Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Liebherr R9800, what a beast…..!

Big Tackle Boy · 2008-11-14 13:14

Just taken delivery of my new excavator, and was wondering if anybody need a some ditching work doing.....? Been away for a while, not sure you guys have seen this yet but for those that havent here's a glimpse at the new Liebherr R9800 Hydraulic Mining Excavator.

Replies42
  1. #1Jeffksf2008-11-14 13:23

    Awesome! How many cyds. in the bucket?

  2. #2Northart2008-11-14 13:45

    Tracks How about cleaning them tracks after work ?? LOL The Foreman sez .

  3. #3mcc10752008-11-14 14:17

    The first word that comes to mind is wow, now that is a big shovel!!

  4. #4Big Tackle Boy2008-11-14 15:17

    Will try and find out for you Jeff but I suspect it will have alot to do with material density, configuation and customer requirements. Though, I've been reliably informed bucket capacities are around the 60cyd mark....

  5. #5CarterKraft2008-11-15 14:58

    Very nice.. Can't wait to work on something that big, that has got to be fun.

  6. #6AtlasRob2008-11-15 15:50

    Good to see you posting again BTB and what a comeback :thumbsup :drinkup

  7. #7alco2008-11-15 15:55

    The bucket is 42 cubic meters or just shy of 55 cubic yards. Brian

  8. #8Big Tackle Boy2008-11-16 07:03

    Hey, thanks Rob, good to see you again How is business atm? I know from our point of view the general plant and earth moving side has slowed but plenty of specialist projects going on still in the London area. When you going to come to Biggleswade and have a look about? Got plenty of kit for you to have a look at

  9. #9AtlasRob2008-11-16 17:13

    Thanks for the invite, but can I afford it Went from M25 down to M27 Southampton but will be looking for something new for the New Year, might be a bit bleak but got the fingers crossed

  10. #10Big Tackle Boy2008-11-17 06:28

    Well it never hurts to have a look at the competition and you obviously like quality German built machines anyway As for affording it, well I'm sure we could come up with a very tempting package for you BTB

  11. #11Gavin84w2008-11-17 07:13

    It,s coming down under and at first i thought it would go to the site Thiess currently has the largest trucks at, Mt Owen, however i have heard they are getting 797B for Goonyella so that sounds more feasible.

  12. #12indian3472008-11-17 16:40

    Big Mother What kind of power ? Jim

  13. #13Cat-385BL2008-11-27 21:41

    DAYUM! Thats huge! Any more pictures?

  14. #14Polar Bear2008-11-28 16:49

    wonder what it spend in hour on fule ? in hard worke

  15. #15Cat-385BL2008-11-28 18:11

    I'd simply like to know what type diesel is in this beast, plus, how many of them as I'm sure one just isn't enough power to operate that entire machine, unless its one MASSIVE diesel!

  16. #16Polar Bear2008-11-28 18:19

    The new Liebherr mining excavator: driven by two 1,492 kW/2,000 PS 16-cylinder V-engines, the Liebherr R 9800 boasts a 42 m³ bucket capacity. In conjunction with rapid loading cycles and tremendous ripper and breakout forces, the R 9800 offers high loading capacity and is the perfect loader for 220-t, 290-t and 360-t mining trucks. Operating weight 1,748,266 - 1,772,517 lb Engine output 2984 kW/4000 HP (SAE J1349) Backhoe bucket capacity 54.90 yd³ @ 3,000 lb/yd³ Shovel capacity 54.90 yd³ @ 3,000 lb/yd³

  17. #17Haul-Pak2008-11-28 18:24

    Its going to Be Specced for MTU or QSK60 Cummin's

  18. #18Cat-385BL2008-11-28 18:39

    WOW! Is all I can say!

  19. #19Chris55002009-12-07 02:16

    Here's a thread from DHS with pics of the 9800 working at Burton downs mine in Oz.

  20. #20AmericanLandMgt2009-12-07 10:02

    Wow that thing is HUGE! I can only imagine the price tag is equally monumental.

  21. #21ghhs2011-03-12 14:18

    huge, that is pretty nice

  22. #22alco2011-03-12 14:26

    We had some Liebherr engineers touring around up here a couple months ago. They wanted to see the digging conditions first hand so they could get a better idea of what they would be facing when they try to break into the market for shovels here. I guess this means someone is going to have to overlook the reputation their trucks have gained up here, and pony up for a new shovel.

  23. #23jd7002011-03-28 23:51

    hey guys I am new to the forum....but anyway that thing is pretty dang but...what is it like to run a hoe that big..the biggest ive been on was a 385 and that seemed huge to me hopefully one day i"ll get a shot at it sure is pretty

  24. #24Jlillie22011-03-29 10:42

    HMmmm I guess I'd need a bigger trailer eh? I'm bummed, My takeuchi TB25 dosen't have any ladders on it at all... B-(

  25. #25Zed2011-04-03 02:57

    Thiess has just taken delivery of the second machine at Burton, and Downer Mining has put an order in, 2 for a Western Australia project. KPC Indonesia has also put an order in for 3 plus another 7 996's. KPC machines might come with MTU 16V4000's.

  26. #26ANTHONY.2011-04-07 08:06

    Great pictures

  27. #27Ryan Rønning2011-04-08 11:34

    That thing is enormous.

  28. #28plantman.uk2011-04-09 15:59

    Big Dog

  29. #29heavyplant62012-03-13 19:08

    well i'm leaving to the uk and heading to leibherr in perth to start builing these massive lumps!!!!! Anyone got pictures of the modular units apart from that massive boom? Gulp!!!

  30. #30Nige2012-03-13 19:18

    I wonder how long it will take someone to burn one to the ground ...? I have it on good authority that one particular mine in S. America that shall remain nameless has managed to burn a 9600 to the ground not once but twice (and not the same one on both occasions I hasten to add). That must have been expensive ........... :crying :crying

  31. #31heavyplant62012-03-13 19:21

    My god there insurance will jump a bit!!!!! lol

  32. #32Nige2012-03-13 19:44

    AFAIK the insurance company has refused to cover their excavators ......... Problem is, as in all things, the human element. The fire suppression system is a bit like an orgasm. It's a one-shot deal that once you've pulled the pin that's it. If the engine is not shut down before the fire system is activated then the source of fuel (from a bust hydraulic hose for example) could still be spewing everywhere over hot components. The fire system puts out the fire but there is still fuel and a heat source so it flares up again and of course a few 20-pound hand-held extinguishers are not gonna put that bad boy out. The only way to do it is to first put the bucket on the ground, shut the engine off, then hit the button. However it's a lot harder to do that as the operator in a real-life fire, when you're surrounded by flames and you're more concerned getting yourself out alive than saving the machine, than it was in the training class .......

  33. #33heavyplant62012-03-13 20:25

    You would of thought there would be a total shut down system that should be put in place that is linked to all these new control systems by now!!!!!!

  34. #34Nige2012-03-14 07:30

    You know what they say ..... If if's and buts were pots & pans we'd all be rag & bone men .......... but I take your point.

  35. #35alco2012-03-14 09:12

    Any fire supression system I have ever seen on a large machine like this has always been set up to shut the machine down prior to discharging the system. I know all the systems are aftermarket, but they all have that function here.

  36. #36Gavin84w2012-03-15 05:11

    The 9350,s we had on site actually were set up with a deluge system over and above the fire system, basically our 777 water carts had the corresponding hose on them and if possible you would drive up to the machine and connect it on and pump the water into her. Personally i would let the Libra burn.

  37. #37Nige2012-03-15 08:14

    In addition to the wet/dry fire suppression system all our water trucks are all equipped with independent fire suppression monitors, that don't even need connecting to the shovel but I wouldn't bank my next pay cheque (or even what I've got in my wallet !) against Mine Operations being able to get a full truck of water to a burning shovel before it converted itself into a crispy critter. Agree with you 100% on the Liebherr. I'd also add Hitachi to that list as well.

  38. #38Gavin84w2012-03-16 06:07

    Yeah, we call em Libra cos, they are just like the tampon of that name, they only work once a month!

  39. #39pp13bnos2012-03-16 06:36

    I wonder if I could get one with a thumb?

  40. #40alco2012-03-16 15:54

    Even if they could get the water there, sheet metal tends to be a bit of a hinderance to actually getting at the seat of the fire. Spraying water at the outside, will do sweet bugger all to put out the fire.

  41. #41lozenger19672012-03-25 15:33

    i had interview with liebherr for that job in jan, but had interview with hitachi last week fingers crossed, may be over there in competition with you me old mucka,good luck with your new job

  42. #42Zed2012-03-29 01:11

    Most big diggers/shovels I've seen have fire suppression pressure switch which sends an input to OEM system. on the 996 which has a pressurised hydraulic tank, when the fire supp goes off, the engines will shutdown, and it will also open a vent in hydraulic tank to release air pressure. Same if you hit the E-stop. Then there's a timer so the valve stays open for a preset time. Thats why if you hit an e-stop on a 996 you won't have the horn for 10 minutes unless you reset the timer, cause all your air pressure is being vented straight out the hydraulic tank. O&K/terex machines have same pressure switch, same job but hyd tank isn't pressurised. If fire suppression switch activated you can't start engines either...