Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mouse Prevention?

xkv8tor ยท 2013-12-28 22:00

Anybody have any proven ways to keep mice out of equipment that will be sitting through the winter? Other than a CAT!

Replies25
  1. #1playindirt2013-12-29 22:10

    I have heard moth balls work, can't speak to weather they work or not?

  2. #2Nelsonequip2013-12-29 22:41

    They work...farmers especially use them around here or they chew wiring etc on their equipment.

  3. #3DoyleX2013-12-30 04:46

    I always give them some green food. Screw the big green blocks to a scrap of wood and put a couple under each machine. If may cost $30 a year but its cheaper than the damage they can do.

  4. #4rsherril2013-12-30 07:19

    I thought the idea of driving the equipment on to visqueen and wrapping it up on the sides several feet has merit. Suppose water would have to be dealt with some how. Problem with "green food" is it is slow and gives them time to invite the family over. When it's gone, the survivors are left to explore. They also find interesting places to go to "sleep" only to be discovered when things warm up. Little buggers are also cannibals and will munch on the sleepers. There is also a "Tin Cat" trap that can double as a hotel / mausoleum if you don't check it often. No fun to check.

  5. #5ValleyFirewood2013-12-30 10:04

    Moth's balls or decon.

  6. #6Construct'O2013-12-30 19:29

    Here one you can use ,antifeeze in the bucket if you live where it freezes.Peanut butter around center of can.

  7. #7willie592013-12-30 20:22

    You got any video of that contraption in operation?

  8. #8Outasite2013-12-30 20:43

    Have used one of those in my hanger for years,everybody should have one,works great!!!!-----Have got as many as nine in a week.

  9. #9Colorado Digger2013-12-30 22:32

    This is awesome. What a great idea!

  10. #10JDOFMEMI2013-12-31 15:08

    I love it! Low tech and cheap. With a trail camera set up it would be good entertainment as well.

  11. #11Mjrdude12013-12-31 16:25

    They work really well! We have one made using a plastic pop bottle, a little peanut butter on the ramp just to attract them and a good smear on the bottle and in they go. The antifreeze is a nice touch. We just use an empty bucket.

  12. #12rsherril2014-01-01 08:13

    Never give up I've learned from rodents that the old saying "Never give up" applies. I've had them escape certain death more than once. An empty bucket is only a good jump away from freedom for these athletes . You may be facilitating the breeding of a new species of high jumpers and not know it.

  13. #13Outasite2014-01-01 15:51

    The anti freeze keeps them from jumpin out,and also keeps em from stinking :

  14. #14powerjoke2014-01-01 17:07

    So what do you suppose was the cause of death? Was it the fall, the antifreeze, or the natural light? lol I too would like to see a vid of that, one time I stumbled across a vid on YouTube (who knows how) of a mouse getting launched with compressed air by stepping on a switch I always wanted to build one of those as well lol Back to the OP we buy packets of some sort of rodent repel from john deere..... I think maybe called cab fresh ? anyways they appear to be ceder chips in a mesh Baggie and they make the cab smell good and have never had a problem with mice since (as long as you remember to change them every few months ) Pj

  15. #15245dlc2014-01-01 18:42

    Moth balls and or cedar balls seems to work quite well my inlaws use either or with their farm equipment and their camper.

  16. #16Outasite2014-01-01 19:04

    On the end of my launch ramp a friend wrote "leap of faith" love that thing, it's always working.

  17. #17kshansen2014-01-01 19:11

    Never heard of it but did a search and found this: http://www.earth-kind.com/products/repellent/

  18. #18powerjoke2014-01-01 19:33

    Yup that's the stuff works good in tight cabs when you don't have room for a 5gal bucket lol Pj

  19. #19dcoot2014-01-13 20:30

    The little buggers chewed the wiring on my ford backhoe and burnt the wiring harness and I'm suprised the whole thing didn't burn. I'm pulling the engine (Deutz) out of a I-R compressor that I bought for parts. They built a nest in back of the fan and the engine cooked. I have been using the mothball method for prevention. Must be millions in damage caused be em'

  20. #20StumpyWally2015-06-17 18:29

    Here's my boy, Pogo, on the job...

  21. #21CatToy2015-06-17 20:03

    I take beer cans and fill them full of moth balls and put a few of them in locations that rats like to get. Usually one in the motor area and in any wiring bundles. Seems to work.

  22. #22Deliacorpny2015-06-17 21:51

    Dryer sheets, the boxed ones you put in the wash ! They hate the smell! Anytime I have a machine on job or long term sitting i load it up with dryer sheets! Haven't had one since

  23. #23bmckenzie2015-06-17 23:05

    A rep for a company pushing these little bags of mice away gave me a pack to try. They are strong smelling mint and other stuff, any way I tried it in the battery compartment of my excavator and the next day I checked and the mouse had eaten through the bag !!

  24. #24Harry2015-06-21 00:46

    Best mouse trap ever invented. We use these at our camps. they work great and only need re freshed about every month to keep the peanut butter smell

  25. #25check2015-06-21 08:00

    Get some peppermint oil and put a dab on a cotton ball. I've used this under the hood of a snowmobile 2 winters and didn't have any mice.