Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fiat-Allis 10c track loader steering issues

98zx9r ยท 2012-10-04 01:25

The owner said he lost his belly pan and something punctured a hose, he replaced the hose but the machine doesn't steer like it should. (I would guess it damaged the steering pump.) He also said he may have put a gear in backwards when working on it, not sure what he did. Is there something else I should look for or does this sound like a weak pump? I tried to google a steering pump without luck, can someone tell me where to look and ball park price? I plan to go look at the loader Friday anything else I should look for? Thank You

Replies5
  1. #1wosama931b2012-10-09 20:44

    Hi there , 98zx9r, You could have air in the system, if you have slave system to clutch, look for bleed plug or pressure test plug, The plug will not be to big, or 9/16 bolt , not much help, If you think its the pump, find the pressure plug and put a line to it, with a high pressure gauge on it, most machines are about 300 or more. There may be more than one place to take pressure test, good luck, sam

  2. #2Mapleleaftrucks2012-10-09 21:41

    If he just chanced a hose there should no gears involved, the pump on the 10c's is a tandem pump located on the bottom of the bell housing, the front half of the pump takes oil from the torque converter and pumps it back to the transmission, the second half of the pump is for the steering, these pumps go quit offen because they get all the crap out of the differental going though them. there is a filter on top of diff that might be the trouble, last time i bought the back half of the pump it was around $1200 from fiat. good luck.

  3. #398zx9r2012-10-10 23:49

    Thanks for the replies and info. I talked to the owners wife the first time and had a misunderstanding on what happened, it turns out the pump was knocked off and the owner took it to a machine shop to be repaired. It was raining good when I went and I didn't crawl under the machine to have a look. If I go back I will look for a place to bleed the system and check the filter. I am not finding many places to get parts for the Fiat-allis machines so I am not sure I will pursue this machine now. Again thanks for the info.

  4. #4DMiller2012-10-29 17:33

    MINNPAR out of Minneapolis is tTHE Fiat Allis parts supply in the US, they don't have it new you may not be able to get it.

  5. #598zx9r2012-11-02 20:46

    Again thank you for the info. I decided to pass on this machine and instead bought a Cat 955l that seems to be in pretty good shape.