Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Moving up from t190

Heedfarm00 · 2024-01-21 17:49

I currently have a t190 and it does everything I need for now. I use it for cutting wood (grapple bucket), clearing trails, moving gravel, etc. I’d like something with more lift capacity and maybe a little more power. What should I look at? I’m also not sure if I should be looking at track machines or wheel units. I’m typically in the woods playing in mud. Anybody have advice on something a little bigger than the t190?

Replies14
  1. #1CM19952024-01-21 18:23

    New or used? What is your budget? What dealers do you have relatively close?

  2. #2KSSS2024-01-21 18:26

    If your happy with a T190, the world will explode for you when you run other options. That growling sound that machine makes as it goes over relief just looking at a dirt pile, you don't listen to that. I am not sure how much you want to spend. I would run a Cat 279D3, CASE 310B and whatever Bobcat's equal to those machines would be. No matter what color you pick, you will throw rocks at the T-190 before you got back in it.

  3. #3Heedfarm002024-01-21 18:32

    I’m looking at used. My 190 is an 05 I believe with 2000hrs. I obviously don’t want something a lot older or tons or hours but I’m thinking my budget is around 35k. I’m near Pittsburgh Pa. I was just hoping to pick the brains of some of you super knowledgeable guys on here who have experience with other machines. And like I stated I’m new to skid loaders so I’m not even sure if tracks or wheels would better suit me.

  4. #4KSSS2024-01-21 19:13

    Sounds like if your in mud a lot, then your right to go with tracks. Look around and find out what options you have at that price point and post them, I am sure you will have people chime in.

  5. #5willie592024-01-21 19:59

    Like CM stated, one important factor is the dealer in your area, what are they like, don't matter what machine you choose you're going to need parts and support. If you stay with Bobcat, a T300 has way more arse than a T190. A wheel machine is better for pavement or smooth ground. If you're off road, rough terrain, or mud/soft ground a track machine is better.

  6. #6CM19952024-01-21 20:19

    We have had good service out of our 279D's. One is a 2016 and the other 2019. IIRC the 2016 has around 3K on the clock. Here are a few in your price range - https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/search?Category=1055&Model=279D&Manufacturer=CATERPILLAR&Hours=1500%2A3000&sort=2

  7. #7Heedfarm002024-01-22 18:09

    Upon my searches I see a ton of t590s for sale in my price range. Any suggestions on that particular model, and why there’s so many for sale?

  8. #8CM19952024-01-22 18:54

    It's a Bobcat? Just kidding - I have no knowledge of the 590's one way or the other.

  9. #9willie592024-01-22 19:46

    T590 is pretty much the updated version of the T190 which is no longer in production

  10. #10willie592024-01-22 20:13

    If you're looking for a bigger machine with more arse and are going to stay with Bobcat and the budget you're suggesting then I'd look at a T300. Yes, like the T190 it's going to have a little age on it, same production years as the T190, but the G series and K series Bobcat were solid machines and there's a lot of them out there with relatively low hours in you're price range. T190 and T590 are small frame machines, the T300 was a large frame machine, much heavier, larger track footprint, and way more horsepower.

  11. #11Heedfarm002024-01-23 07:02

    That’s exactly the type of information I was hoping for. Thanks!

  12. #12Heedfarm002024-01-24 15:42

    Sorry to be a bother but from my searches it’s hard to find a t300 within a reasonable distance to me. Here’s my question, would I be wiser to hold out and find a low hour (hopefully somewhere around 2-2500) t300 or would I be better off finding a slightly higher hour and few extra $$ t770? I’m having a hard time deciding where my cutoff should be in regards to hours

  13. #13Heedfarm002024-01-26 10:35

    Finally made a decision. This came out of left field and definitely not what I was even looking for but a basically new t66 came up for a screaming deal. 1k hours, still has warranty left on it. I think it’ll be a huge upgrade over my 2005 t190

  14. #14KSSS2024-01-26 11:21

    Like I said, you will be throwing rocks at the T190 (which I did after demoing one in the early 2000's).