Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mixing Volvo and Hitachi Hydraulic Fluid- Good or bad idea?

ARPlante ยท 2014-02-27 23:14

Hi guys, We currently have a 2012 John Deere 160D excavator with several specialized land clearing attachments that I would like to share with a new Volvo 160D. I know the Deere/Hitachi runs a zinc free oil, but I was curious if the hydraulic oil in current Volvo excavators is zinc free as well? Is the Deere/Hitachi hydraulic oil compatible with the Volvo hydraulic oil? Thanks for the help, Andrew

Replies3
  1. #1GregD12014-02-28 05:38

    It`s been a while since I have looked at the Volvo oil spec but Hitachi has always been labeled a 4,000 hour oil life and most everything else a 2,000 hour oil and if you mix them they have claimed it now turns it all into a 2,000 hr life span.

  2. #2blitz1382014-03-02 18:17

    You absolutely can not run Volvo hydraulic fluid in a Hitachi machine. I cant say for certain if you can run zinc free in the Volvo but it would be a waste of money.

  3. #3ARPlante2014-03-02 19:49

    Ok guys- thanks. I figured mixing zinc with non-zinc would be a bad thing- thanks for the confirmation.