Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

hitachi ex60-2 electrical fault

boveyfarmer ยท 2011-01-13 08:15

l have a problem with ECU on my ex60-2.(1994) The machine will start but the throttle will not work. Keep blowing fuse no5 which feeds the ECU, if the ECU is insulated from the machine the fuse does not blow, let it earth and the fuse blows. l can only stop the engine with the manual stop. Any ideas? PS This is an imported machine into the UK from Japan, so not to UK spec.

Replies9
  1. #1rgl7262011-01-13 08:20

    you have throtle motor and throtle angle sensor. check the wiring for short circuit.

  2. #2boveyfarmer2011-01-13 09:27

    l will look at that, thank you, we have been scratching our heads this morning, and using a lot of 1amp fuse's

  3. #3rgl7262011-01-13 20:03

    do not attempt to use higher rating with this 1 amp fuse. to prevent frying your computer

  4. #4boveyfarmer2011-01-15 14:39

    anyone got a wiring diagram for the EX60?

  5. #5declangately2012-08-02 04:24

    how did the above man get on with his ex 60 fuse blowing problem, i have the same problem myself with an ex 60 also

  6. #6Scrapper2012-08-02 10:26

    Have you tried unplugging any of the sensors and motors that control the engine and the hydraulics to see if you can get the fuse to stop blowing? I would unplug the throttle stepper motor and the engine kill motor and see it that stops the fuse from blowing. Then unhook all the sensors on the hydraulic pump and see if that does it. Then unhook your sensors on the main hydraulic valve. If your fuse still blows you likely have a wiring problem or the ECU is toast. I had an angle sensor on the hydraulic pump on my EX400 that when it heated up would blow the 1 Amp fuse for the ECU and put the machine into limp mode. Good luck.

  7. #7declangately2012-08-03 05:05

    thanks for reply Scrapper, all the parts you mentioned above i would not be fully sure which is exactly which. i did disconnect every wire i could see inside the door where the hydraulic pump is, would that cover all the above that you mentioned or are there a few along side the engine itself? at the moment i use the digger with the throttle cable tied back. and turn off with manual stopper. only occasionally use machine on own farm so was thinking it could be something along throttle wise being stiff or not moving correctly.

  8. #8Scrapper2012-08-03 17:16

    Hopefully one the guys here on the forum that work on these machines will answer you soon. I'm not a mechanic and I'm not sure your machine is the same as mine if yours is a -2 since my EX400 which is a -3. The original poster to this thread had a -2 machine. I don't have a manual engine kill on my machine so I'm thinking it might be different than your. The throttle stepper motor on my machine is located behind the engine near the counter weight on the left hand side of the machine and is connected to the injection pump by a cable. This is a picture of the throttle stepper motor and I belie the position sensor that was replaced because it was thought to be the cause of the 1 Amp fuse to blow. Which it turned out it wasn't so I kept this motor as a spare. The mechanic then replaced the entire wiring harness on the machine. Which didn't fix the problem either. It was in pretty bad shape from years of heat so it was a good thing to get replaced anyway. He then replaced the ECU which was toast and that's what ended up being the cause of the fuse to blow. Ya you can imagine how much this bill was when he got done. I have also had my engine kill motor go bad. I don't think that caused the 1 Amp fuse to blow but I think it did blow a different fuse. That motor on my machine is located above the bell housing or transmission between the engine and the hydraulic pump and is wrapped in a blue cloth type bag and also has a cable running to the injection pump. There is also a speed sensor on the transmission that could go bad and might blow your fuse. I would try disconnecting that too and see if that stops your fuse from blowing. Here is a picture of my hydraulic pump. There are about 6 different plugs on my pump. Yours could have more or less. If you unhooked them all I would see if that stops your fuse from blowing and then move on the the other parts I mentioned if your machine is equipped with them. Did you have any luck getting the fuse not to blow after unhooking the plugs on the hydraulic pump?

  9. #9declangately2012-08-04 15:14

    thanks for all your help and photos. my digger is a ex60-3 alright. the stepper motor is attached to the back of the diesel tank. i have the manual shut off under the seat. i didnt get a chance to carry out what you are suggesting but i will but might be a little while before i get to it. will definetly let you know how i get on though. i was using the digger again the other way and just have a few more jobs to do before i attack it.