Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Modifying auger for conditions

roadrunner81 ยท 2012-04-07 12:02

Just curious if anyone has modified an auger for use in sandy or rocky soil. I'm using a 6" bit to auger 6 thousand something post holes for fence. Problem is after augering hole the material wont lift and just falls back into hole, then have a laborer or two clean out holes. Holes are turning out to large in diameter and I'm way over on cost. Today I'm going to wrap the twist of the bit with a 1" strap to hopefully be able to pull more material but any advice would be great?

Replies1
  1. #1skidrowe2012-05-22 21:58

    roadrunner81 your right on track with your idea, I have a 2 foot auger bit that I bought that someone did the same you plan to do . It's just enough to hold the dirt from falling off.