I have a front idler with busted bearing. I'm told I have to replace the entire idler. Be that as it may, I've reached an impass. I got the track off and idler off. Not a problem. Then I unbolted the spring and it's housing from the yoke that straddles the idler. Next I drove the roll pins out from each side that hold the axel pinned into the yoke (I thought I was going to have to force that issue, but I applied head and got a bigger hammer and they came out). But now I'm stymied. I don't know how to get the axel to press out of the yoke.. It is tighter than Dicks Hat band and no way to get to it really, that I can see, short of a hydraulic press (which I do not have). Ideas anyone? Its bad enough to have to pau $432 for new idler....If I can, I'd like to avoid having Cat get the old idler out and installing a new one. Thanks much for any help. Respectfully to all, Stacy Whetzell
New Idler should come with the yoke. http://www.amazon.com/4I7337-Idler-Group-Fits-Caterpillar/dp/B00R34FKDI
If large quantities of heat applied to the idler support in the immediate area of the pin plus liberal applications of an FBH do not work then it's find a local machine shop with a press I'm afraid.
Nige. You are right about the roll pin. Lot of heat and wearing a 20lb hammer down to just over 15 lbs and both pins came out. Lantraxco. That explains why say you have to buy the entire thing. Guess that means I wore down my hammer for nothing. Thanks guys. I'll be ordering a new one tomorrow. Stacy
I was referring to getting the axle shaft/pin out, not the roll pin. Basically the procedure is the same, it just requires more force. You don't have a machine shop with a press locally..? Pressing the pin out isn't but a 5-minute job with a few tons behind it. Even with a press heating the support is probably the best way. TBH I've never had major issues with disassembly of this component but then again we always had the tools to do it if you get my drift.