Hi, My digger uses this engine. Model number FL912. It stalled very easy under any load until I changed the fuel and air filters. It is alot better now but I suspect there is still a blockage as it still stalls under a heavyish workload (eg driving up a slope.) Does anybody know if these engines have an inline screen filter somewhere along the fuel supply? I have undone a few of the banjo fittings but am not sure what I'm looking for... Thanks, Ben
I hope you got a good deal.
heh heh yep, it was about $6k US, if it was in perfect condition it would go for about $15k US over here in NZ, so I got some wiggle room before I start really regretting it...
Look at your fuel filter and diesel lines for something similar to the pictures these can block or have a inline filter hidden in them........................
Sounds like you have a Deutz F5L912. Most 912 Deutz engines use a lift pump that has a strainer inside of it. Your lift pump should look similar to the pic below. Remove the screw in the center of the lid on top of lift pump, remove lid. You should find a stainer screen inside.
thanks stock. Are those bolts hollow through the shaft? And if so would the filter be inside the hollow shaft of the bolt, or would they be in those holes you can see in the picture? or would they be inside the red bit of the little picture?
Ooh, you're turning me on here ATCO. I'll go down to the digger right now and try and find something that looks like that. Thanks a bunch. Man, I searched high and low on the internet for advice on this question, I should have asked you guys straight away. If I don't find it i'll look for what Stock suggested. cheers, Ben
I'd say you're on the right track with ATCO's advice. I have 3 air cooled Deutz engines in forestry gear. I've had the same problem, but its an easy fix. Let us know how you make out.
O course you now realize you will have to post the solution ...................................................there is a tad of rivalry there...........................................not the filter may be in the bolt shaft,if you can't see light through the hole then you have an issue................
On the priming pump it should be just a case of taking off the top cover and the filter should be there, now I have had a few blocked banjo fittings in my time..................................
ATCO vs Stock Well Stock, you may be in the right on this one because I could not find a lifter pump like ATCO suggested. Maybe I have one that looks completely different though.... I'm going back there now with a camera. While I was there I removed four banjo fittings (each end of the lines that take fuel to and from the fuel filter) but none had a filter inside them. " On the priming pump it should be just a case of taking off the top cover and the filter should be there, " I do have a priming pump, it has a white plastic top you unscrew before you pump it in and out. Are you suggesting I unscrew that completely? I believe I did that once before but I'll try again... Stand by for photographs. And thanks guys, you are the only ones protecting my sanity.
Rivalry? LoL Naaa. Just throwing all the possibilites out there, Stock covered banjo fitting screens, I just mentioned another possible problem to look at. I'm curious to know what type of lift pump the machine uses, I've yet to see a 912 that doesn't require a lift pump. It might have an electric in-line pump, I've seen many inline pumps that have a filter in them. I've also seen all manner of fuel restrictions. Sticks and pebbles lodged in the tank outlet fitting, pieces of old shop rags, large rust flakes, all manner of things that make you scratch your head. Many times simply blowing back through the line from the tank with compressed air dislodges the blockage. Be sure and open the drain on the bottom of the tank occasionally to remove water and dregs from bottom of tank.
Ben sounds like you have lots of great advice, I am NOT a mechanic, but I have afew dozen years experience with excavators of all sorts, the screens are the first to check , then blow back the fuel outlet , have seen lots of issues with (ummm sorry guys) mechanics rags mysteriously ending up in the fuel tank, but mainly rust flakes from condensation in the tank,causing major issues,and I'm not sure if your system has a return line to the tank, check that as well for kinks of internal blockages,a slow return can cause your lift pump to stall and there for cause an issue with your top end performance
Here are some pictures of a primer pump location that I found on the web The first one is or the new type of Bosh primer fitted. The second one shows banjo bolt location. The third one is the origional Bosh/zexel/diesel kiki primer opened. Last is of a cheap aftermarket replacement part.............. O course it could be drawing air in through the primer pump................
Awesome thanks guys, if i try all that I am sure I'll find something... probably blockages in all of the above places. There was definitely major amounts of crap in the old fuel filter. I guess i should recheck the new one in case it's already clogging too... I tried to get a couple of photos of the area but access was tight. What do you think ATCO? The first blurry one is of the primer pump, and you can see it in top rightish of bottom photo...
Nice find on the internet pics Stock! :notworthy It does look like kiwiben has the Zexel style lift pump instead of the Delhi style diaphram pump. I can't say for certain kiwiben, but I've worked on some lift pumps like yours that has a strainer screen inside of it, located under the plug in the side of the lift pump. Just take care removing that plug as there may be a spring and poppet piston inside there. I think you should give your fuel system a good look through. If your fuel tank has a petcock on it for the supply line, make sure it's fully open. Remove the supply hose at the lift pump, blow back through line with compressed air. Make sure you don't have any clogged screens in banjo bolt fittings or inside lift pump. Once you get everything a good workout, connect a hose on outlet fitting of lift pump and place hose in a bucket. Operate the primer pump and make sure you get good fuel flow. Lastly, if your fuel supply hose is 3/8", it looks like it is anyway, install and inline strainer screen filter in a convenient place in supply hose. Use a Wix 33270, Hastings FF946, or equivalent. These filters look like ordinary inline steel shell filters, but they don't have filter media inside of them, they have a stainer screen instead. This way it won't clog up constantly, let's the spin on fuel filter clean the fuel, but it keeps heavy debris from clogging banjos and the lift pump components.
I think i do have a cap like that, I'll try and remove it next opportunity. Thanks ATCO and everyone else
Gee Atco I just can let you better me on this one Pay close attention to items 11 the red one,yellow one appears to be a filter............now this type of filter can also be on the input to the filter housing..............
Ahh, to be sure, you're doing an excellent job Stock. :yup
Guys, you're too kind. Ever in NZ look me up You can stay here in the Marlborough Sounds as long as you like... you can even play on my digger for fun. Just dig your random fantasy holes and I'll fill them in when you leave Going windsurfing right now, but tomorrow morning I shall dig out item 11.
Very tempting Malbourough that is the home of a very nice drop of wine.............................................
sure is... the napa valley of NZ