I stumbled upon this.......This guy is making a complete mess,horrible set up,very poor technique,slow cycle times...oh and yeah count how many times this "operator" slams the bucket open. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA5K54U3DjQ
Sorry I dont agree. We know nothing about the operator or how many hours exp he has. Positives, the machine is level and positioned facing the excavation. It appears that he needs the spoil well back but has no means of transport to move it so is placing each bucket full as far as possible away from his position so reducing the need to move it again to complete his excavation or in a position for haymaking ( throwing again) or loading away. This slows down his cycle time compared to throwing it in a heap at half max reach but he would then possibly have to move it again. Wheres the spoil from the excavated hole ? trucked away maybe. Doing the bulk with the digging bucket not the ditching bucket thats sat behind him, that it would seem he used to bottom up his first part of the excavation. Cameraman and everybody else is well clear of his operating range. Negatives, pity he seemed to polished the a** on the spoil after repositioning but at least it was soft, ( if he indeed caught it ) its a shame that somebody taught him to rattle the bucket each time to keep it clean but at least they didn't teach him to beat it on the floor at max reach. But thats just :my2c:drinkup
I dunno, Rob. I think I'm more with Reuben on this. While I agree about the need to place the spoil as far away as he can, the guy just isn't very smooth in anything he does, and the banging of the bucket at the end of every cycle was getting downright annoying. If it were muddy, I could see trying to keep anything from sticking in there, but you can see the dust flying when he does it. That having been said, we were all probably at that skill/experience level at some point, so we'll just say this is constructive criticsm...
not the best I have seen but by far not the worst ,if I was to critisize it would be over the lack of laying out his dig properly but as we all know each site has it own limitations ,layouts and other constraints not readily obvious from a couple of minutes of tape. Stock
kinda looks like their were two operators. Notice that the guy in the video repositions before he is finished where he started. Yet just out of reach you can see finished work. Now while the guy in the video is by no means a pro, he has been in a machine before. I'm going to guess its a father / son deal where the guy in the video would be the son, and dad is lettin junior hone his skill and might not be present.
I'll side with both opinions on this one...if that's allowed. What I think we're seeing is someone who just hasn't had that much experience up to this point. Yes, they are doing things most would consider wrong, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here.......might as well, I spent all of last night giving people the benefit of the doubt....(*^%$%&*(haultruck drivers*&%%^&^^&*. The constant slamming of the bucket cylinder though....... Brian
As others said, the banging bucket is annoying, but I've seen worse operators. (Sometimes they are looking at me in the mirror. )
Hey, we were all new at one point.
I'm with Rob on this one. The guy may not be a pro, but his cycles were consistent, the bucket was full most times, and as far as throwing the dirt that far back, it looks like there is still a fair amount to dig, and he needs the room for it. He does not need to slam the bucket cylinder like that though. I have a very good hoe operator, and when I started overseeing him, he banged the bucket cylinder like that 80 percent of the time. I told him about it, and explained the damage being done, and now he does not do it. He immediatley stopped. He said nobody had ever told him not to do that before, and he had been running a hoe for at least 10 years. What I couldn't believe is that nobody cared enough to teach him the right way.
Very Good point On simply not knowing
Here's my two bits worth. The video quality is rather poor, which makes it difficult to judge some aspects of this. The cycle times seem OK. When the machine is not moving forwards or backwards, cycle times might be about twenty seconds. However, some of that moving forwards and backwards seems like wasted energy. It does seem that the operator is a bit disorganized. At least the pattern to the digging is not readily apparent. Maybe that doesn't really matter much until they near the bottom of the hole, and as long as the end result works out. The soil also looks sandy or loose, which would make it difficult to have neat looking excavation.
i also noticed no plan to the excavation,,,also he seems to be a little heavy on the boom..looks like he lets the spoil stop his swing...speed looks good tho