Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Move Trench Box with Workers inside-OK?

Jmatias ยท 2007-03-21 12:41

Hi all, I need a little help. Is it allowable to move a trench box with employees inside. Specifically is there anything written anywhere in a manual or other resource that says you can or cannot do this. The issue is when you have to move the box forward while employees are inside. Any help? If you've got a manual or a link to a site that would be great! I really need something in writing. Thanks!!!

Replies18
  1. #1Jmatias2007-03-21 13:34

    Answered my own question! 29 CFR 1926.652(g) the osha rule states that the workers cannot be inside when lifting, installing, or removing vertically. no mention about horizontally, so it appears ok to slide the box forward with the workers inside as long as no other hazards are created in doing so.

  2. #2TRACKHOE712007-03-21 17:14

    yes osha says that you may move the box, horazontilly with someone in it , but not vertically.

  3. #3rino14942007-03-21 18:07

    Wow, banned on the first day. You must have been a bad boy. Anyway, we slide the boxes with the pipelayer inside.

  4. #4Steve Frazier2007-03-21 19:56

    That was my mistake. It's cleared up now thanks to digger, my apologies for the trouble!:notworthy

  5. #5Countryboy2007-03-21 21:52

    Welcome to HEF Jmatias! :drinkup

  6. #6Gmads2007-04-07 18:58

    JMatias w/ESC?

  7. #7jazak2007-04-07 21:58

    I've seen it done here a few times..not sure if it was "OSHA" approved....but then again lots of stuff here isn't "OSHA" approved..

  8. #8biggixxerjim2007-04-09 00:50

    Also not too hard to walk out the end of the box.....

  9. #9Squizzy246B2007-04-09 01:35

    Can one of you guys post me some pics of your trenching boxes please?

  10. #10Countryboy2007-04-09 01:38

    Personal boxes or just in general?

  11. #11Squizzy246B2007-04-09 01:50

    Don't you mean "Personnel" boxes....but yes any will do. I can feel this thread perched on the edge

  12. #12digger242j2007-04-09 01:58

    I'll save it! Hey you go... I don't have a personal trench box, but I have rented from these guys. Plenty of pictures on the site: http://www.shoring.com/

  13. #13Squizzy246B2007-04-09 02:11

    Thanks your Diggerness That is an excellent site with some really good gear. I particularly like this statement: The real world I think means the world most of us live in...Thats nice to see for a change because its my experience that the "perfect world" doesn't exist...or maybe only in certain parts of BC. The boxes where what I was expecting, similar to what is used down ere.

  14. #14digger242j2007-04-09 02:24

    It's funny--That's where I took my "competent person" training (after 20 years working in the field without it ), and my impression of the training was not that it was going to teach you how to have your site "in compliance", but rather that now, you would know all the ways your site was not in compliance, and never would be. That notice confirms that my impression wasn't too far wrong. I believe they can teach you how not to get killed, but total compliance is out of reach...

  15. #15Countryboy2007-04-09 02:41

    Tsk Tsk.......do I have to explain everything....... What Digger posted is what I was talking about. :thumbsup

  16. #16Gmads2007-05-25 15:01

    First Pic is of a protected bore pit. Second pic shows us next to the road which prevented us from sloping back, and shows an end plate being dropped into position to close off the box used in that bore pit. Third/fourth picture shows our preferred way in shallower trenches.

  17. #17Garrie Denny2014-08-09 05:50

    Why would you walk out of a safety box for ?

  18. #18lantraxco2014-08-09 16:59

    Go written up years ago for exactly that, pipelayer walked out the back of the box to retrieve something about the time the dang OSHA guy walked past... *DING* winning ticket.