Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

More powerful excavator?

MattB ยท 2013-02-20 23:13

I'm looking at smaller excavators for running high flow attachments. The ideal size for my work is not much larger than an 8 ton excavator. But it looks like the HP in this size category doesn't give me the power I need. Are there any companies that are dramatically out of step with their horse power to size ratio? A high hp tool carrying excavator?

Replies6
  1. #1catken2013-02-21 00:43

    Talk to your equipment dealers. One of them should be able to set you up. They'll be able to match your hyd to your attachments with the correct power.

  2. #2The Learner2013-02-21 01:40

    going from spec sheets hitachi/deere machines and bobcats e55 and smaller are fairly well stocked with horsepower and auxiliary flow but this is only spec sheets so who knows how many functions can be used with the auxiliary running at full capacity only real seat time with the desired attachment will tell u if it has power/flow/pressure needed

  3. #3Hendrik2013-02-21 22:16

    Machines are matched with the required horse power, no point putting a big engine into a small machine.

  4. #4MattB2013-02-21 22:40

    I think I found something like what I'm describing although not the perfect machine. A Menzi Muck weighs in at about 22k lbs with a 140hp engine. I guess they saw the point in putting a big engine in a small excavator.

  5. #5TrentNz2013-02-22 00:06

    they have alot more to run hydraulic wise and probably need more power to pull them selves up hills and what not.

  6. #6John C.2013-02-22 00:46

    The world has changed grasshopper. The big design point of excavators now is moving dirt and using less fuel. Variable displacement pumps that load sense off the engine allow the use of a small engine and a large pump. You have to design your idea around the sweet spot in horsepower for all your functions.