Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Moldboard tips

craydul ยท 2017-11-22 06:55

Any motorgrader operators have any tips on how to set down your moldboard to begin your cut, because its hard for me to see the cutting edge when the board is rolled all the way back. Btw im using a Cat 120M.

Replies4
  1. #1cuttin edge2017-11-25 13:44

    Just have to get used to it. I personally start with the board ahead so I can see the back of the cuttin edge. Mind you I have no gps pods. I let it engauge the ground then roll back as I move the grader. Rolling the blade ahead.and back changes the height without changing your cross slope. I constantly roll ahead and back while cutting a road.

  2. #2craydul2017-11-27 07:22

    Do you think i should use the float feature to find the existing grade and deactivate it once i do?

  3. #3jaclo2017-11-30 23:15

    Are you blading roads or building ****? Basically just always err on the side of caution. You're always better off taking not enough than taking too much. Watch your windrow coming off the edge of your blade. You'll develop a sense for how much you're cutting by how big of a windrow you're blading up. I've never ran a grader with a float feature, personally I think you'll be better off doing it the ol' fashioned way. Takes lots of practice and you'll do it wrong a lot before you do it right. Some day you'll have someone comment on how nice of a job you did. That'll be the day you're a professional like the rest of us. Send me $50 for your professional grader operator trophy and ribbon and I'll be sure to get it in the mail.

  4. #4DMC-Wear-Parts2017-12-02 00:26

    Pulling from our experience running blades, in the field selling cutting edges and doing demos for different styles of edges, I would say there is nothing wrong with you using the float feature to get a feel for the road and then bumping back out of it. I believe that over time this can actually save you a lot of mistakes and teach you more of a standard setting for the roads. Obviously you will still be trying to hit your standard slope based on what your goal is. Getting used to the moldboard being back will come in time, most important thing is to just keep giving it your best and everything will work out.