A little off topic for HEF but we have hired one of these a couple of times and been impressed with the productivity we have acheived: http://www.mucktruck.com.au/ We build mortared walls mainly and once the main earthworks are done it can be a challenge pushing wheelbarrows into the construction area. I'm all for mechanising as many parts of the operation as I can. They are not cheap at $5K but the next alternative is the tracked dumpers from IR and the like and they run to $18K and more. I am about to order one in the next couple of weeks so I'll keep you guys updated.
keep us posted on how well it works
A rather late update. We ended up not buying but continuing to hire for a few jobs. The productivity gains and more importantly the reduction in potential injuries was impressive. While the concept works very well, the engineering is not good. The Honda "black" engine appears to be a model produced for the low end of the market...maybe to compete with the likes of Briggs & Stratton. The pull start, throttle assembly and carby proved unreliable. Because we had a number of failures on hire I spoke to the mechanic at the hire shop. He said it was rare for the machines to come back without a problem. The last machine we had was on its 3rd gearbox. When I rang them to tell them it had crapped itself again I asked them if I should just drop a match in the tank where it sat....they said bring it back, they'd like to have a ceremonial burning. I believe this machine would be fine for light materials and possibly the not so serious landscaper. However, in a hardscaping, concrete working, building scenario the mechanicals are not up to it. With a "real" Honda it would be a lot better. Also, the diff and gearbox are from a quad bike...I guessing like a 250cc model. A more Heavy duty unit from like a 500cc would be worth paying for. This machine has/had the potential to improve my productivity on jobs and even reduce a labourer on big jobs....I wont however be buying one. I met a Landscaper who just bought two of these machines...he said to watch out for the cheap clones..... I warned him about our experience and he was hoping by looking after them himself (ie not subject to hire use/abuse) that they might do the trick. Sorry the update took so long.