Anyone have experience with a Mongo Mulcher 27"? Its a high inertia flail type mulcher. There is one locally almost new but thousands less than new and im thinking about getting it for mowing my pond edges, ditches, tree line undergrowth etc. Trail edges, etc. Anyone have experience with this brand? Any known issues running something like this on a CAT 305e2? Is there a downside to the flail type head rather than carbide drum? This is 1/3 the cost of a drum type Will something like this grind up brush piles to mulch? 27" High Inertia Mulcher - Mongo Attachments The 27″ High Inertia Mulcher by Mongo Attachments clears overgrown land with ease. Built for 2–5 ton machines, it delivers safe, reliable performance. mongoattachments.com
I don't have any experience with masticaters/mulchers, so I can't offer anything specific to them. I do have experience with attachments though, and I would suggest that you be sure that the 305e2 has the pressure and flow to run the attachment you are going to install. Best to be absolutely certain by putting a flow meter on the machine.
PM Tree muncher in the forestry forum here. From what I have read from him I would term him an expert.
The big thing with mulchers and flail mowers is the wear parts quality and availability. A damaged blade or tooth can wreck your day without have spares on hand and turn into a nightmare if you have to wait for weeks for delivery. This scenario has been encountered by plenty in this game.
What I noticed about this unit is the flail teeth do not have carbide inserts but rather just a steel tooth held on by a bolt. Impact would make quick work of changing im guessing but running down on a boulder would wreck a bunch of teeth in a hurry id think
The website says they use factory spec to flow match each unit to the machine its intended for. My Cat 305 flow rate should be close to spec I would think since its fairly low hours. The used unit i was looking at was purchased for a smaller machine so i have a question in to the manufacturer if there is a way to look up if that actually has a different motor or maybe its been tuned down or something.
Those type of blades are one of a standard type aka known as hammers for vegetation up to 6"diametre, others for mowing grass are Y and right-angled blades Tungsten tipped teeth are fixed and mainly for forestry mulchers used in larger vegetation which is usually beyond what this type can handle.
I just ordered the Mongo attachments 35" forestry head with bite limiter. It's a little different than the one you are asking about but looks like it will run comparable with the FAE. I'm excited to see how it does. Jordan has been great to work with so far. -BG
I watched some comparison videos and this is a good one comparing the forestry mulcher with the flail type mulcher from Mongo. The Flail is 12K and the forestry mulcher is 18K. After seeing the results from the flail, its not something im really interested in even though its a lot less money. So im leaning towards a new forestry mulcher. But because of its cost ill need to do some paying jobs with it.
Sales people know diddle squat about these things can or how they work. For instance, most mulchers will still run effecently at much lower rotor speeds, in this video 1000rpm could be droped off the rotor speed which in turn increases the torque. Torque increases production by heaps especialy when using small excavators with a very limited hydraulic capasity and no changes to the machine or mulcher other than changing the pulley sizes is required There is a second benifit also in that there;s less flying vegetation which makes working around structures or roadsides easier on everyones ticker.
I don't know if you have a secondary aux line on your 305, or if you have a thumb on it if it only has a single aux. PSI is important, if you have a thumb the psi is turned down so that the thumb gives to the bucket breakout. I would look at what the PSI spec is on the attachment and try and meet that. If you have a second aux. its pretty easy. The 305's in my experience don't multi function well when running mulchers. You will need to keep all other movements to a min. while your mulching to keep as much flow as possible to the aux.