Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

mobil 424, good subs???

case310350 ยท 2020-04-07 21:20

Need to replace the fluid after the pump change on a 580k. specs 424, but that's about 350, compared to a TSC oil of 150.00. Looked at the msds sheets, very close, the 424 has ZINC ALKYLDITHIOPHOSPHATE an anti-wear additive where the TSC does not. also has borate ester possess friction-reducing, antiwear, and anti-oxidant characteristics when blended in lubricating oils . However, borate esters are susceptible to hydrolysis. So is it worth the extra 200+ dollars....

Replies5
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-04-07 21:53

    No ! TCH or it's equivalent. From the service manual.

  2. #2Tyler d4c2020-04-07 22:11

    Personally if it the hydraulic system I'm thinking it is with a gear pump I'd just put in the cheap stuff. If it's the trans I would get the right stuff the book calls for. Cant Afford Something Else Haha

  3. #3case3103502020-04-08 08:56

    was looking through the TSC oils and there iso 46 is closer to the 424. although not goos for transmissions. But found I had 10 gallons of the premium travelers so will go with that. I have used it before in other machines, always noticed the gearbox was slightly louder, i equated that with more wear, but have no science to back that up.

  4. #4Tinkerer2020-04-08 10:08

    I would recommend using hydraulic oil with friction modifiers in it. Did you clean the screen when you replaced the pump ? Super important to do.

  5. #5QLW2020-04-09 21:10

    If still interested in Mobil, look into Summit Racing. 20 gals would be about $275 after rebate.