How have some of you obtained your cdl? Did the company you were working for assist you? Truck driving school? I obtained my cdl learner's permit on my own, but the company I am working for will not give me the opportunity to practice driving and the truck driver's will not talk me through a pretrip inspection. Thank you.
In my area there is or was an independent rental yard that has some old flatbed trucks they use for training or testing. To drive train you just pay the rental rate, and the instructor (owner) goes with you. If you want to play around with the pre-trip, he lets you do that in the yard for free. For the drive test, standard rental rate. I already knew how to drive so I wound up paying I think 2 hours rental in total. It was around $90 to $100 per hour but that was a long time ago. So contact rental yards, etc. and see what they say.
I'm an electrician. I bought a truck, partnered on a trailer, and set out to get a CDL. I passed the permit test easily, then I passed the computer test with flying colors, made my appointment for road test. I was told I was exempt from medical card if I limited my travel to in state. I had to find a licensed CDL driver to accompany me to my test. I borrowed a newer truck, and trailer belonging to the driver I recruited, as I worried mine might not pass close inspection. Arriving for my test I was asked for my medical card. I responded that I was told I didn't need one for in state travel. He responded: "Who told you that?" I said: "You did." "Oh", he said, " the law is going to change soon, we're enforcing it now." Discouraged, I went to my regular doctor. He really vented! He snapped at his office staff for making the appointment. He was angry about the treatment he had received from VT DMV. He is qualified to teach the course, but DMV insisted he spend a week at great expense to be trained how to administer physicals. Ultimately, I got my medical card, but was warned to seek it elsewhere in future. Next appointment, DMV had no record of me having an appointment! I was out of luck! Next, I failed the pre trip inspection. I failed to inspect the landing gear or the headboard on the trailer. I pointed out it wasn't equipped with either. He responded that I needed to mention that there was none. Also I failed to inspect windshield, or mirrors. I explained that I had inspected them prior to driving twenty odd miles to get there. Final trip, my borrowed truck, and trailer along with driver backed out three days before. I spent a bunch of money last minute on my truck, and tracked down a retired long haul trucker to accompany me. I spent two hours on pre trip inspection. The tester finally cut me off, saying he didn't have time. Backing into the dock I find challenging, but did well that day. The road trip went well. If I count the trip to the doctor, it took seven trips to Rutland. Four I had to borrow a truck, and impose on a CDL licensed driver to test. I had the distinct sense VT DMV didn't want me to have a license. Willie
I don't have the resources to get a truck, so I will probably just have to find a trucker to help me on the weekends and pay him.
I would suggest you complete all the written tests, then sign up at a CDL training school. you should be able to complete the training in one day, then using their truck, go take the test the next day. School scheduled everything with the DPS test center. My son-in-law did it that way down in Dallas. His brother did the same thing. The school provided a single axle tractor with automatic trans., and a shorty trailer. No safety issues to fail on the test truck they provide.
An automatic transmission will get you an automatic restricted license.
I paid 500 bucks to use a truck with a synchronized tranny and a short trailer. Guy had all the cheats which I didn't use but they made it about fool proof. I got the permit myself, many in my family have cdl's and had copy's of the tests. So look for a training class that goes over the Pretrip and let's you use the truck for the test. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It has been a long time since they let you take home tests in my state. But they used to be pretty useful. Now they are done on computer. I had to go in for a hazmat re-test as usual every couple of years. A lot of the questions I had never seen before. And as usual a lot of them were stupid and the right answer unclear. So the paper tests may be of limited use. Still I am sure studying them is better than nothing.
Vermont provides a manual to study. Read through a couple times, paying attention, it's easy to pass the written test. Many questions are hair splitters . The "correct" answer is a quote from the book. There might be other correct answers, but yours must be exact quote from the manual. There is a commercial driving school, cost is staggering! If you seek your CDL to get a truck driving job, it's a way without investing in a truck. Maybe that makes sense. Willie
Did the Fed's change the rule? I know states can be stricter on their CDL rules but at a minimum have to follow Fed rules. I got my Class A back in mid 2000's in an auto and have no restriction.
Same for me took, the test in an auto and have no restrictions. Another option I've heard some volunteer fire departments will help there people get a CDL
It is getting harder in Texas. We have a local DPS office co-located with a drivers license office, but we still have to drive 75 miles to Abilene to take a CDL test. Out of the 20 or so people we sent over for a test, only 1 has passed. My long time drivers who escort my new drivers to Abilene, tell me that the new standards are unrealistic and downright stupid in some cases.
Back when I tested for my CDL, there was a private testing business that allowed me to do it on a Saturday. That saved me the hassle of going to a state facility and dealing with the attitudes of state employees who are notoriously ill mannered in these situations. My licensed driver backed out on me at the last minute so I just drove my truck and trailer the 50+ miles over to the city by myself. No grief from the private tester for this, either. I think the cost was $75 back in the mid 90's for the test. I passed and got legal after driving without the license for over 2-3 years. I was ALWAYS nervous about getting caught without the license and it was worth it just to stay relaxed when driving an overweight - oversize truckload. Just to avoid the hassles and stay out of city traffic, it was well worth it to me to pay the extra for a private test.
I drove without CDL for a while. My truck is titled at 26000, nameplate is 27500 Without trailer, I reasoned I'd get an a$s reaming from a cop, but no fine. With trailer, they ALWAYS give fines. Also, truck has air brakes. I called VT DMV twice before buying the truck. I got differing answers. One said under 26000 needs no air brake endorsement, over 26000 does. The other said air requires air brake endorsement regardless of weight. I've read manuals, they don't address trucks under 26000 with air. Over 26000, or towing a trailer loaded weight exceeding 10000 needs CDL. Willie
They have been tightening up on states in the last 3-5 years it seems. Used to be in California you could take the test in a pintle hook trailer and didn't have to do some of the exercises. There was a company that advertised in the DMV manual that had a very small flatbed Peterbilt with air brakes, 5 speed synchro stick and a pintle trailer. Then the Fed regulations came in and that will get you a pintle trailer restriction, now. This also happened about the time they started getting really hard on doctor's offices. My primary doctor was griping the time before last and now will not do them at all and I had to go to a different doctor.
I couldn't find a fifth wheel rig to test with. I've never driven a fifth wheel truck. A gooseneck, or fifth wheel camper is much easier to back into a dock. By all accounts a fifth wheel rig is easier to dock. That in my opinion was the only challenging aspect of a CDL test. Stuffing a pintle trailer into an imaginary loading dock is tricky. The dimensions if I recall were 90 degree, seventy feet grand total width, and the corner cone was 25 feet from the "wall" It seems the "dock" was 16 feet wide. Truck, and trailer are 56 feet long. With a fifth wheel you can jackknife the trailer, while the truck is still parallel to the road. Then you follow the trailer. With an A frame pintle you can't turn the trailer to truck more than perhaps 45 degrees. Backing around a wide radius turn, no problem. turning 90 degrees around a traffic cone is much tougher. My license has a fifth wheel exclusion. I want to challenge that rule. Willie
Just searched Arkansas CDL classes and it looks like a number of community colleges offer programs. Just a place to look
Airbrake test is a separate written test and endorsement than CDL. It is required any time you drive a vehicle with air brakes but in most cases accompany a CDL. Licensing a truck to 26,000 does not make you exempt from a CDL if the truck has a nameplate of 27500. Probably not get checked if it looks like a 26,000 gross truck but if you did you would be in violation. When towing a trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs you still need a medical card if you are driving commercially. That is also gross manufacturers ratings for truck and trailer. A 3/4 ton pickup and a 3,000 lb trailer requires a medical certificate. Our equipment supt got nailed on that one at a scale few years ago delivering a new Chevy pickup and a small empty enclosed 6 X 8 ft trailer to a jobsite.
Here the airbrake endorsement is a component of the CDL. A trailer rated at over 10,000 regardless of truck weight is the issue. The manufacturer creates the title, so VT enforcement would recognize the manufacturer's weight. A very zealous cop might challenge the discrepancy between title, and nameplate. One would not want to be caught loaded over 26000. Willie
Check the price on the A CDL course, a guy I know did it and it cost him $3,500.00 The written test was pretty easy, look for the quotes in the book that answer the sample questions. Also, the parking lot they use here at the DMV is open on the weekends if you want to practice some of the procedures...
I have E and O restrictions on my CDL limiting me to bumper type trailers and auto trans only. Have pulled goose necks all my life behind pickups and drove 5-10 speed trucks in the field and on the road. Doesn't make much sense to me why they restrict it the way they do.
My guess is that to many people took the test with a pickup and gooseneck and then had no clue how to drive a semi. Thirty years ago here that was the standard for a lot of people testing so they changed the testing requirements to license up to what you test with.
I just went this week for my physical to renew my medical card now I have to go back in 3 mo for it again apparently the new regulations say that your bmi can't be over 35 I'm at 38 that puts me 23 lbs overweight the dr recommended me for a sleep apnea test or I have to lose the weight before my next physical and they started measuring your neck size I guess that can't be bigger than 17" or you have to go for a sleep test
First the company's insurance probably would not cover a newby. Second most of the drivers probably forgot how to do through pretrip.
Look for a Driving School. Our local schools have all the training material and driving courses set up. They schedule test dates and provide truck.
I was in the unpleasant position of not being quite poor enough to qualify for government freebies, or employed by a huge corporation willing to invest thousands on anyone they can find with no DUIs or felonies. I was a poor owner of one truck barely big enough to require CDL. I feel they tossed countless obstacles in my way. I don't believe that was fair. Government constantly seeks to remove freedom from their people. This is not the worst, but it is part of a systematic purge of personal rights. Each of the days I went through red tape, I saw employees of a huge multi state trash hauler getting fast tracked through the process. Many of these people I doubt could sign their name.
I have to laugh I got my Chauffeurs license {that's what they called a CDL in those days} in 1975. Any one who owned a semi could sign a voucher for you. Take the written test and you were done. ----------------just remember to swing'em wide. Truck Shop
Illinois has the worst CDL testing requirements in the country. I suppose they would call them the best Seems we had a few incidents of CDL licenses being sold to anyone with legal tender by corrupt state employees. Some of them are still in prison. This prompted them to "improve" the testing requirements. I got my class B (single vehicle) when I was 18. Moved to another state and transferred it. Moved back and tried to transfer back. Illinois battle axe employee says no can do. Surrender your CDL and start over. Ugh. I found an outfit that will rent you a truck and trailer for the test. Pretty painless. Practiced backing and whatnot for an hour the night before. Sailed through the test and was on my way. This was not a driving school. You had to know how to drive. They just provided equipment.
Same here, just in 1979.
Man we are OLD School, my first Chauffeurs license was in 1975 in Ft Scott KS, had to have to run the wrecker and test drive trucks. Moved back to MO and had to test all over again as did not accept KS License carry over. Then as luck would have it let my license drop to a regular in late 80s to become a class C in 92 and had to Retest for my class A in 93. I got to enjoy the 15 mile Road Test as well all the Hazmat and other written tests all over again. Test MSHP agent and I knew each other, she was strict but had known me quite awhile so I did get some slack.
A late model duallie pickup and a fifth wheel trailer rated greater than 10k is a solution that has been suggested. No air brakes and no standard trans means these endorsements will not be included, but this is probably adequate for many circumstances.
Only issue is when you tweak the limits to get a little more load on or try to buy a slightly bigger trailer and sneak it past or end up having to replace an aged well worn dually with another that is a stick and then DO get caught. That is occurring here in MO to a limited value, local counties and larger metros are establishing their own DOT Code enforcement divisions as the State Boys and Girls cannot be everywhere. These New Agents in MO are riding pretty hard, be really Cautious in Franklin and St.Louis counties.
Here in Canada a CDL includes stick and or autos, not indicated on endorsement, but I am certain if you are unable to drive a stick or auto it would be a fail . Air endorsement is separate and is not required for CDL .
I had been told for years you had to be full time employed to test for CDL. That was not true. There are numerous limited licenses. Mine is class A truck & trailer, air brakes, but no fifth wheel. For fifth wheel you need to test with fifth wheel rig. I couldn't muster one, I have a restriction on my license, (no fifth wheel)
Our side of the pond if you test on a stick you get a licence that covers you for both stick AND auto transmissions. If you test on an auto trans your licence clearly states AUTO ONLY. If you want a licence for stick after that you have to do a re-test on a truck with a stick transmission. To my mind that's fair enough.
In my case testing was a big ordeal. My truck & trailer are old. I know they go over your equipment with a fine tooth comb. I opted to work a deal with an owner with newer equipment. You have to have a licenced CDL driver accompany you to the test 22 miles from my home, 30 miles from his. They failed me on my first pre trip inspection. I didn't check landing gear, fifth wheel or headboard on the trailer. I pointed out the trailer didn't have those items. I failed to check mirrors, or windshield. I argued I just drove it to Rutland. They were fine then. Next round: I had been told in state drivers didn't need a medical card. When I arrived to test they wanted my medical card. "You told me I didn't need one." He replied: "The law is changing in a few months. We're enforcing them early." Another wasted trip. I got a medical card, made another appointment. On the appointed day he informed me he had no record of me having an appointment. Wasted trip three! Last appointment: my accompanying driver, truck & trailer backed out on me. With a weeks notice, I spent $2000. on my truck, and recruited a retired trucker who was still licensed, but sold his truck. I spent two hours on pre trip inspection. Used the State provided check list, checking off each item. The test guy was trying to hurry me through it. I informed him safety was important. I DID make the point the trailer wasn't equipped with headboard, landing gear. He argued my truck was available with hydraulic brakes. It should have both electric horn, and air horn. He did let it slide that I had only an air horn. It is a big ordeal to test. Vermont opposes you all the way. To retest each time you buy a different truck is frustrating.
Missouri is getting near as bad, is as if they really want Foreign Drivers doing the work as they receive white glove handling.
My license lapsed at one time. The first time I I took the written test. Then the company safety officer rode with we and did a letter. The second time I had to do the DMV driving test. Asked a company I worked with about using their equipment. They had new people test on a regular basis. Be there we we are there and it is free. Failed the first time. Stopped just a bit short of the stop here line, which I did not know. Then I moved on to the parallel park in this box. Replied I cannot because this truck and trailer will not fit in those cones. Well you have to back the trailer into the space between the lines and stop just before the cones. If the truck is sticking out that is OK. Trailer tires were on the line but within the cones so I worked on that a bit. OK driver you are done and can return to the parking area. Whoa whoa whoa what's the problem. No problem but you already failed. If you just stopped the first time you backed up you would have been fine. You stopped just short of the the line and that is one point. Then you pulled up three times. Each time you pull up is three points. You are allowed ten points and you are done. If you had stopped the first time you backed up you would have been fine. Being on the line only counts on point. But you said I had to be between the lines? I got past that the second time. Then I was really worried about remembering to use the clutch all the time, not in my nature. Caught myself shifting gears going through an intersection. Oh man I am not supposed to shift gears while turning am I? No but what I do not understand is why you always shift while turning right. You never shift while turning left. I have never seen that before. Well the truck I am shuttling trailers with does not have P/S. You cannot turn left and shift gears at the same time. I do not do that anymore and I passed. Thanks Mister. Just a couple of things not to do. An air brake, day cab with a short drop deck makes it as easy as possible. With a stick it covers all the bases for a class A. I saw a company with that set up while I was driving a sleeper and a van.
Here in quebec it is the same way i did it this spring. I was very surprised at how easy it was. Tractor can crossover solid lines but trailer has to stay in them at all times. And they really dont care how much you grind gears as long as you double clutch and of you miss a gear are able to recover from it.
Reading this thread brought back many memories. I live in Washington State. I got my "commercial endorsement" in 1968 I was 16. I got it the day I got my first drivers license. After taking the drivers test in my Dad's pickup, I went back into the office and when starting the paperwork I presented them the paper signed by my uncle who owned several log trucks vouching for my ability. No questions asked. In those days lots of kids were driving log truck off highway for family. I could not drive on the highway though until I turned 18, insurance companies would not insure a kid driving a log truck or any other truck for that matter. So, I drove off highway every summer until I turned 18. For those of you in Washington, this all happened in Morton, so that might have some influence on what happened.
I have a good friend, drove everything from his sixteenth birthday on. The family excavation business branched out to a school bus contract. It was all hands on deck. Never figured out how a teenager could legally drive a school bus. All went well until one spring day, a rusted out culvert, spring run off, and a bus load of kids all contributed to dropping through the pavement. The investigation involved dozens of cops. No injuries, no legal charges. The kids were late for school. Bus was banged up.
Here's my cdl story. I became the "big boss" at a municipality. I told the Safety guy 1) I wanted a cdl (The old class 1 & 2) so I could drive our equipment if needed and so it couldn't be thrown in my face that you don't know what it's like to drive our trucks. and 2) I wanted to establish a training program like Michigan DOT did for their temporary employees. So I get a learners permit for a Class 2, truck and trailer. We sent our employees to test with a tractor trailer. (Day cab ) So off to the MDOT training school we go for a week to see what it it all involves. Me as a newbie and him as an experienced driver. He had started as a laborer and worked his way up. First day we drive there (me behind the wheel) about 35 degrees. No heat. Sit in a classroom at Ft Custer. WWII buildings 3 feet above ground, open underneath, no insulation and a November wind. We both had numb feet by the time we got back home. The truck got an out of service tag when we parked it at the mechanic bays. LOL (BTW: we established our own program which is still used and in place today - 28 years later) So after a week of me training at Ft Custer, he and I spend a day on our roads doing everything our drivers do except plow snow since it wasn't snowing (or in the forecast). As some of you have said, in those days the company could sign a waiver and you got your license. No road test. My trailer expereince has been a 2 wheel trailer with a 14 foot day sailor sail boat So the new reg's roll around in 1992. They say that if you have the old cdl for 24 months, you are grandfathered into the new cdl. in my case Class A with air brakes. So I do the math I'm going to be a few months short (Crap ). So I start training with one of our dump trucks and trailer. MI allowed that combination to satisfy the Cl 1 requirements back them. We had a little test course set up in one of our yards so I would practice after work. The days we took our truck and trailer to the SOS course (SOS did all the testing back then) I tagged one. I had it down pretty good to get the trailer a foot from the dock by marking a spot on the side mirror and a light pole LOL. But I need more practice for sure. So I'm sweating big time. So I get a letter from SOS on my cdl. I open it nervously. The letter says based on your current cdl status you are grandfathered since you have had it over 24 months. Hallelujah, Saints be Praised !!!! The only thing I can figure is the counted the time of my learners permit. Since then I've bought my own tractor trailer for my hobby toys. I kept my medical card until I turned 65. Once I developed my right leg issues with my L4 right nerve my driving has consisted of a couple short trips or taking the old girl around the block occasionally I dropped the medical card. I has a stent in 2002 so I had to get it renewed every year. Hard to do when you spend 14 weeks recovering from spine surgery and have 4 surgeries in 5 years. (Looks like # 5 is coming up - waiting for 1 more test) So now I check exempt interstate which means I can only haul my own stuff which is all I had it for anyways. I get the enhanced so I can visit Canada w/o finding my passport (Or forgetting it)
not a long story` I got a chauff.- cdl 56 years ago have ran north of 3 million miles all of us and most of canada on all kinds of roads` have`nt had so far a major accident` gotten very few coupons and still have 5 pts.safe driving credits
Starting 2021 you have to get your CDL from a credited college, no more driving schools, companies cant train you any more