I'm a palm tree farmer , and preparing to harvest for first time. The trees will have 6-10 feet of wood on them , so will weigh anywhere between 2-4,000 lbs. I know most palm tree farmers use compact wheel loaders (CWL) , like a CAT 906 , or JD 244J , because they have a higher lift capacity. My problem is that I have a space issue. A MTL (tracked skid steer) , would fit my application much , much better. My question is ; will a MTL like a JD CT332 , or a BC T300 get the job done? Do they really lift as much as specifications indicate? I will be using a tree boom of course, and I know this changes lift capacity. Any preference John Deere vs Bobcat ? Any other make model ? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Just to remove any misunderstandings, the MTL is a CAT moniker for their suspended undercarriage machines (supplied by ASV/Terex). The machines you list are CTL (Compact Track Loaders). I would say that if the trees weigh up to 4K and you have to use a tree boom (which I would guess to be similiar to a truss hanger type attachment). You would need a substanial track loader. If it was just 4K on a set of pallet forks that would be easy enough, but extending 4 K well beyond the end of the machine could bring some problems. I am not sure if those trees weigh what you believe them to, that you could lift that kind of weight but, I guess you could demo a couple and see what kind of lift capacity you need with the tree boom.
Being a native Floridian myself I can attest to palm trees weighing a great deal, they have an enormous amount of water in them. I worked on an estate home project in 2006 where the landscape contractor was delivering an planting 3, 30' Royal Palms and had a brandy-new 120t Grove crane on hand to do the lifting and placing. The crane operator was somewhat surprised by the stress on the boom. Believe me, palm trees are much heavier than they appear. As for the "tree boom" they're more akin to an inverted J-hook than a truss rig, they generally don't stick out much further than 5' from the coupler as a rule though some are larger and stick out further.
Yes , date palms are heavier than most people think. Especially when grown in a subtropical environment. Have been considering a JD ct332 2007/2008 . Tip load (50%) is 4600 lbs. So, I should be able to load a 4,000 lb tree safely ? Salesmen say yes. Was just hoping to hear from someone that has real life experience.
Just remember that the load center of the boom you'll be using is much further out than the buckets typically used to determine SAE tipping loads.
Yea if you need to lift 4K, five feet away front the front of the machine you might have more than you would want to lift in a tracked machine or any skid steer.
Thanks for the input . Sounds like a wheel loader is inevitable.
Wheel loaders have less operating cost per hr than a comparable skid steer. Tires for instance last way longer on a wheel loader. Also with a large skid loader turf damage will be high when running at capacity. For tight work, you might wanna look at the all wheel steer line from gehl. The ability to crab walk and so on would be handy at times. Also becaue your turning the tire, not the axle your stability in a turn will be better. I have a takeuchi tl140 and It would have its hands very full moving 4k pounds. It can move that type of weight low on the pallet forks, but when you have the boom halfway up and the load 5-6' front, I doubt it.
at 4K you right at the top end of even the largest CTL lifting when your talking about moving trees that have 6'+ root balls. The Tackuechi TL250 is possible the biggest load lifting specs.
I agree that for the load rauius you will have with the palm tree, 4,000# is a lot to ask of a CTL/MTL. You may be able too, but you would be right at the limit all the time, with no reserve capacity for things that go wrong, or even dealing with uneven ground and the like. I would suggest looking into the compact telehandlers. With the steering modes available, maneuverability is good and the telescoping boom will give you more reach.
bobcat t300 has a 3000lb lift cap if you're dead set on a CTL the new t870 bobcat may have enough lift cap, but with a tree boom, you'll be pushing it. :drinkup