Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Multidocker CH65

iwand_Lca ยท 2023-02-11 03:05

(Multidocker CH65, engine C15, year 2008) Hi! I have a problem with material handler Multidocker ch65 (engine C15) year 2008. Engine speed drops when lifting a load. About half year ago we had problem with the quality of the fuel, but I'm not sure in 100% if it's fuel or engine fault. I have a few ideas: 1. Engine wear 2. Fuel pump 3. Unit injector 4. Power Shift System 5. Hydraulic pump What do you think about it? Check the video! https://www.youtube.com/shorts/qSWFzKFWDIY

Replies14
  1. #1Nige2023-02-11 15:07

    1. What happens to the smoke coming out of the exhaust when the engine lugs down.? Any change.? 2. I can see that you have obviously changed fuel filters but have you been into the tank and drained the water & sediment.? There must be a drain on it somewhere. Also have you blown all the fuel lines out with compressed air.? 3. Did you put a fuel pressure gauge on the test port and check what the fuel supply pressure from the transfer pump is doing when the engine lugs down.? 4. How many total operating hours does the engine have since the last overhaul.?

  2. #2iwand_Lca2023-02-11 15:57

    1. Very little when the engine almost stops. 2. We drained all the fuel from the top tank and filled up with a new one. We didn't clean the fuel line. 3. We didn't check the pressure. We want to first try to feed the engine with fuel bypassing the lines from the tank. 4. The engine has not been overhauled and has 12,000 hours I suspect the fuel lines the most. I'll keep checking on Monday. Thank you for your answer

  3. #3Nige2023-02-11 16:03

    While you are checking/cleaning the fuel lines I suggest that you should remove the head from each of the fuel filters and poke a wire through the ports or blow with compressed air to ensure that no debris is lodged in the passeages in the filter head. Remove any pipe fittings/connectors and check them for blockage at the same time. Also do not forget to blow in the reverse direction to the fuel flow through the suction tube in the tank with compressed air. Once you have done that I would suggest it's time to get a pressure gauge on the supply from the transfer pump.

  4. #4iwand_Lca2023-02-11 18:22

    Thanks for your very good tips. I will reply after checking.

  5. #5Nige2023-02-11 19:03

    Here's a question for you. Apart from the engine how much of that machine is also Caterpillar.? For example the hydraulic pumps & controls. Do you have a Serial Number for the engine.?

  6. #6iwand_Lca2023-02-11 19:12

    I'm not sure about the other components, but i can check it.

  7. #7Nige2023-02-11 20:08

    Ok, so it's a Cat Mobile Power Unit built around the basics of a 365CL excavator platform. The machine Serial Number is actually GSZ00122, not 6Z as stamped on the data plate. The best thing about it being an MHPU is that there should be a lot of information available regarding Testing & Adjusting of the hydraulic system. That will need the excavator experts to get involved.

  8. #8iwand_Lca2023-02-11 20:16

    Experts from Zeppelin CAT Sweden working with this from September:-/ I am a maintenance mechanic, only small repairs and reporting faults to the service

  9. #9Nige2023-02-11 21:52

    Well let's see what HEF's excavator experts can come up with..........

  10. #10John C.2023-02-12 21:33

    So many possibilities. Hours on the machine? Fault codes? The 365C had proportional electronic joy stick controls. Does this machine as well? How about the oil level in the pump drive case? What is the machine doing when the engine is being drug down?

  11. #11heymccall2023-02-12 21:57

    Cat sure as heck ain't gonna pay, what are the oil samples like (for hydro)? Pressure testing hydraulics for destroke? Just because there was a letter doesn't mean it'll happen to your machine, but, it certainly makes it worth inspecting.

  12. #12uffex2023-02-13 04:41

    good day If it is only boom raise that loads the engine I would be inclined to be checking the engine out, fuel contamination issues in modern engines will often have a negative effect on the injectors & pumps. Kind regards Uffex

  13. #13iwand_Lca2023-02-15 09:53

    Fuel tank and lines cleaned, fuel filter and water separator replaced. Fuel was dark. The first tests went very well. I hope it was a fuel problem. Tomorrow we'll do a test while unloading the ship. The photo shows the fuel tank.

  14. #14Nige2023-02-15 14:02

    Oh that's not good......... Please can you elaborate a little on your "Engine speed drops when lifting a load" comment. Obviously more power is needed to lift a full bucket than for any other function but was the engine speed also dropping (but maybe not so obviously or by so many RPM) when using other functions such as the swing or the stick in/out function.?