Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

moving/diverting a river?

T_S_S ยท 2009-01-10 20:35

Currently looking at purchasing some land with a pit on it that i want to develop. The pit is at the back of the property and the area to be developed is at the front. The only problem is that i dont have enough room between the property line and the river to get the adt's by without risking some serious erosion and possibly having an adt go for a swim. As a last ditch effort , (if the neighbour wont let me borrow twenty feet of his land for awhile) is it even worth it trying to offset the river by 10-15 feet? Or will i get eaten alive by the watershed authourities? I know the old saying it is easier to ask for forgiveness then to get permission... but how much trouble could i get my self in?

Replies10
  1. #1stretch2009-01-10 21:02

    If it's like anything over here, I'm guessing you would get eaten alive by watershed authorities. ointhead To get a even a small stream moved over 5-10 feet we had to go through the local watershed boards and soil districts, the state DEP, and the USACE. That process probably took 1-2 years. I should also mention that if some government official hears anything about any development, or a nosy neighbor sees the equipment being brought onsite, then someone will be stopping in for a look. How big of a river are we talking about?

  2. #2CM19952009-01-10 21:16

    Moving/diverting river without permits = major poo-poo storm for whoever did it. If you bought the property, moved the river without permits and the local/national authorities found out - you would probably wish you never saw that piece of ground. I was on the recieving end of an EPA fine of $10K for getting silt into a "navigatable waterway of the United States". The issue I had with this waterway, other than there was no water in this ditch if it wasn't raining, was the fact that when the "waterway" left our property, it went through an 18" RCP line for 200LF underneath a parking lot. It is one small boat to navigate an 18" RCP "tunnel".:beatsme

  3. #3T_S_S2009-01-10 21:59

    Im asuming it will take me 3/4 of my life to get the proper permits ? I guess my only other option would be to build a temporary bridge?

  4. #4Northart2009-01-10 22:28

    Job site ? Scan a sketch so we can see, the plan.

  5. #5pushcat2009-01-10 22:30

    Would it be possible for you to rip-rap the river bank area in question, where you plan on driving through? While in the process, place it about 8 or 10 feet thick, or however wide you feel comfortable driving on. I guess as long as you have enough width to not alter the flow radically, you might sneak it past them. Around here it's much simpler and less painful applying for permission to do that rather than diverting a watercourse. In fact it's very seldom denied, just have to have ask first.

  6. #6stumpjumper832009-01-10 22:40

    Might wanna send a word Ruben's way. I believe that he does some stream restoration work, and even some re-routing, not sure how envolved he is with that stuff. I do know that there might be some cost sharing envolved with some stream projects. Best talk with Ruben, I'm sure he knows more than me.

  7. #7AtlasRob2009-01-11 07:34

    I think the words to use are Reinforcement and / or stabalisation and / or enviromental control. Stay away from words like alteration and movement. :drinkup I really like the riprap idea

  8. #8alco2009-01-11 08:01

    From the location you have listed, I'm guessing you are in Canada. Where? What Province? Bear in mind, the answers you have been getting have come mostly from the states, so they may or may not be applicable here. We most often have different rules and regulations, so things could be a totally different ball of wax, or very similar. I would try to find out what the regs are where you are located. My experience has been that playing dumb and trying to get away with something, but getting caught is not the way to go. A former employer tried it on one project in BC, and is no longer in business as a result. Fines can range from minor, to ones that you won't even want to contemplate. Find out what the rules are locally, trust me. Brian

  9. #9EZ TRBO2009-01-11 14:03

    Rivers and streams flow where they do due to how much water is pushing. I don't know all the specifics but I was told that if you took a curvy stream and tried to make it str8 and left it be, in not very long it would start to re-curve itself to get the natural flow back. Alot of the issues with permits are the people required to sign them, they are just LAZY. Spent 2 years working on permits for a culvert replacement and 2 days to accomplish it. Have had a number of other issues over the years with the DNR but have learned that you pretty much have to bend over and kiss, to get what you want cause they can really be a total pain in the rear if they dont' like you or think you are being pushy. Trbo

  10. #10Dominion 4102009-01-11 20:25

    Stream re-locating North of the border here also.Where ever your located,better inquire with the local conservation authority before re-directing any water course.I'd be surprised if they would allow it.Probably better off trying to work your pit another way.Also bear in mind at what level the water table lies.Here you have to be 1.5m above it with your pit floor elevation.The last thing you want is to have your friendly local conservation officer or worse the Federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans come calling.There fines start at six figures,and pleading forgiveness won't get you to far with the judge.