11-14-09. Today was mirror heater day here in the rockie mountains. Its one of those things in a truck you never use,but when you need them its the greatest invention ever. Driving down the hiway was deadly enough in its self,but froze over mirrors would of grounded me. It rained liquid ice today,but me and my mirror heaters,and my freight liner kept on rollin. OSI
There are many days a year here my heated mirrors are used all day and never shut off. I use them on rainy days to help with drying.
my pic-up has heated mirrors,they are great!the only thing i don't like is ford did not put an on/off switch like the big rigs so i just pull the fuse in the summer.
I've never understood the benefit of mirror heaters on both sides of a vehicle. I can reach the one on my side to warm my hand but I cant reach the other without having to stop and slide across which apart from wasting time also lets all the heat out of the cab but maybe I am doing it wrong. :beatsme
When its about -20 and you're rolling down the window every 5 min. you'll soon realize just how cold is is out there! I used to dress for the weather because the trucks the company had didn't have heat, or the lack of sealent on the firewall let in more cold than the defroster could handle! One truck couldn't keep the windshield clear above 35 MPH. The snow would freeze, and I have to sit somewhere and let the defroster catch up. It's no fun no being able to see where I was going, or where I'd been!
That old Ford had one heck of a stove in her! Set her on high heat high fan, and in 3 blocks the furnace would be melting your boots! The same with the AC in the summer. Kick the AC on, and in 3 blocks she'd be making ice! I an attempt to repair the fan motor, the mechanic broke the heat control so the cable didn't have full throw of the damper in the heat box. After that it became a manual adjustment! I figured out how to switch from heat to AC and back again. It tool a long handled push and pull bar, and cutting off the block circulation. Somehow He had the damper slid 180degrees out. Go figure?