Need opinions on using in Hydraulic system. Machine is cat AKM 372 with diff steer. Have been using Rotella 15/40. Mobile is $ 3.00 gal cheaper.
Have you investigated the cost comparison of using an SAE10W hydraulic oil compared to the engine oil.? Below are all the options and the appropriate ambient temperature range for each one. For your location and range of temperature the hydraulic work just fine. I think hydraulic oil would be significantly cheaper.
Nige, If I could find 10w close by without having to travel 50 to sixty miles would be my first choice, however the 15w40 is readly available and the high summertime temps in Mississippi, the 15w40 seems to be the better choice over the 10w.
Makes sense. However I would guess MS in summer is probaby no hotter than the Caribbean or the tropical North Coast of S America and we used 10W in all our Cat hydraulics there with no issues. However if it's not available it's not available. Sorry I have no experience of using the Mobil oil in hydraulics but it ought to work. What API specification does it meet.?
API ck-4,cj-4/sn
According to the spec sheet its properties "meet or exceed" a number of specs including Cat ECF-3, so on paper it will work. It's described as a synthetic blend which I would not be personally keen on but that's just my preference. Mobil Delvac™ 1300 Super 15W-40 diesel oil | Mobil Delvac™ Engine Oils Learn how Mobil Delvac™ 1300 Super 15W-40 synthetic blend diesel oil can help extend engine life and provide engine protection. www.mobil.com