Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

More changes to MA hosting renewal process

mws_1984 ยท 2014-04-14 17:36

Just got the email that they have changed things again. They had required continuing education certificate to be sent with any renewal after May 1, 2014, now they have extended it to September 1, 2014. I am definitely not thrilled because I had started the process already. But upon being in touch with the person in charge of where I'm doing the continuing education, they said I can use it for the next time and I'll just have it way ahead of when I need it. I was due to renew in June so I was going to need it. Also they are now making it so you have to use a medical examiner off their list to get your DOT health card. This is effective for any renewals after May 21, 2014 and from what I make of it if you get one prior to that date it will still be good til the expiration date they put on it. Is that what everyone would make of it. Cause I'm thrown for a loop. My doctor isn't on the list. So if I went to get checked out prior to May 21 and get a DOT card then it should be good to go. I'll just have to use someone off their list come the next time? Including the info from the email I got. EXTENSION TO THE CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS Please be advised that the deadline for completion of the Continuing Education requirements contained in 520 CMR 6.00: HOISTING MACHINERY, has been extended to September 1, 2014. Licensees whose Hoisting Machinery License expires prior to this date will not be required to submit Continuing Education at the time of renewal. Hoisting Machinery Licenses that expire on or after September 1, 2014 shall provide Continuing Education at the time of renewal. Any Licensee who is unable to obtain the required Continuing Education necessary to renew their License may request that the License be placed in an inactive status for up to 1 Continuing Education cycle. No Hoisting Machinery operations shall take place while the License is in an inactive status. The regulations, as well as FAQs, can be found here. THE NATIONAL REGISTRY OF CERTIFIED MEDICAL EXAMINERS Effective May 21, 2014, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration ("FMCSA") will require that all commercial motor vehicle ("CMV") medical examinations be performed by an FMCSA approved medical examiner that is listed on the new National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners ("National Registry"). The FMCSA states that, "The National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners (National Registry) lists medical examiners (MEs) who have been trained, tested and certified to perform medical examinations for commercial motor vehicle (CMV) drivers in interstate commerce. These MEs fully understand the medical standards in the FMCSA Regulations, related guidance and how they relate to the medical demands of operating a commercial motor vehicle." To comply with the changes of the FMCSA, the Department will only recognize DOT Medical Certificates approved by a medical examiner that is listed on the National Registry effective May 21, 2014. DOT Medical Certificates that were issued prior to May 21, 2014 are valid until the expiration date. For a list of the approved medical examiners on the National Registry, or for information about this new program and the FMCSA, please visit their website at https://nationalregistry.fmcsa.dot.gov/NRPublicUI/home.seam .

Replies2
  1. #1old-iron-habit2014-04-14 21:18

    Last fall my doctor told me this was coming in the spring. The doctors that are certified have to electronically file your med card. No more carrying it yourself. I got a letter from DOT a couple weeks before my health card was set to expire last October that said if I did not have a new med card in to the license renewal office by my birthday, my license would be terminated and I would be issued a Class C. So my question is if someone makes a mistake and misses a renewal does one have to take his license exams over again? Pay the $87.00(MN) for the license renewal again plus having to test out, both written and driving. Many people don't keep an active medical card that have a CDL. Nice to keep the CDL even if not actively driving so you can go get the physical and drive again if the need comes up.

  2. #2mws_19842014-04-15 08:55

    I would not think if you miss a renewal that you would need to take the test over again, but this might be a question to ask the state so you know for sure. I know I try to be on top of things with licenses so they don't expire and I get everything done in a timely manner.