Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mowing a 3-1 slope with a ctl.

Doug580l · 2020-02-18 13:05

I am considering buying a ctl to, among other things mow the back of a dam which is approx a 3 to 1 slope. I would be mowing it sideways and was wondering if that would be safe to do. I have been mowing it with a Kioti dk65 with a bush hog. It is kinda scary as it will occasionally lose traction and slide a little. I was planning on replacing the kioti with another 4wd tractor but am thinking that a ctl might serve me better. Aside from mowing the back of the dam, there are several miles of trails through the forest that are overgrown on the sides(lots of russian olives) that need attention as well as bush hogging a few times a year. I am also planning on digging a few small ponds. I talked to a case dealer and he says that the tr270 would handle the side slopes with no problems. I have watched quite a few videos on youtube but never ran a ctl myself. My only experience with skid steers is about 200 hours on a case 1840. It's over 60 miles to the dealer and I haven't asked about testing the machine out here yet, it's too wet now anyways. I would appreciate some input from guys that have run these machines. Thanks, Doug

Replies23
  1. #1mowingman2020-02-18 13:20

    Be sure and get a high-flow machine and a high-flow brush cutter. I can tell you from experience that the regular-flow machines will overheat when mowing in heavy/thick grass or brush in the summer. Also, you may get some sideways sliding with the CTL on steep areas. However, you will not turn over or tip if you keep the mower down on the ground. Plus, you can steer the tracks as needed to stay firmly planted on the ground. It should work fine, but I highly suggest you go with the high-flow option.

  2. #2Doug580l2020-02-18 15:27

    Thanks for the reply, mowingman. I was hoping that the 24 gpm regular flow would be enough. Not many tr270's out there with the highflo. I will likely be buying new so i guess I can order one, don't know how much more that will be than one on the lot. 90% of the trails I mow are not thick at all so that shouldn't be a problem. The back of the dam is about 1000' or so long and varies from about 15' to about 40' wide. Other than the trails, I've been bush hogging early in the mornings while the grass is wet and stop when it dries out so the radiator and ac condenser don't get plugged. I plan on keeping the Kioti(needs a new clutch and probably hyd pump) to do the open areas and use the ctl for the trails and dam. Most of the fields have a lot of areas that I need to back up with the tractor to get. I plan on using the ctl for that too since it hurts my neck to look backwards.

  3. #3KSSS2020-02-18 22:23

    I would opt for the tr310 over the 270 for that application. The wider track system on the 310 will hold itself better than the narrower 270 track. These machines make good aux flow, I don't think I would waste the money on high flow for that application. You can get more mower and get high flow but based on what your stating you wouldn't need to have it.

  4. #4mowingman2020-02-19 10:35

    I realize the high flow option can get pricey. You might not need it if you do not mow in super thick conditions and or very hot weather. My experience has been in both thick conditions and hot weather. If you can afford the high flow, I would certainly go for it. If you are a little more budget limited, then a regular flow machine and mower deck should work ok for you in the conditions you describe. Good luck with your purchase.

  5. #5Doug580l2020-02-21 10:14

    Thanks for the replies. I am overthinking this, as usual. I was about ready to go for it until I found out that the price I was quoted was a cash price and if I went for the 0% for 60 months Case is offering as I was planning on, it would add about 10% to the price I was quoted. I would normally buy a used machine but with all that I've read about the track systems needing major repairs at around 3000 hours or so, it made more sense to buy new. I worry about buying a used low hour machine like a rental because it's difficult to know if it's been abused. The company I used to work for had several skid steers and a cold planer and breaker, but if they got a bigger job that they were going to use them on for more than a few hours, they would usually rent a machine for it because they are so hard on the machines. Like I said, I'm overthinking, lol

  6. #6RTSmith2020-02-22 12:48

    But there's a world of difference between how hard a breaker and a mower are on a machine.

  7. #7RTSmith2020-02-22 12:50

    And why must you do it sideways? I do most of my mowing with ag tractors, and have always been taught to go up & down steep slopes...???

  8. #8AllDodge2020-02-22 13:02

    If you were just going to cut grass I would suggest Kubota F series, but heavy bush hoging and such you have it right

  9. #9Doug580l2020-02-23 09:22

    The point I was trying to make is that I am worried about buying a rental machine or a used machine not knowing if the machine has been worked very hard or abused. It seems that the dealers don't give much of a price break for a machine with a several hundred hours on it compared to a new one anyways.

  10. #10Doug580l2020-02-23 09:36

    There isn't enough room at the bottom of the hill to turn around for most of the hill. There is also an area where the pond leaks at the base of the hill that is extremely soft. First time I found it with the tractor one of the front tires sank to the axle. I assume that a ctl with a lower center of gravity and tracks has to be safer to use that the tractor I've been using. Thanks, Doug

  11. #11DIYDAVE2020-02-29 21:34

    On My ASV RC30, the built in meter on the dash, is right over a sticker that says do not operate at over 15 degrees... I would mow the bottom 5-6 runs, across, then go up forward and back down the hill. They start to feel tippy, at 15 degrees, whether they do, or not. Your grade is prolly at about 18-19 degrees. For the record, I mow a hill with this machine, in the manner stated, and that hill measures 35-38º... When You are approachin that 38º part, your ass starts takin a bite, outta the seat! Also known as the sphinctomanometer angle gauge...

  12. #12Doug580l2020-03-01 18:18

    Lol, Don't think you could get me on a slope any where close to that.

  13. #13AllDodge2020-03-01 18:33

    My F3990 can do about 40 degrees and move right across

  14. #14DIYDAVE2020-03-01 20:40

    This is a hill on the farm, that is too steep, to farm. Starts out at about 15-20º, and gets steeper, as you go up! Hope to keep it mowed, this year with the Altoz TRX. that thing loves steep slopes...

  15. #15JBrady2020-03-03 17:22

    I agree with AllDodge and that is what I have done. Mine is a John Deere F935. It's a front deck mower that was made in the late 90's/early 2000s before zero turns took over. They sell for ridiculously low prices for what you are getting. I bought a F915 for $500 and a near mint condition F935 for $2000. You can't even buy a decent riding mower for that. It has a yanmar diesel in it and will climb hills like a billy goat. 72" cut on the F935 and way more comfortable when mowing. It won't cut a 3" blackjack oak, but it will cut black willows and all the other junk that grows around a pond all day long.

  16. #16Doug580l2020-03-03 19:56

    I just looked up some info on that TRX. Cool looking machine! I saw an add that said the TRX7661 can cut up to 2" thick material. The prices are lower than I expected too.

  17. #17Doug580l2020-03-03 20:02

    That's sounds scary, lol.

  18. #18Doug580l2020-03-03 20:09

    Interesting. I see that is a 2wd machine? Will it do the 18 degree side hills? We have pretty well decided to wait at least a year before buying a ctl and this could do several of the things I need done. Only downside is that I assume I can't let the back of the dam get so high between cuttings. I only did it once last year because I hate the constant feeling that I'm going to tip over.

  19. #19AllDodge2020-03-03 20:10

    Its not bad, was worried the first time I went on the slope, but now its just second nature

  20. #20JBrady2020-03-03 21:04

    All the front deck mowers are 2wd, the ones in the rear are just like the ones on the front on a zero turn. It was a pretty capable machine when I got it with turf tires, but I kept getting flats. I put baby skid steer tires on the drive wheels and that made a huge difference and no more flats. I don’t know the angle, but It will do off camber enough that I have to take a hand off the steering wheel and hold onto the seat to stay on. That was about enough for me, but I am sure it would have done more. What’s really great about it though is I can mow up under a tree with a low canopy and not get myself into the canopy, just like backing a brush hog under something but better than a brush hog because you don’t have to be turned around all the time to see what you are doing.

  21. #21AllDodge2020-03-03 21:08

    Mine is 4WD

  22. #22JBrady2020-03-03 23:00

    Cool, I bet that’s a beast. The only complaint I have had on my John Deere is there is not much ground clearance. I have high centered it a few times and had to get another tractor to lift it up. I am sure 4wd would have got me out. I think John Deere quit making them at some point or if they still make them they are reel mowers for golf courses and the like.

  23. #23DIYDAVE2020-03-04 06:43

    That 2" claim is for the bush hog type deck, I have the finish deck, 5'. I get uncomfortable side-hilling more than 38º. The hill I mow on the farm is eyebrow shaped, and the best way to do it is sidehill. The way I measure the angle was to buy one of these little doo-hickies from Harbor freight, stick it on the foot rest, or other normally horizontal piece of sheet metal, to measure the angle: https://www.harborfreight.com/dial-gauge-angle-finder-34214.html I don't use anything with a deck over 5', anything over that seems to scalp too much!