So my question is this. Is it better to try and pin/bushing/tighten one of these units properly? Or just weld it solid to the frame? Right now this thing is like a bucking bronco, slop like you wouldn't believe at the connecting bolts. Previous owner tried to do some welding, but not sure if this was a horrible weld with no fusion or an attempt at limiting the travel by putting on a surrounding weld bead barrier at the connecting link (bar from backhoe to frame). Either way, it is not working and needs a fix. Thoughts on this one?
Welcome to HEF, Rocket999 Are you asking about these arms ?
Yup those are them. The PO put a weld on the frame to arm where bolt 3 goes (both sides), weld is cracked but not too much up and down there, bolts are fairly tight I guess. Spinner nut 1a seems to be nice and tight, not noticing any movement there, same for bolt 12 area, looks good too. But where bolt 10 goes is the big problem area, lots of slop, hole seems elongated from must be years of being loose. I'm thinking PO tried to weld that area around the arm to frame contact point but got no fusion, just about 4 layered weld passes that are good welds on frame side only. So question is...better choice to remove bad weld and re-weld properly all the way around the end of the arm to frame contact point where bolt 10 is? Or remove arm (9), redo the hole and put a tight bushing in with a tight fitting bolt and crank it up real good? Not planning on removing the backhoe portion after the rust-o-ration of that area, but either way will work I suppose. More needing the best solid fix as end result.
Geez, thought this one was a pretty simple question and would get lots of opinions and points of view. Advisable to weld or not...thanks for looking? I...guess....???
I would remove the arm and weld the hole completely shut and drill a new hole.
I have a 1968 530ck with the same issue. The Po on mine liked to weld everything A LOT! The welds on my arm to frame are all busted. Where welding the backhoe permanently becomes an issue is that if you ever have to work on the backhoe control valves. It would be FAR easier to be able to remove the backhoe from the tractor to get in there. I have to replace the seals on my backhoe control valves and I can't bring myself to be like a bat and hang upside down for ever to get in there...
I'm thinking I'm going to weld mine for now and get through the few small jobs I need to get done. Weld can always be cut off later anyways, so it's not like it is an absolute permanent fix. Totally agree with ease of access to certain parts of the hoe end. Wasn't sure if everything was still available to get to or if some parts would be blocked to fix. As long as things stay in one piece I guess it won't be too bad until a teardown and overhaul can happen.