Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Moving a 763 with another power source

gtwy ยท 2016-02-19 16:51

I posted this on the mini skid steer, maybe it belongs on this forum I have never posted here before, and I was searching for info on problems whereby a Bobcat runs for a period of time and the shuts down. I think I have my issue figured out but have always had the fear that it might shut down on my driveway or in the street at the end of the driveway on a Sat night in a darned inconvenient location and wondered if I could tug it w/ a 3/4 ton truck if I had to. It's an older 763 and I only use it anymore around the property.

Replies10
  1. #1crewchief8882016-02-19 17:06

    yea you can, if you can get enough traction i wouldnt want to pull it very far, or very fast. :drinkup

  2. #2gtwy2016-02-19 17:14

    Thanks for the reply- I wondered if the wheels would actually rotate or would they drag against the hydrostat- it's been a long time since I've thought about the internal goings on

  3. #3lantraxco2016-02-19 17:21

    The big ones used to have towing valves, I don't suppose that one does? LOL

  4. #4crewchief8882016-02-19 17:28

    the 974/975 had tow valves on them. 40 series machines had some special tools that when installed would let them freewheel, by the time you got them installed, you'd loose most of the oil out of the pumps.... :drinkup

  5. #5Todd v.2016-02-19 20:13

    The wheels may turn but very slowly. My 763 will drift a bit when not running with the brake off.

  6. #6Jonas3022016-02-19 20:18

    it will drag the wheels and pull very hard hopefully you have the stalling trouble figured out

  7. #7TriHonu2016-02-19 20:26

    I had the same question when I bought my 763C. If your 763 has a Sauer Danfoss hydrostatic pump, you can loosen the Charge Check/High Pressure Relief valves on the pump. There are 4 valves that you loosen, 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom. This will allow the wheels to "Free Wheel" if you disengage the parking brake. I have not tried this procedure. The 2 valves on the top seem accessible. The 2 on the bottom may be difficult to access. I have attached an extract from the Sauer Danfoss Service Manual that describes this procedure.

  8. #8gtwy2016-02-20 11:13

    Thanks for the replies- I suspected it wasnt going to be pretty. I've got a long one lane gravel driveway and I wouldnt be able to drive around a disabled machine. I'm thinking a good mitigation plan would be to move any vehicle I need to get out onto the street- keep the weekend stress level to a minimum.

  9. #9gtwy2016-02-20 11:39

    P.S. triHonu I do have the service manual- I need to look in there to see what I do have- can't say I've seen anything in there about moving a disable unit

  10. #10TriHonu2016-02-20 15:11

    It is not in the Bobcat Service Manual. The pages I posted are from a Sauer Danfoss Service Manual I downloaded from their website. I had to call them supply the part number off my pump. They were very helpful in providing a link and answering my questions about the recommended hydraulic fluids for this pump. I found the information about bypassing the pump when I read their Service Manual.