Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Most effective trenching method for weekend job?

DPForumDog · 2020-11-16 10:44

We need to dig a trench 1000 ft long and 15" deep for pipe to pump water to my garden from our pond. What is the best method to trench this small job? I am thinking about both speed, labor, time and mess in clay soil. Our equipment: We could use our backhoe but I am thinking it would make quite a mess and our huge excavator would too. We also have a few tractors with various implements. Our plow attachment does not work too good in clay soil. Is there a rental attachment for these I don't know about? We could rent a skidsteer trencher attachment for our old New Holland skid steer. Walk Behind trenchers: We could go to Home Depot and rent a walk behind 24" trencher for $150 per day or go to Sunbelt and rent a larger 36" trencher for $180 per day. It seems like the 24" trencher would do our job but i am sure the 36" trencher is more powerful. Would a 36" trencher be faster than a 24" trencher? I have read conflicting information on whether using a skid steer trencher attachment is faster than a walk behind trencher. Some folks say the walk behind trencher is much faster and neater than the skidsteer attachment. I would think the skidsteer attachment would be easier even if it took longer. Which do you think is faster? I have read a little about micro trenchers and skimmer trenchers for smaller projects but I have not seen any of these for rent in our area. Is there a better way? In your opinion what is the best way to handle this project? Thanks, Granny DP DP Forum Dog

Replies15
  1. #1Bls repair2020-11-16 11:47

    For $30 I would go with the bigger one. More power usually means easier faster digging. Are you going to be digging by utilities ? I don’t know about where you live but where I am you have to call for a utility mark out. If you hit a utility and didn’t call your in big trouble.

  2. #2Tinkerer2020-11-16 12:24

    Good, clean clay ? Small rocks can stop a walk behind quite fast. Not a problem with a backhoe close by. The 36" digging 24 " deep will go quite fast.

  3. #3DPForumDog2020-11-16 16:30

    No concern about utility lines as this is in the middle of nowhere. It's hundred of yards from the house

  4. #4Delmer2020-11-16 17:47

    IF you already have a pressure washer, and there's much hassle to getting the rental, then I'd cut the trench with a pressure washer and a straight nozzle or turbo nozzle. Go 20" deep and use a 4' piece of 2x8 to go along behind and make sure the slot is clear enough to put a pipe in it, you'll also have to fill the pipe with water so it will sink into the mud, and hold it in place with dirt as you go, so more work in some ways, and more mess in some ways than a trencher, but a different mess, it will recover quicker, and you'll need to bring in some dirt to fill as the mud dries. Otherwise, a subsoiler with a boot to lay the pipe would do it, or the bigger trencher.

  5. #5jonno6342020-11-16 18:26

    If its in yard, have the sprinkler guys come out and just pull you in a line, wont hardly mess up the yard. Don’t know if they’ll go 15 inches deep.

  6. #6CM19952020-11-16 18:39

    I have a Bobcat trencher attachment for our CTL's - works like a charm and 15" deep is no problem in the Central AL soils we've trenched. No way I'm bouncing behind a walk behind for 1K FT. Where in AL are you located?

  7. #7suladas2020-11-16 19:58

    Unless I was really concerned about disturbing more soil, i'd be doing it with the backhoe or hoe. Way faster then any other method and cheaper not renting anything, skidsteer trencher will still make a mess and so much slower. If you're really ambitious places here rent a chain saw that will do a trench that deep, no disturbance, just one unlucky person who won't walk properly for a while....

  8. #8treemuncher2020-11-16 19:59

    I've rented walk behinds and ride on trenchers. I also own excavators. Any time I need to put in an underground line, especially a long run, it will always be the ride on trencher. You don't get beat to death, minimal disturbance, minimal mess and probably the fastest way to get the job done. I have to deal with clay soil and red rock gravels with some hard layers mixed in at times. The bigger trenchers get the job done FAST unless you get into large sandstone. Whatever the cost difference is, you will make it up in time saved.

  9. #9Jonas3022020-11-16 20:09

    How old is the old new holland does it have a universal bobtach front or the old new Holland style given your choices I would probably use the skid steer mounted one Actually I would probably spend four times as long as it would take to dig the trench by hand to build a tractor mounted plow and reel holder so I could knife it in feed the pipe and cover and then brag how quick that went

  10. #10Tugger22020-11-16 22:45

    I built something like that years ago for a friend that was farming potatoes. Its actually to pull in 4" drainage pipe. He asked for a lug on the front of the plow so they could hook the second 4 wheel drive tractor on to it. Seemed to work pretty well .

  11. #11catman132020-11-17 00:19

    i would go with a big walk behind trencher with tracks

  12. #12JBrady2020-11-17 11:53

    Ride on trencher and you have a backhoe for big rocks. Easy-peeze. If it was me, I'd drop mobile home feeder wire in the same trench if you don't already have power there. 1000' is a long ways for secondary voltage lines, but mobile home feeder wire would still give you at least 40 amps for a couple of lighting circuits, outlets, and a pump if needed.

  13. #13DPForumDog2020-11-24 08:40

    We are near Rainbow City. Lots of clay! We tried to rent a bobcat attachment and none were to be had. (not even in Bham) The cost of a new one is well over 5k.

  14. #14DPForumDog2020-11-24 08:42

    We were thinking 1/0 1/0 1/0 #2 in 2"conduit. I tell paw about mobile home feeder wire. Just from a google search I think they are about the same thing.

  15. #15MinnesotaDave2020-11-24 10:56

    I've used the big trenchers on bobcats. That's the way to go for me - grass grows back and I just want to get done when I'm digging