what do you dozer guys like better for ripping?
For my type of work a multi shank for ripping next to stakes or the toe of a cut. They are more versitile as you can pull 1, 2, or 3 shanks. The single shank ripper is probably stronger for the toughest ripping but in the material I work with the multi shank makes alot more sense
This question will be answered by another question. What is your material type? The harder the material the less shanks you use. If you are just scratching the top "crust" to get scrapers started for example you can run a triple shank and just go 2nd gear with the teeth a foot or so down. If you're trying to bust down through some nasty rock you'll want to go with the single shank option and crawl along in 1st adjusting your decelerator so you don't have any track slip (U/C wear). Multi shanks are usually found on the smaller dozers (6+7) as they tend to do the lighter multipurpose work. Single (usually adjustable) shanks show up when you start doing bulk work with larger dozers (8+9+10+11) who are usually in harder ground that other machines cant get in. Single shanks are usually adjustable as well and this comes in really handy when you are either trying to bust through rock or seporate layers of dirt without mixing them. The less shanks the more ripping power you have.
Personaly I prefer the tripple shank for about the same reasons as DPete mentioned. If I am in rock that needs a single shank, I usually have that dozer working out ahead of me. I know that is not an option for everybody but I am quite happy with that arrangment. I have run 8, 9, 10 and 11's with tripple shanks, that had adjustable pitch. It was also possible to adjust the legnth of the shanks but you had to manualy knock the pins out. I did run a D8R once that had a single shank ripper that was converted to tripple shank and that still had the hydraulic pin puller on the center shank, I found this usefull on occasions, when I hit a little tuough stuff I'd lower the center shank and loosen things up with that. Also the three shank set up is way faster in easier going, the single set up has to do three passes to cover the same area. If in an area that has a lot of boulders of a certain size I have found that the single set up can shift them from side to side, the tripple brings them to the surface usually. Make mine a tripple!
Really? I've never seen an adjustable multishank before.
I think that if you are working with pans it would be better to run with a multishank. but if you are working with hoes & trucks a S.S. would be the best bet. The D-9 that I work around has a multishank but he rarely has more than one shank in. which to me is a waste to have the M.S.
maybe it is a west coast thing to run with a multishank on large dozers
where can i get a new tooth cap for my kelly ripper
In normal hard dirt and some hardpan here we run 3 shanks on a D8, you get alot more done per pass. On a typical pond cut we would ripp two directions the last being the same direction as the scrapers will load, then sweep the cut with the dozer in 2nd gear to firm it up and help grind up the chunks. We can usually get 3 ft. out that way then repeat the process. If it's to hard for 3 then we go to two shanks and split the mark, it takes 1/3 longer that way. We have never had to go to one shank in our material to make dirt for scrapers.
here is are D9 and my 345ME hey popcorn do you have any pic of D9 ripping?
i operate an 11r with a double shank setup, and for the material i push it works perfectly, after using a double for a while going back to a single seems like it takes forever to get an area ripped, getting the right setup for the aplication is the key.
I've worked in quite a few country's, the States included but not on the west coast so I think it has more to do with material types and application. I allways ask for a tripple, don't allways get it but it's what I prefer.
Surely you would be able to get one from an Esco dealer, just a guess.
Scanning.... yes! Both single and double shanked:usa
thanks popcorn:notworthy what do you think the dude that runs that spends alot of time with only one in dont you think?
Yeah, it does seem like any time Pushdirt gets into any really serious rock he drops the one shank and slides the other one in the middle. I know he's requested they get a SS ripper for it many times, but to no avail. Nice shots by the way. Are you running the hoe or was it the start of second shift?:usa
that me in the hoe, my old man was in town and want to check out what I do.
Single or multi-shank rippers Hi, Bigcatpip. This question depends VERY much on the most common types of materials being worked with the dozer in question. For heavy duty ripping and mostly hard rock work or for DEEP ripping in whatever situation, a single-shank ripper would be the most logical choice. How-wevver, if you have mostly softer materials and/or you need some versatility for a variety of applications, the multi-shank arrangement is the way to go. Just my 0.02.
We hardly ever single out our dozers. Out of 200 jobs Id say we single out once or twice. In 2 years of working for this company I singled out once, it was on a rock face with 4 hammer hoes above me. I have never had 3 shanks on a dozer just 2. We dont single out my d10t either. If I have to stop and think about going to a single shank my boss calls in the powder company. I have only had one pit blasted also. Usually we have about 8 dozers on a job (d8's d9's) and my d10 the only one we have. So we cross rip at the same time.
Now we demand that you upload a picture of this! Here in Finland the rock is soo darn hard, so not even a sss D11 would stand a chance :Banghead everything has to be blasted with dynamite. but in the winter dozers can be used to rip up frozen ground, but mostly contractors use ripper attachments on there excavators.
Picture of my 10 or all the dozers together? I can post plenty of all of em lol We are in this shale/ mud stone and this stuff can get tuff! At times my shanks on my d10 just cause it to stand on its toes. When you do get under it it just breaks out big chunks Ive had whole shelfs break off and slide with me.
when you work by the hour, a single shank ripper works just fine.... doesn't matter what the conditions are!! hahaha
Teaser Here is a pic I just uploaded.. ill post more for you guys D10T...D9T...D8R series II
The AUD has devalued So my $0.02 is probably worth less than usual. Ours run multshank, dragging two tynes, or one in the middle if it gets tougher. I have seen a 4H with M/S but set up with a giant in the middle complete with pin puller - it was laying fibre optic cable in soft ground. I thought it was the ideal setup. I've been jumped on for saying this here before but IMO "a dozer without rippers is only half a dozer". Try digging a hole up here in the dry without and you'd soon see why. Another of my favorite sayings is " they send me a D6 with three tynes when the D8 can hardly drag one". But I continue to buy the multi because it is more versatile. Works for me
oilfieldhand nice pic. Do you have any limestone rock in your area?
No, not in the area I am currently in or ever work in. Word has it there is limestone a little farther north. This stuff im usually always in is mud stone and shale. Lots of fossils
do you look for any arrowheads.. I work with a guy at lunchtime that's all he did was look for them. never saw the point in that to me that like look for a 22 shell.
All Giant Variable Rippers around here.
now That is a ripper!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes Sir ..... The tool bar's (Bit the ripper slides in) are filled with Shot. Takes there weight up to 7-8ton and thats just the tool bar!
Dont really have the time or the want to go look lol I have found several antlers while stripping topsoil
hey oilfieldhand, what do you think of the new style ripper control?
I like the new style controls, the auto stow button is my favorite thing of all