Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Morbark track chipper undercarriage

NYlogger ยท 2012-12-20 19:51

We have a Morbark model 20 chipper that has a 225 CAT undercarriage. The right track has little power. It feels like the hydraulic motor is giving it power but it is fighting it. I have an idea that it is the brake hanging up. Im pretty sure that it takes power to release the brake. I was wondering if there was a way to totally release the brake to determine if thats the issue or not. I have not taken anything apart yet as I am just trying to gather how everything works before I tear anything apart. Also is there anyway for me to get my hands of a parts manual for that undercarriage? Dave.

Replies2
  1. #1Lee-online2012-12-20 21:48

    Are you sure its a 225? If it is then it will have a bent axis motor, a pretty big motor sticking out the back of the final. It has a brake pack between it and the final. It uses hydraulic pressure to release the brakes that comes from a brake valve. 300 series cats have a smaller straight motor with internal brakes. If you can find any cat part numbers on the motor or parts I can see what system you have. Taking a picture will really help.

  2. #2NYlogger2012-12-23 18:18

    I am pretty sure it is a 225. It has the large motor with the brake pack. I found some numbers on the outside of the final drive. They were 3v8906 and mdwudu. Ill try to get a pic. Thanks