Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Moving costs for the excavator?

fastline ยท 2016-10-31 18:13

We just don't have an RGN trailer and my dad's company just cannot get it done right now. Curious about how to figure a reasonable cost for a local job? 20mi trip, easy load, easy unload. Figuring 1.5hrs including load/unload/and haul. I am getting rates about $200/hr. We moved the dozer over 100mi for a much better rate. Just curious if I need to shop more or if this seems inline for a local job? I figured my flexibility in the whole thing (day/time) would help make this a great filler job but maybe not.

Replies8
  1. #1Junkyard2016-10-31 20:25

    Sounds about right. Virtually every lowboy outfit has a minimum charge regardless of how easy or short the haul is. Anything local we do is a minimum $450. You might get lucky and fine somebody cheaper but anything under $600 is in the ballpark. Junkyard

  2. #2DIYDAVE2016-10-31 20:27

    Depends on the size of the truck/trailer, needed. Around here, that's about the going rate...:beatsme

  3. #3CM19952016-10-31 21:20

    Well the rates will fluctuate across the country depending on local laws, cost of doing business in your area, job site conditions, etc. When I bid a job that I have to move my 321 in and out on, I figure $500 each way. That covers the move and any unforeseen costs. Moves usually average $350 per in a 20 mile radius, the extra $150 in the bid covers when things don't go as planned.

  4. #4movindirt2016-10-31 22:17

    Sounds about right, especially if it has to be permitted.

  5. #5tbone14712016-11-01 07:24

    Depending on the area 200 may be right. My area is 100-150/hr. But that doesn't include permits. How big is the machine? And don't forget most companies will charge you from the time they leave their yard till the time they get back. I charge a minimum of 100/hr or 5/mile. Last move I did for someone was 25 miles one way by the hour no permit. 250. Before that was 30 miles. 385. Traffic was much worse. These were by the hour.

  6. #6Willie B2016-11-01 08:34

    Before I had a trailer I was paying $75. an hour. It was a while ago, I expect the cost has risen since then. The moving company used a tilt deck trailer fifth wheel 25 Ton. In my case it was a TBL but an excavator up to twenty ton would have been the same price. As the clock started when they left wherever, and didn't stop until they were on somebody else's clock, it typically cost either $225 or $300. When I move it myself, local trip, I find it takes at least 3 hours. Hook up the trailer. Always seems to be a soft tire on the trailer, get chains and binders out, chock all wheels on trailer, and truck, and load. If it's a one way haul, everything needs to be put away. Fact is, getting a hauling company to move is cheaper than owning truck, and trailer. The down side is coordinating when it gets moved. IE; I bought a backhoe the day before the family was leaving for vacation. The dispatcher said they might not be able to do it that day. I asked the dispatcher if she could give me a bit of warning before picking it up. I hadn't paid for it, and didn't want to until the day it would be moved. She assured me she would. It was an hour from home. Ten minutes later I received a call from the driver. He's Pi$$ed. He's on site, waiting for me. The keys aren't in it, the seller won't let him take it. I dropped everything, rushed up there to find he had it on the trailer. Chains were bound tightly over the chrome rods of the swing cylinders. By the time we exchanged words over that, neither of us were in a good mood. He had to wait for the paper exchange before he could leave. He was angry, I don't feel it could be helped. I didn't trust the seller enough to leave it with him after payment, he didn't trust me enough to let it move without payment. For that reason, I like owning truck & trailer. Willie

  7. #7JDOFMEMI2016-11-06 18:17

    You don't say what size excavator, or where you are located. If it is a mid sized machine, and you are in an urban area with lots of service, I would expect a 3 to 4 hr minimum, and $135 to $150 per hr. If you are in a remote area, travel time port to port applies, so it all depends on where you are at.

  8. #8JBGASH2016-11-06 19:11

    To me moving costs are different and vary greatly for each operator. For example, we move something almost 5-days a week and sometimes Saturday's also to be ready come Monday AM. If I had to pay 3-600 each time and also schedule it with someone it would get very costly. Our moving equipment is older well kept equipment but pays for itself in Convience and being sure we are on the job site when we tell a customer, let alone the dollars that we do not have to pay a commercial hauler. My crew consists of 12 full time people of which 6 of them have CDL licenses. All new people I hire from now on will be required to have CDL's also.