Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Muncie PTO pump won’t engage on F550 / Terex TL39P Bucket truck

silverstr8p ยท 2025-03-03 19:19

On my F550, there's a Muncie "Engage PTO" rocker switch that lights up next to a oil pressure gauge for the bucket truck hydraulic supply, which is supposed to engage the transmission mounted PTO pump, but it's intermittent. The rocker button does work, so does the relay under the dash, since it disables the overdrive, as shown by the light illuminating on the transmission shifter stalk. If you let the truck warm up for a long time, it just magically starts working and then the bucket will work for hours. I have a manual for the TL39P bucket/lift, but it won't do anything until it gets pressurized oil.

Replies19
  1. #1mekanik2025-03-03 19:43

    Do you have the PTO installation manual? Muncie's manuals are available on their website. Support | Literature | Power Take-Off Find all available literature for Muncie Power Products' power take-off units. www.munciepower.com

  2. #2silverstr8p2025-03-03 19:52

    Thanks, I'll take a look. I saw some numbers on the back of the switch, but I wasn't sure if that was the part number I should be looking for, or the one that's down by the transmission. The truck is a 2002 F550 diesel. I'll see if I can find numbers on the tranny PTO unit.

  3. #3mekanik2025-03-03 20:09

    There should be a tag on the PTO but it may have fallen off. You might be able to identify by what transmission you have.

  4. #4silverstr8p2025-03-03 22:52

    I crammed myself under the truck and these are the best pictures I could get wedged between truck and ground and tried to spray off the crud with brake parts cleaner. Really hard to distinguish any data plates:

  5. #5silverstr8p2025-03-03 23:10

    And here's the switch.

  6. #6crane operator2025-03-04 07:48

    I've got a 450 with a similar set up. I think mine has a big 12v coil/solenoid that's activated by the dash switch. I bet your coil is weak. Or someone left it engaged and it's got a damaged gear.

  7. #7silverstr8p2025-03-04 11:01

    I wondered if some solenoid isn't being activated, but I don't know how to test it. Maybe once I figure out what unit it is I can track down some wiring and see if I can manually inject 12VDC and see if it engages. Is the red part the solenoid and the blue part the pump, or is there an external solenoid somewhere? There has to be wires to the solenoid, probably large ones. Edit: Muncie has a product selector showing what I *think* to be a FA64-F1406-H2TX, with a separately sold wiring harness I'm trying to find with a part number 34T38267 according to this data sheet: https://www.munciepower.com/cms/files/Products/Literature/Documents/QR/FORD-02.pdf It doesn't really tell me where to look to find the solenoid, or how to test it, but at least I have more information. Also, that unit doesn't look like what I have, so still searching.

  8. #8mekanik2025-03-04 11:20

    What year engine and transmission is the truck? When the PTO engages does the engine speed increase?

  9. #9silverstr8p2025-03-04 11:22

    2002 7.3L Powerstroke with automatic transmission and 4x4, yes the speed does increase.

  10. #10Coaldust2025-03-04 12:03

    Miss Bre at Muncie Power just posted an informative blog about PTO troubleshooting. PTO Troubleshooting: What to do when the PTO indicator light does not come on Troubleshooting an indicator light that is not coming on when the PTO should be engaged depends on the style of PTO being used, but it can be done easily with a couple of common tools. www.munciepower.com

  11. #11mekanik2025-03-04 12:13

    It looks like your PTO is a FR63/64/67 with a remote mount solenoid. Go to the Muncie link I posted above and select FR63/FR67 That will take you to all the manuals for that series PTO.

  12. #12silverstr8p2025-03-04 12:48

    Was looking at that, thanks! Now I have to figure out where the solenoid is mounted and see if I can make it activate.

  13. #13mekanik2025-03-04 12:56

    Its probably mounted inside the frame rail near the PTO.

  14. #14crane operator2025-03-04 14:52

    In your picture, the red part is the gearbox, the blue is the pump. The coil solenoid becomes a magnet when you apply 12v. You can also do ohm check,

  15. #15crane operator2025-03-04 18:24

    Yes, that's where mine is, if I remember correctly.

  16. #16mekanik2025-03-04 18:37

    I'm going to disagree! The PTO is blue and the pump is red.

  17. #17crane operator2025-03-04 19:19

    Oh- I think you're right, I had to tilt my head a couple ways to see it.

  18. #18mekanik2025-03-04 19:48

    Muncie PTO's are blue! Unless the paint falls off.

  19. #19silverstr8p2025-03-07 00:26

    Fired up truck today and it ran fine, go figure. We should be able to get it up on the lift and get a better idea of what's happening with the solenoid, definitely suspect.