Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mowing / brush clearing with a 10 ton excavator

tkoden ยท 2016-05-22 22:41

I have a client that wants me to mow the sides of a few overgrown ranch roads. These roads are very over grown with 1"-2" saplings, brush, poisen oak, and berry vines. I will be using a 60" rotary mower from my skidsteer mounted on my excavator. I am trying to get some kind of idea on how long it would take. Assuming heavy brush over 1 mile of road to the point that only a side by side atv can fit down the road. How many hrs should it take to open the road up to 12'+ wide. My guess is about 6-8 hrs to do both sides of the road 10' high and 12'-14' wide but I have never done anything but field mowing. I know it's only a guess but I just want to make sure I can do it within their budget. Also, if you don't mind sharing, how much do you charge for mowing and with what equipment?

Replies3
  1. #1Dapperdan162016-05-22 23:02

    Hello tkoden, I get $80 an hour to mow with a New Holland TC40D 40hp with a 5ft brush hog, no idea how much to charge for the job you mentioned, but I would think you could get it done in 6-8hrs Danny

  2. #2fast_st2016-05-23 05:57

    6-8 hours, hmm, I'd almost think 6-8 hours on each side. Depends on how many saplings, I'd probably want to walk it, clip the big ones with a chain saw and then mow the rest with the skid steer, less expensive machine to run.

  3. #3Scrub Puller2016-05-23 07:14

    Yair . . . Dunno fellers. Your conditions are obviously different to here but I have a 65HP Chinese tractor and a six foot slasher similar to Dapperdan16s and right now I am mowing thick wattle up to about twelve feet high and one to two inches through at about a slow walking pace . . . what's that about two miles per hour? I would do say three passes to knock it down to width and then a pass up and back to clear it off the road . . . the clean up passes will be quicker so I reckon 6 to 8 hours is probably on the money. Cheers.