Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mound size cu.yd.?

GODSDOZER ยท 2022-06-17 13:28

Does anyone know of a formula or a website to calculate cu yds in a mound of dirt that is 12ft tall and has 5:1 slopes all the way around the mound? Thanks for any help.

Replies10
  1. #1mowingman2022-06-17 14:27

    I can not remember it offhand, but it is a fairly easy calculation. Do a search on Google and it will bring up the calculation you need to use. You have all the measurements you need, as the pile is 12' high and has a 60'radius/120' diameter.

  2. #2Willie B2022-06-17 14:29

    V=(1/3) 3.1416 x r x r x h 60' diameter? V=(1/3) x 3.1416 x 30 x 30 x 12 V=.33333 x 3.1416 x 30 x 30 x 12= 11310 cubic feet = 418 cubic yards. I'd want to test that theory before signing a contract.

  3. #3mowingman2022-06-17 14:37

    Ok, here it is. V = 1/3pi (r squared) h. or about: 1673 cubic yards. You had better run those numbers and check my math. I am too old to remember calculations anymore, and could be way off.

  4. #4mowingman2022-06-17 14:39

    Would that not be 60' radius, not diameter ?

  5. #5GODSDOZER2022-06-17 14:52

    I am not good with geometry AT ALL. Lol. One comment says 418 cu yds, the other comment says 1673 cu yds. Did yall sit next to me in fundamentals of math class

  6. #6Joel592022-06-17 14:56

    I get 1674 cu yds.

  7. #7mowingman2022-06-17 14:58

    A 5:1 slope, 12 foot high = 60' radius, unless I am looking at this wrong. Willie B I think used only 30'. I will go stand in the corner if I am wrong here.

  8. #8Joel592022-06-17 15:00

    you are correct, mowingman.

  9. #9Willie B2022-06-17 15:25

    It would indeed. The pile is a natural cone, as would be formed by a conveyor unloading? hard for me to picture 120 foot diameter. You are correct, I am wrong by a lot as this pile is squashed. I'm curious about the shape of the pile. I'd expect angle of repose to be nearer 8:12, MUCH steeper than 1:5 & 5:1 would be very steep, impossible in a natural pile affected by gravity.

  10. #10GODSDOZER2022-06-17 15:39

    Thanks guys, so we agree its somewhere around 2,000 yds , Plus or minus some? I am not needing exact numbers but a ballpark. The shape of the mound I am speaking of would be similar to golf course mounding if you are familiar with what those look like