked on snubbers and the Snub-Rite variant. Pain to tighten on the big buckets as you need a special socket. Not sure why exactly they fail but heat is a factor. Marion use a friction disc set up with compression springs and seems to be reliable enough. Most of the dipper doors get ripped off before 9000hrs ha ha and a Dynamic system would be a pain. Probably could design the system to work like the Trip-Rite.