Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Model info

ianjoub ยท 2022-06-03 21:26

I purchased a Koehring 6614 at auction. I have had NO luck finding any info on it. https://www.equipmentfacts.com/list.../auctions/online/214722409/1988-koehring-6614 Does anyone know if these have an aux hydraulic circuit? Can one be added easily if not? I want to add a thumb. I will do a manual one if need be. Any other feedback on this particular machine? To me, the video made the turntable bearing look a little loose. Hydraulics seemed a bit jerky. That could have been the operator or the manual controls could just be a little sticky and need some lube... I found 31,000# operating weight. Would this be fairly accurate for getting shipping quotes?

Replies8
  1. #1crane operator2022-06-03 23:58

    Looks like someone's already had a thumb welded on there from the pictures, and cut it back off.

  2. #2John C.2022-06-05 13:24

    It would be classified as an orphan in runner condition. Looked like he house is about to un-deck itself from the carbody. Operator would likely keep turning his head to see what is slapping him in the back. That would be the seat back as the house bucks back and forth. Pumps are likely Kawasaki. Looks like a 6BD Isuzu engine. Manual levers for hydraulic controls. Hydraulics will be British Standard pipe connections. Think straight pipe with ball nose swivel hoses for connections. Swing and travel motors are likely no longer serviceable for parts. Most of the Japanese machines of those days were designed as front shovels so that one likely has an auxiliary spool you can run a thumb from. Front shovels had a clam style bucket for dropping the load. Most of those machines are OK till the first breakdown.

  3. #3ianjoub2022-06-15 11:40

    Aux spool at far end? Isuzu 6BD engine?

  4. #4ianjoub2022-06-15 11:44

    Drive motors are weak. When I checked the oil on them, one had pressure in it. I assume that is a bad seal from the hydraulic side? Is there any way to take the slack out of the swing plate (carbody to cab)? It does work for now.

  5. #5uffex2022-06-15 12:23

    Good day Sorry the attched is not that helpful but it may bring a smile to your face. Kind regards Uffex

  6. #6ianjoub2022-06-15 17:24

    I put in 2 new batteries, cleaned the fuel tank and filled with fresh diesel, replaced a radiator hose, one hydraulic hose, found and ordered a full set of filters, and greased it. Hopefully it will be good to go for a bit.

  7. #7crane operator2022-06-15 18:31

    A drive motor with a little pressure doesn't necessary mean you have hyd issues. Was it totally full/ no air in it? And a mix of gear oil and hyd oil? If not - they can actually be sealed up enough that temperature change can make a little pressure in the gear side.

  8. #8John C.2022-06-15 18:56

    Nothing to be done with the slewing bearing. They only work for so long and then it is time to change. When the swing reducer starts dropping out into the swing pinion tub, you have gone too long. If you move the machine so the plug is at its highest point on the case and you have oil pressure making oil shoot out around the plug before you take it to the last thread. That's when you know for sure you have a travel motor leaking into the final. My luck has always been that the pressure blows the plug out taking half the last thread in the cover with it and I have oil up to my elbow under my shirt sleeve and little black dots from the top of my forehead down to my belt buckle. Did I mention that it also smells like rotten burned fish.