Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Morbark 1300 again….brake parts

Tony Wells ยท 2021-12-04 03:09

SN 571-211 These manufacturers who spec custom axles should be shot. Dexter made 25,000 axles for this Morbark, and for some reason the springs on the rearmost axle have sagged to the point the frame is resting on the brake adjusters. So, to tear this all down, our mechanics torch the LH S-cam into a few pieces. I suppose they figured they could be replaced. Not so fast! Dexter made or had made, the brake parts. Now, there is nothing available new from Dexter or anyone else we can find. It looks like I'll be the scrounger to scour the boneyards for parts. Does anyone have any ideas on where old Morbarks go when they die?

Replies8
  1. #1Former Wrench2021-12-04 12:38

    Go online to Logger's World. Pull up one of the old issues. Look for ads from 2-3 equipment used parts/machine dismantlers that advertise there. Good luck.

  2. #2Tony Wells2021-12-04 13:17

    Thanks Former Wrench....It sounds like a good place to start. Dexter sure was not interested in it. I figure I will end up with a used one. Well this machine is 22 years old, so surely there are some donors around.

  3. #3Jonas3022021-12-04 20:06

    Do you know what part # your cam is if not give the measurements will usually find one http://www.dexterpartsonline.com/files/2038083/uploaded/22-5-27-5K-Complete Catalog.pdf

  4. #4Tony Wells2021-12-04 23:28

    From Dexter (I believe, if not this comes from Morbark), it is no 8a on this breakdown, pn 29307-139, Camshaft, LH Morbark simply said it's obsolete in their system, NLA. Dexter says they built the axles special for Morbark and they stock nothing for it. As it is cut up with a torch, I don't have a way to get accurate dimensions without pulling the RH side, which we have opened up, or tearing down another LH side of an axle. The RH side has no issues, and is put together, but if I had to, I could get the guys to pull the cam if I have to match it up by dimensions. Looking at page 24 of your link, the only difference I see is the length. That I can get without tearing down that side. Whether it is available is another story. But that does give me another chance to hunt by part number. Thank you. It definitely is a large 'S' design. Our shop manager has been on the phone with just about everyone at Dexter and gotten nowhere, but there's always something out there. Even if I had to get a longer one and recut the splines, I can do that. The other dimensions look the same. Monday I'll try to get some firm measurements. In desperation, we've even considered cutting and moving the brake cans and associated mounts, but I am against that.

  5. #5Tony Wells2021-12-07 01:14

    OK....our shop manager got a non-local JD dealer to get this coming from Morbark. Apparently they did have it in stock, but would not deal straight with our shop as a non-dealer. Understandable, but they told us it was not a stock item. Not true. This Deere dealer said he would have it to us in 4 days. From Morbark. I hunted through many salvage yards up in timber country, found lots of logging equipment but very few processing machines in the way of grinders and screens and the equipment we use. I did find a 1300 with no engine, but said to be roadworthy. Don't think I want to buy that just to get an S cam. But anyway, that problem appears to be solved.

  6. #6Vetech632021-12-07 07:56

    You need to file a complaint in the "parts guys" thread

  7. #7treemuncher2021-12-07 08:05

    Glad to hear your issue is resolved the easy way. My suggestion would have been to find a longer shaft with the same ends and then cut out the excess and weld back together. Machining it to size with a lathe would allow for a quality fit if approached properly. Thankfully you won't have to do that.

  8. #8Tony Wells2021-12-07 10:16

    I was glad we were able to get the correct part through a cooperative dealer. Ironically, it's the same dealer network, but a parts guy who perhaps is more familiar with grinders. Here in Tyler, we're sort of on the edge to just outside the more active timber region of East Texas, so it's not too surprising that the local guys don't have to deal with Morbark too much. Given no other choice, I had found a longer one and intended to cut off and spline it. That would have been relatively easy. And more trustworthy than welding up a shaft repair, although I have done countless shafts. This is brakes though, and I'd think that the DOT would not smile upon the practice. New splines would have been indistinguishable from original, and no question at all about a repair weld. VETECH, to be fair, it was the factory that would not sell to us because of policy, which I guess we just have to live with. Most have that policy. I did, however, get Danfoss to send me parts directly at one time, but that's the exception. Now on the other hand, they did give us all the tech data on the leaf springs for the machine, and the part numbers for everything that got burned off, so when we did go to the dealer, we didn't have to labor through that process to get the correct parts. I suppose if I had a complaint, it would have to be that it would appear that there was little interest from the locals in getting us out of a bind, because even after us doing the homework, they still only promised a 4 week delivery. We got the springs in less than a week from the out of town supplier. That falls right in with the linear actuator I tried to buy from them for the tub reversal valve. Plus the cost, naturally. They said 2 weeks and a little under a grand. I went to an automation supplier I use and found an exact fit replacement for about $100. And had it in 3 days. But that's really Morbark on the price, and everything is shipping slow right now it seems. So maybe they were just being cautious. Or maybe they were trying to discourage me. My main guy at that dealer doesn't have a clue on grinders. But I came out better on my own anyway. Everybody has a part to play I guess. It doesn't help that this machine is 22 years old and they don't want to keep it going, they want us to buy a new one. But as it stands, it's for sale, and there are potential buyers standing by.