Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Moving over from excavator. Got advice on best backhoes?

RenoHuskerDu ยท 2018-10-07 17:56

Hi guys, I'm a fan of midi excavators, pretty good with a bucket. I usually rent one, but now we've decided to buy our own. After thinking it over, and considering the long distances between jobs here in TX (just our dirt driveway is 2 miles long), I think a backhoe would be a better compromise for a first machine. I need to do construction, road repair, small pond building. So, here I am, I don't know much at all about backhoes. Asking y'all for advice about which are good used backhoes to consider in the 5-8 ton range. So I can tow it behind my F350 if needed. I'd like to spend no more than $30k. I hear that John Deere introduced pilot controls a few years back. As an excavator guy, I love 'em. Are pilot controls available on most backhoes now?

Replies15
  1. #1RenoHuskerDu2018-10-07 19:40

    Is Iron Planet worth trying?

  2. #2AzIron2018-10-07 23:18

    For 30 grand your probably not going to find a whole lot of choices with pilot controls there are some but in that price range you will find a lot of warble stick machines witch work just fine you might just look at deere or cat unless you come across a case with pilot controls otherwise they are 4 sticks Just my opinion but I personally wouldn't move a backhoe on a 350 there are easily a half dozen threads explaining why

  3. #3JL Sargent2018-10-08 03:17

    It really is right on the edge. Somehow, the latest Dodge 1 Tons are actually rated for it. Around here we do see them going up and down the road all the time. I have a goose neck 25K lb trailer dual tandem and it does haul a 13K lb backhoe nicely, but oh what a heavy load on a pickup.

  4. #4JL Sargent2018-10-08 03:21

    As far as buying a backhoe goes, I would suggest buying one close to you if possible. Operate it for a couple of hours if possible and get it good and hot. Check all fluid levels carefully and inspect machine with a bright flashlight. Are you a good mechanic? You'll need to become one LOL.

  5. #5RenoHuskerDu2018-10-08 10:52

    This one only weighs 7k so would be well under the limit on my biggest 14k trailer. https://ritchiespecs.com/model/john-deere-110-tlb-loader-backhoe To tow tandem duals requires a commercial licence in TX, but I can tow a gooseneck triple single axle rig, which is 3x8k = 24k overall. Ford says 34k max with drw and gooseneck, so I'd have 10k spare, seems reasonable. https://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-ford-super-duty-can-now-tow-34000-pounds/

  6. #6Delmer2018-10-08 11:09

    I'd stick with the midi/minis if you're looking at a 110. If you go with a backhoe, a 310 is the smallest commercial machine, a 110 will work if you have a small cemetery, in pure sand, and only bury midgets. Backhoes are being replaced with a mini and skid steer combination, easier to haul with a pickup, and more productive. Of course you can't buy a decent pair for $30k and you can get a decent backhoe for that... Decent being relative...

  7. #7JD88752018-10-08 11:19

    The John Deere 110s are intriguing little machines to me. The loader has standsst skid steer quik tach, most hsve aux. hydraulic connections on the loader, you get a much heavier hoe than the aftermarket 3pt versions. A 3pt that you can run all kinds of attachments on. A 110 wouldn't be the productive horse that a 580 Case/410 John Deere would be but it would be a versatile little machine for most of building a new house. John

  8. #8RenoHuskerDu2018-10-08 11:22

    It looks like heavier backhoes go for around $20k with a couple thousand hours on them. But they're in Iron Planet, and so far I don't know anybody who recommends that route. I'm looking locally, so i can go see it, test it, etc.

  9. #9AzIron2018-10-08 19:51

    I know people that have done iron planet with no issues it's just knowing what questions to ask and what things to look at on a machine As far as a 110 I really wouldn't consider that a decent backhoe it's just so limited in size and power you can't do much else than hobby work with them and they are still limited in that

  10. #10JL Sargent2018-10-08 21:22

    If I bought a late model JD 310J backhoe with 2000 hours on it for $20K I would expect there to be something wrong with it. That's more like a $30K+ machine it seems. I would suggest being patient with the shopping. A deal will happen if you can take your time shopping.

  11. #11Bumpsteer2018-10-08 23:06

    Since Deere dumped the 110, prices on good used ones have gone crazy...... Better deals can be found on full size machines. Ed

  12. #12Karaya2018-10-09 13:54

    JCB makes a compact backhoe loader, model 3cx that has pilot controls. I've seen them in the $30,000 range but you have a lot more options if you can go up to $40,000. There are some here: https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/used-equipment/jcb/backhoe-loaders/3cx/ I think these are the Deeres you're thinking of: https://www.constructionequipmentgu...ments-total-machine-control-on-backhoes/11037 Again there are some in the $30,000 to $40,000 range: 310sj: https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/used-equipment/john-deere/backhoe-loaders/310sj/ 410j: https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/used-equipment/john-deere/backhoe-loaders/410j/ Incidentally if you want to compare specs, I really like CEG'S backhoe charts since they give a good overview of all the makes and models and what they can do. The charts don't include info about the pilot controls but they tell you a lot of other important specs. You can find them here: https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/charts/backhoe-loaders

  13. #13Grady2018-10-12 22:58

    It's possible to get a good deal on a machine sight unseen but there are plenty of horror stories on here from people who thought that was a viable option - only to find out otherwise. There's no substitute for being there in person and running it.

  14. #14oceanobob2018-10-13 07:20

    May I add the idea to try the rental yard for machine purchase? Sometimes their machines are a bit newer than the budget allows, but I thought I would include it for sake of discussion.

  15. #15Hokiesmokes2018-11-01 21:27

    I find the Case 3 stick style easiest to run of the backhoe controls. I'm used to Cat pattern in an excavator; if you're used to Deere going to a 2 stick backhoe won't be too bad. I can run them but it takes me a minute to think it through and I look like a goof doing it. I've never been on a 4 stick machine. A lot of fords are 4 stick; they also made 2 stick though. Deere will probably be a 2 stick machine. I'd look for a Ford or Case with your budget. A benefit too, they're lighter than Deere or Cat machines so they'll haul easier. Pilot controls are just sweet but you'll need a fairly modern machine to get them. Honestly the mini x and bobcat/tractor loader are the way to go for versatility I think.