I have a Cat 307B small excavator, with matching operator's manual. I'm going to give full detail here in case anyone else is also looking for information on this problem. Pages 62-64 of the OM contain a section on implement flow control for four modes: with/without two-pump flow, with single or double action. Trouble is, it's self-contradictory. The instructions show four ball valves, which I have been able to locate. The valves are numbered 1 to 4 in the images, and there are captions for each valve explaining what it sets (single or double action, single or dual pump flow). Then there is a separate table for all four valves, showing which settings are needed for each combination of actions. For valves 1, 2 and 4, these are all fine. The trouble is, the description for valve 3 is contradictory. The caption says it controls single/double action, but the table shows it controlling single or dual pump flow. One of them has to be wrong, but which one?? I _think_ it controls one or two pump flow, i.e the caption is wrong, but I'm hoping there's someone out there familiar with this machine who can confirm. I've got two reasons for thinking this. If pump 3 really did control single vs double action, there would be 3 ball valves controlling single or double action, and only one controlling one or two pump flow. Since you're generally going to want to control both the pressure and tank sides in tandem, I would expect the valves to be split two-and-two. Also, I have (but don't really know how to read) a hydraulic schematic incorporating the auxiliary circuits (called outside temp attachment in case anyone else has it), and I have a separate schematic for the machine without the auxiliary circuits. Comparing them, there are two extra circuits, shown to the left and right of the main valve. Each contains two ball valves. The left hand one contains two two-line valves labelled 1 and 3. 1 is pretty clearly the valve the operator's manual labels valve 4 (because it's the only ball valve on the boom). And the OM pretty clearly labels that as single vs double action (also, physically, together with a one-way valve, it controls cross-flow between pump and tank on the boom, which kind of makes sense for single vs double action, but not for one vs two pump flow). But valve 3 in the OM (and in the physical machine) is clearly as a 3-line valve. The only 3-line ball valve in the schematic is in the circuit on the right hand side, and it's labelled valve 10 in the schematic. So that seems to make it part of the one/two pump flow control (I think it controls the flow to drain, while valve 7 in the diagram (1 in the OM) controls the pressure side, of the flow from the second pump). Thanks to anyone who can help confirm this (or disconfirm, if that's the way it goes).
are you able to upload the diagrams that you mention above and your machines serial number kind regards
A Serial Number also gets you a hydraulic schematic, which may help you in interpreting the system.