Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Most useful attachments I should make for my skid steere

alonzo83 ยท 2015-05-24 12:00

Hi guys I just picked up a case 1816b for working around the shop a few weeks back. I was wondering what attachments I should make for it. I can make forklift forks, a small dozer blade, limb rake, tiller attachment, a grapple for the bucket that is currently on it. . . I just don't know what should come first. Is there any one attachment that will increase the machines value more than others? I do plan on selling the machine in a few years and upgrading to a larger skid steere. I want the attachments to go with it. Thank you for reading. and your insight. Alonzo

Replies13
  1. #1DDoug2015-05-24 15:45

    Welding a quick attach plate to a set of forks salvaged from a forklift is easy. It's harder, but worth it to get a set that moves, in/out. Much easier to use.

  2. #2alonzo832015-05-25 00:05

    I plan on a set of forks for sure. It has been helpful around the shop when the forklift is tied up. I found the most expensive attachments for a skid steere, steeres, steeri? seem to be tiller and mulching attachments. When I sell this machine will a tiller or mulcher attachment increase the value of the machine enough to justify the build?

  3. #3Delmer2015-05-25 08:58

    No, I wouldn't do it unless you need the attachment until you sell it, or plan to keep the attachment. Doing a one off is never as efficient as the places that build these attachments in batches. Unless you have most of the components laying around, don't value your time much, and/or value the experience, it's not worth it. Now you might have unique needs or be doing some prototyping or some other reason, but in general competing against established manufacturers isn't a great idea. Speaking of... anybody know if there's an excavator/backhoe mounted pallet fork available? I'm not looking for a twist and tilt that would be multiples of what I have into the backhoe.

  4. #4Jonas3022015-05-25 10:19

    Forks are almost a must have grapple would be nice you don't have enough machine for the other attachments No the attachments wouldn't significantly raise the value

  5. #5movindirt2015-05-25 13:56

    I heard somewhere that selling a homemade mulcher/bushhog is a insurance nightmare iirc

  6. #6DDoug2015-05-25 19:25

    I don't think there is a universal standard in the bucket world like there is in the skid loader world. But....I have seen an attachment that takes the place of your bucket, and gives you the skid steer universal attachment (fake out the front end of A skid loader) And then you could attach the standard fork attachment to that.

  7. #7DDoug2015-05-26 06:50

    I agree 100%, I missed the O.P's part about selling the attachments. Every attachment I make is to the SAEJ2513 standard. So they fit whatever skid steer I change to.

  8. #8Todd v.2015-05-26 15:18

    Probably a simple toothed bucket is number one, followed by a rake grapple then some pallet forks. After that it's mostly specialty stuff and depends on what you're doing. I pretty much never use my straight bucket unless it's dealing with spreding gravel.

  9. #9Swannny2015-05-27 20:48

    I wish I'd made one of these years ago. Tired of dressing up driveways with a bucket with the spill over the edges creating cornrows. Had parts laying around except for the quick attach plate. Takes the wash boarding effect out of the steep hills too.

  10. #10JNB2015-05-27 23:35

    Pretty handy looking grader Swannny.

  11. #11Swannny2015-05-28 08:55

    thanks, JNB! You can borrow it whenever you want.

  12. #12Rob Gunn2015-05-28 15:56

    I have a standard bucket, grapple bucket, forks, snow blade, snow blower, back hoe. I would say that I have my grapple bucket on my Bobcat more than any other attachment.

  13. #13Swannny2015-05-29 08:46

    Here's another useful attachment that slips onto your standard pallet forks. Uncle was building a pole building and did not have auxiliary hydros on his kubota loader, so I whipped this up in several hours out of lally columns laying around. His lift height was around 8' on the loader, walls were 14', and trusses were 7' tall, so it was a lifesaver setting beams and trusses. Columns telescope inside each other, not a super tight fit so it looks a bit like a fishing pole horizontally loaded, but works great.