Heres a few more pics of another job that we done back in the 70s with me on the TD15 & scraper going down the hill. all the pics were taken with a kodak camera think it was called brownie 127 used to allways have it in the tool box on the machine.
dozer work Some more
some more
dozer pics and more
dozer pics some more
one more The main cut thru the hill when finished.
Great memories of the old stuff.I never tire of seeing these great pics!Thanks,Ron G
did you have to drill and shoot those walls like that or can you just straight wall that kind of material you were talking about like that and it will stay
Thanks for the pics, I was suprised at the verticle cuts also, can you elaborate on that? Looks like pretty good material to work with, not the stuck part though LOL
never seen a 'blade' go in that deep...seen a few stuck but never like that.....very nice pictures though thanks for sharing them
What an achievement, that is a great collection of photos to own and to be able to look back on.
The material is all volcanic in origin with pumice and volcanic ash very easy digging dont have to drill/blast, batters were all trimmed with the grader thats why its getting winched up the hill to trim the start of the cut, once it was trimmed we would take another 2metres of then trim the batter as we came down. The job was to put stop banks around and across an area of swampy land bordering a river down stream from a large paper mill in NZ so that all their effluent went into these ponds, the ponds were all linked together with cuts through the hills and had aerating machines in them to aerate the water that after traveling thru the ponds for several kms went back into the river a whole lot cleaner than it used to be.
Interesting project, thanks for sharing
Actual we have soil like yours it is loam(sand clay) and is located in the Loess Hills in western Iowa and Mo. It along the Missouri river in the buffs east of Omaha,Neb/Council Buffs,Iowa. I work at Mound City ,Mo on I29 and we cut the interstate backslope like you did but came down 20' benched out 10' and continued down to bottom of cut.Slopes were 1/4 to 1 and we used a blade to finish the slope with the blade run out to the side straight up and down. That was year 1970 used 637's push and pulls.Moved two million yards of dirt from April until late Oct. with 6-scrapers running double shifts the last 6 months of the job.You could work almost everyday run or shine. Used a Cat 824 rubber tired dozer pulling a weggie board(21' box scraper).On the haul road.Great pictures and your lucky the dozer on the back slope didn't roll.Thanks
A few more dozer pics A few more pics of access road to a hydro station and coupe of the dozers I spent many an hour on.
TD 15C new in 1974 on its first job ,the one with rops going to its first job April 1st 1978. the other is a TD25c.
man i wish we had some soil like that around here, all we have is some clay and rock...solid rock, haha
big beautiful and powerful machines. Is that you in front of the International?
Sure is, man I wish I was that age again , was 28 and bullet proof back then.
I was 28 in 1978 too. I have a 1978 TD15-C now, but it took me a while to get it. Had a 1973 15-C that I put quite a bit of time on. Used some good parts off of it to make a good 1978 which I rarely use. Use more small machines of late. Very good pictures. Thanks for sharing! FWD
More pics, we need more pics!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks for sharing
Thanks for posting RDG. Great pics and machines, Is that GA Renners gear ? He certainly loved his IH stuff. Merv :drinkup
Those are great pics:drinkupwill have to link the RP boys over, any 25 pics?????
more dozer pics some more from various jobs
still more
And some more
And more and more
Still more
A few more
The end for now
Thanks for posting a lot of brilliant photos-what is the story to the two photos before the end photo of the Komatsu? Neil
The two pics before the one of the D9G were taken in the South Island of NZ on the Twizel hydro scheme back in about 74/75, was passing thru and snapped tose shots on the way past. The D10 wasn't born then the D9 was the measuring stick back then, those being D9Gs & D8Hs, S 24 & TS 24 scrapers.
RDG.. let me guess.. you are mostly deaf now? You are really lucky that non rops tractor did not put you under. Those were some great photos. ConstructO.. I always wondered about that huge cut at squaw creek. Now the canyon on the north side halfway up the hill looks like it will get the road. Wish I had just a little of those concrete slabs they dumped in there.
Nope not deaf, allways wore ear muffs and still do today , I will never be as deaf as the today generation who wear Ipods in their ears with the vol screwed right up all day long. I was not on the D4 but the guy that was it sure was his lucky day.
Thanks for the pics RDG, fun to look back
RDG.. glad to hear you have always used earmuffs. Me too. Reason I asked was the 3rd and 6th pic shows a lad operating a dozer with no muffler and I can't see anything on his ears, maybe he (or you?) had plugs. I know several old guys my age that did not bother with that and they are stone deaf unless you yell in their ear!! great pics and thanks!
Huh, I can't hear ya we used to use cotton until the foam ear plugs came along
Hi RDG, thought I reconised the photos at Twizel. The red D9 was owned by Downers and is pushing a Terex TS24 owned by **** Collis and the yellow Terex S24 scraper in the centre owned by Higgins Earthmoving. I spent several years on this project as a diesel mechanic. John
You are pretty observant Olddirt I havn,t got my muffs on there, it was probably one of those days I felt like listening to the sweet sound of diesel being burned but trust me they were in the tool box beside me. They were not as noisy as you would think as the turbo muffeld the sound quiet a bit and the exhaust was above your head level.
Love the old pics, wish we had more from the good days ourselves. Thanks for sharing. Trbo
Heres a few more pics of some jobs and quarries I have been on years ago, the ones of the 10s & 651s and 627s were taken over here in OZ by a friend before we came over here. Cheers RDG.
Some more
And some more
The last for now
RDG, great pics! Are the D10's L models? that would've made them the biggest of their day right?
Dont think they were officially called a D 10 L but they would have been the early models with the D348 V 12 @ 700hp, and later going on to be the D11.
Cat Never Built a D10L. Went from D10 Straight to D11N and or D10N, which was actually a revamped D9L.
Really great photos RDG What are you doing for a living over there Kerry
Still playin in the dirt, Foreman/ final trim grader operator, *** dozer,scraper, excavator, compactor, pozzi trak, bobcat operator, for an outfit here on the Sunshine Coast in Qld. RDG.
Awesome pics RDG! Any more you'd care to bring forth?
Hi RDG, sorry this is so late in coming, but what is the PINK thing?(last two pic's) Nelson.
That is an Allis Chalmers HD 14 painted in AC orange, pics a bit faded, with me in the seat when I was about 17 or so back in the 60s. GM 6-71 engine with a Baker Hyd Angle dozer and a Carco logging winch on the back, about equal to a Cat D8 2U in power and weight. The HD 15 replaced it, still with the same motor then the 16 replaced the 15 and the 16 had Budda or AC engine not sure which. So thats the PINK dozer. Cheers RDG.
Hi very interesing thread i have a litle old HD5 Allis 2 71 GM handy small property machine :drinkup Cheers John :drinkup
Thanks for that RDG, the faded photo would explain the colour, it was so tidy I thought some one had rebuilt it and painted it wrong! The old Detroit's have an unmistakable cackle to them you would never lose them in the bush. Were the Baker blades a NZ fit or did they come in built up? Thanks for that, sorry for the questions, Nelson.
The Baker blades were US made and were usually fitted to AC machines namely the 5, 7, 10 & 14 along with Garwood who were another blade manurfacturer for AC. The next models out the 6, 9, 11, 15,19, & 20 all pretty much had front mounted blades either cable or hyd. That particular HD 14 was owned by my uncle who bought it 2nd hand in about 1966/67 for 500 quid in those days and had army green paint on it in places and was brought in from the pacific islands after the war. Uncle bought it from a bloke who bought it from Monk Bros who were from from down Gisborne way. A real mans machine to drive ,just about two hands to pull the steering clutches in and the master clutch required a fair old tug as well to get it over centre , u didnt need to go to the gym after work after spending a day on that old girl, it made a man of ya. Cheers RDG.
Very cool to see these old photos, if you have anymore please post them.
What kind of dozer is the red one? Never seen one like it.
Which one do u mean? the one in post 45 is an Allis Chalmers HD 14 and the one in post 31 pushing a scraper is a Cat D9G both are painted Allis Chalmers orange just the pics a bit faded. Cheers RDG.
HI My Son has a HD5A he has put back together and HYD Britstand rippers http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc379/lanz3606/16092011132.jpg And a litle DD Aallis Chalmers Grader and county 1004
This is the one. Never seen arms rise up next to the chassis. Looked like there was a cable or hydraulic line passed across the top.
Very cool pics, thanks for sharing.
Wonderful pics, mate, thanks. Those guys were some sho'nuff cat skinners.
Thats a Baker blade on a HD 14,there is a steel rod between the arms. I had one just like that on a HD7. Don
Hi RDG I hope you dont mind me posting this link here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7f0bc09Tdw&feature=plcp Brainzie
Hi Brainze. Thats a onions 06-8 scoop behind the D6D i think, do you know ? Pretty sure one behind RDG,s TD15 is a 9-11 onions as it has the outer axle support. Where abouts was that job ?
Yep that is a 6-8 onions, that job was out welcome bay, Riverstone park, second stage.
And one just over the road from the one above. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DkOC2T1Jhg&feature=plcp brainzie
Dear old lizards still going strong after best part of 40 years, Never cease to amaze me those old girls, people just keep rebuilding them and keep using them, obviously there still making money for there master. TS14Bs im pretty sure, who,s are they ? Must admit one of the best jobs i had was pushloading 14s for 2 weeks with my 6, even with her 14 was loaded in about 3 scraper lenghts in greasy red clay.
That video was taken about 15 years ago Merv, I`m not sure where those 14`s are now, they were Renco`s and I think RPL ended up with the green one working with the red 14B, That red 14B is in one of the photos earlier in this thread of RDG`s photos with a cab on it. the reason I put the link in here is because nearly all the gear in those 2 videos except the 613, and the green 14b was Renco`s of tauranga, what became of Ian Renner Contracting. Whom I`m pretty sure RDG will know very well, and at least 4 or 5 of the operators in the videos. Yeah those old girls still earn a keep round the country, its great watching fullas who know how to operate them and move dirt. Thanks Brainzie
Hi Brainzie, did you work for Renco back then, if so you would have worked with Wally and terry Fowler, let me know, also great job on your Wabcos hope they're giving you a good run. Had a couple myself a while back, one had been converted to hydraulic steering good 11yd machines definitely out performed the S11E s that I had they would out climb them and could wade through a fair amount of crap . I have not long joined the forum seems to be a few posts from the Bay of Plenty area.
I know Wally and Terry, still keep in touch with them, worked with them both @ G A Renner, Swaps, Ian Renner Contracting over the years. Ian Renner Cntr became RPL, but not sure what the story is now think Ian is doing his own thing. There is a site on FB called NZ Road Transport & contracting which has a lot of history and pics on it from all over NZ, put a lot of my pics from yrs ago on there as well as many others from back in the early days. Cheers
Hi RDG, Im living sunny coast also, will check out the FB site. I will post some pictures in the near future of jobs I was on around BOP thanks for the reply.
Welcome Razor. I like the avatar pic of the Euc or Terex pulling a pan. Don't see that to often.
Hi JDOFMEMI The dozer is a Terex 8230B towing a Kokodu 15SBW pan or scoop as we call them in New Zealand. I ran an 18yd Onions and then a Birtley 80 both cable before eventually converting her to full hydraulics for the scoop. I have put some footage on You Tube of my gear working on a playing fields project at Moore park, Looks like Brianzie has already posted it on the forum ,check out his post from the 9-16-2012.
Some photos from my time with Andrews & Rasmussen.
Terex Dozer A few photos of the dozer as I improved it over the years.
And some more.
Looks good Razor. Nice to see a well cared for machine.
yeah looks good Razor. Was your dozer and scoop parked out in front of Dolphs yard a few years ago ?? Dolphs still got that big old 110 powered TS24 in his yard at paeroa too ! cheers :drinkup
Yair . . . Good one Razor . I have never seen a Euc/Terex scooping . . . I can almost hear her howling. With the rear radiator set up and planetary finals those machines were cutting edge technology in their day. They went well and I can only assume it was Corporate shenanigans that led to their demise . . . can anyone comment or post a link as to what happened to the General Motors equipment operation. Cheers.
http://www.terex.com/en/about-terex/terex-history/
Hi D6 Merv Yep that was her parked at Dolphs. I believe Magnums bought the dozer and put rippers back on it, have seen a video on you tube of it, still wearing my company logo. Dolph had intended using that TS24 as an advertising prop out the front of the yard,don't know if that's still the plan.
Hi Scrub Puller You are correct in saying they were cutting edge technology,the steering was multiple disc wet auto adjusting , there were a few issues with plumbing on the trans where they seemed to have dropped the ball, but nothing that couldnt be overcome by manufacturing a new junction block on top of the trans out of a piece of billet alloy. The bottom rollers didn't handle the scoop work well either so I took the track beds off filled in the scollops left by the old horizontal bolt Terex ones ,milled 55mm out of the track bed at each roller station and replaced them with Komatsu 155 rollers, no more problems with rollers heating up after that. Fortunately the pedestals took D8H/K rollers, way cheaper than the Terex replacements.
Yair . . . Razor . Gotcha mate thanks for the reply. Were the Terex rollers over engineered with Timken tapers by any chance . . . or what was the reason they got it wrong with such a simple component as a roller. A couple of outfits tried pulling with TC12s and one of the first stories we heard about their woes was they were having trouble keeping up with burnt out rollers. We knew all about it of course with preloaded Timken bearings on the Allis 21s . . . by all accounts the Terexes were even worse . . . sometimes it pays to keep it low-tech and simple. Heavy Metal . Thank you for the link, I will read it later with interest. Cheers.
Yep right on the money with the Timken tapered bearings.
For all that may be interested in the old Euclid/Terex line here is a link to the Blackwood Hodge site which used/sold those old products and one could spend hours there.I may have gotten the link here for all I know but have spent many hours there reminiscing of the old days.Ron G http://blackwood-hodge.typepad.com/home/archives.html
I worked along side a tidy 8240B in Scotland during the ' 90 ' s. It had a nice modular roos cab and was used to push TS14 ' or pull a Cat 435.It was a quick and powerful tractor and seemed reliable all though I wouldn't consider ever buying one