I imagine your professionals get this a lot from us amatures, but asking anyway. I have two 16k lb machines, that I use on my property for personal use. I would like to be able to transport these on occasion to friends and family's properties. Being that I have no CDL, and cannot go past 26,000 gvw, its looking like I am **** out of luck. The moves are all local, but between a truck, trailer, and machine, I'd more than likely be over 26,000. I was looking at older international cargostars and loadstars before I realized my predicament. So, from what I can tell, I need a ramp truck that weighs 10k lbs, and has the capacity to take my machine on its flatbed. Am I dreaming here or are there possibilities out there? What models of trucks should I be looking at....around 10k in weight with a rear axle rated for the weight I need?
If I had to do what you are doing locally I might go here: http://www.gohbe.com/index.php/rentals/delivery-service $112-120/hr, a few hundred bucks per move would always be cheaper than owning something for occasional use.
The truck would be multi purpose. Hauling a bunch of quads to the dunes, lumber packages, just general hauling. Its sole purpose would not be the machines. I currently use a local guy for $120 an hour, and it works but adds up.
I'm a little skeptical that you'll find a tiltbed that is capable of loading 16,000 lbs having an empty weight of 10,000. My '95 F250 weighs almost 7000 lbs, and you couldn't put 8 ton on it's back even with a standard flatbed.
Right, that's why I was looking at light industrial trucks of the ramp truck variety. No tilt bed. I found a cargostar, but its a 34000gvw. And comes in around 13k tare weight.
just move the equipment on sunday when they are all off.
I bought a 1976 C65, partnered on a trailer, now bought out the other trailer partner. I've invested too many hours, lots of dollars, and got my CDL. I felt VT DMV deliberately threw obstacles in my way. The CDL process was not simple for me. On my 5th appointment, they finally allowed me to take the road test. Now that I own the equipment, I have registration, insurance, fuel, (LOTS OF FUEL), and an annual physical exam. It is very convenient to be able to move equipment, logs, firewood, gravel, boulders, and whatever else comes up. I use it often. As for saving money, pay the local hauler. Truck/trailer expense matches paying someone else for 8 moves a year. For me, that's four single machine round trips. Backhoe, and bulldozer; two projects. My primary reason is convenience. The people in that business are 30 miles from me. It's usually 48 hours notice to move. I have a family, close friends who might be a week before they arrive. I get very uneasy about leaving a machine parked, unguarded. If you have your heart set on it, bite the bullet, get your CDL. Regardless of what truck, 16000 + trailer weight puts you in CDL category. A truck that big is over 26000, and the load is likely over 13'6" tall, and REAL top heavy. Willie
if you are an agricultural operation(farmer) you are not required to have a CDL as long as you are transporting your equipment. Even if you do not farm, you may own enough property to be considered a farm. In Kentucky I believe it is 10 acres.
I've got 9 acres. I'm looking into a farm truck. In the end, I can pay my local guy to haul the machines, but I want a truck for convince and to utilize for other big projects on my land. I think for me, a farm truck is the only way to go. I do raise rabbits for meat.....maybe I'm a rabbit farmer.
Depending on how far you are moving machine , a 100 HP tractor and older 20 ton float. No license issues, just a slow moving vehicle sign.
I would probably never move these things further than 30 miles. I just need a reasonable method of moving them. I'm not making money, its not a business. Its more for family, friends, repairs, and the multipurpose use if the truck. I'm calling today to find out the requirements for registering as a farm vehicle.
I finally got the Trailer I needed to haul my 580 Case ( Aprox 15,500 lbs ) It's a 24,000 GVW Belshe Tag trailer... Bud wheels and Air Brakes Just a little over 4K . This completes the circle... Backhoe, Dump truck , Trailer... I'm now Mobile.... Well... I have a list of Maintenance and minor repairs But I'm closer to working my Hoe. Gotta Fly...
So, in a few states, commercial versus noncommercial varies. In Mass, if I'm hauling my own stuff with my truck/trailer, and I'm not engaged in commerce with the operation, its all non commercial. So, I can toss the backhoe or dozer on the trailer and go for a drive. What matters is what your state says.