Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mod a bucket for another machine? And pin spacings.

fastline · 2020-12-07 15:09

We have a 34" bucket I would like to use on another machine and it is "close" but...... It appears that if I cut off the bushings on the bucket and reweld them on the outside, it should work. Pin diameters are the same. the spread on the 34" is about 11.75" and I need 12.5"... Also, the pin center distance is different. it is 16" and machine uses 19". I realize I would lose a little bucket force, but I can sacrifice some with the smaller bucket and only digging loam soil. But I am not sure if the dog bone would then make contact at full curl.....? You guys ever do something like this? We don't really need the smaller bucket much and hard to justify a new one. Especially with one already sitting here. Just not sure if the bushings will come out easy enough.

Replies8
  1. #1Bls repair2020-12-07 17:15

    People change bucket mounts all the time. Post some photos and you you will get some pointers

  2. #2Delmer2020-12-07 17:44

    sounds like you have it figured out. If you're worried about the pin spacing, make a template out of thin plywood to see if the linkage will hit, or just watch it the first time you use it and see.

  3. #3fastline2020-12-07 18:27

    Thanks, I will get some pics and see what you all think. We also were considering a QC for this machine. Do we have to go to different buckets or are most designed to use factory type buckets? I seem to recall our others where pins were welded on the bucket but I am not sure if that was "proper".

  4. #4JDCrow2020-12-08 00:13

    Depends on what type of QC you are after. A “Pin Grabber” is just that, grabs the pins on the buckets you have. If you go with a “wedge” then usually requires different ears welded on to your buckets to fit the wedge. All sorts of options, just how much you want to spend depends on how fast you want to change buckets, and if by hand or by switch

  5. #5Shimmy12020-12-08 00:52

    Let me guess. You're trying to get it to fit a Komatsu?

  6. #6fastline2020-12-08 12:39

    Nope, this is Cat to Cat.

  7. #770 eliminator2024-09-06 12:03

    you loose force but gain rotation as well so teeth hittin ghte stick and other posibilitys. mock it up with a 2x4 and a hole saw. you can also push past 16 when re welding back.

  8. #8DDoug2024-09-06 13:21

    OP was qty (4) years ago.....