Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

mustang

mflah87 ยท 2008-01-11 13:10

anyone here own a mustang skid steer? Just wondering your thoughts on them?

Replies61
  1. #1cat3202008-01-11 13:41

    The mustang is made by gehl or is a subsady of the parent co. if you notice the cabs are pretty similar. I have never run a mustang but the gehl is pretty good .

  2. #2KSSS2008-01-13 20:49

    Mustang like Gehl are well built from a structural standpoint. The fit and finish is not what you will find on other machines. I think ergonomically speaking they are not at the same level as others either. They believe in high hp machines which makes them productive. They are simplistic in design. Me personally I like to be comfortable and I don't get that in a Gehl machine. The other issue is resale. They don't hold their value as well as others. They get seem to get the job done though.

  3. #3bigblueox2008-01-13 21:13

    Takeuchi too the takeuchi ctls are the same as well are they not? they seem very similar in structure as well as operation. i don't kss's coment about ergenomics. imo ergenomically the layout is ideal ( again imo). they are simple and powerfull. I have logged quite a few hours in a tl150 and found it quite comfortable ( considiring i'm comparing to a t300 bobcat and a 277 cat). out of the three i like the TAK the best. thats hard for me to stomch since if "its not a cat it's a dog".

  4. #42109 Stang2008-01-13 22:37

    As many on this site know by now I have the big Mustang and previously owned a 1996 2040 Mustang at that time I think it was as good if not better than bobcats They don't have the fancy electronics like some other machines but I don't want that either on my machines ,I like a machine that is simple , reliable has the necessary hp good visibility and a confortable seat. KSSS I used to owned an 1845C ,Great machine but don't missed one bit too tippsy and to light weight on front ,great and simple hydraulics and the best motor on the market .

  5. #52109 Stang2008-01-13 22:40

    To answer your question I will recomend Mustang to anybody any time .

  6. #6KSSS2008-01-14 14:29

    The comments about the Gehl/Mustang machines don't include the tracked machines which are built by TK and so Gehl has nothing to do with that which is a good thing. Stang the 1845C is a great machine, especially considering when it was built. They wont compare as well with nearly anything built currently except in perhaps reliability. The CASE dealer here is picking up the Gehl line to have access to their Telehandlers. I look forward to spending more time on the Gehl products expecially the 7810. The

  7. #7bigblueox2008-01-14 17:26

    i'm sorry i'm sorry i misunderstood. I thought you were talking about the CTL machines. In my only experience with a Gehl skid steer it took a while for me the get used to the controls, funky twisting joysticks! i've never run a mustang skid steer tho so i don't have an opinion. sorry again i thought you were talking about the ctls. Probally should have read the first post!

  8. #8mikef872008-01-26 10:25

    How do you like the 2109?

  9. #92109 Stang2008-01-26 12:36

    Mike the 2109 is a wonderfull machine ,I like it a lot, is perfectly suited for my work, I'm doing some work right now with a friend that has a New Holland 180 and the 2109 is not really much bigger than that, the main difference is the width and that's my biggest concern on this machine ,you need a deck over trailer to haul it around ,but if you'r moving a lot of dirt and loading trucks in tight places like I do there's no other machine like it.

  10. #10dirtmandan2008-01-26 14:09

    mustangs I have a 2109 I bought new in 05. It has been nothing but trouble since it was new. It has been at the dealer at least 6 months in the time I have owned it. The dealer won't even talk trade with me. This is my fourth new Mustang I've bought and my last. I still have the first one I got, a 1983 441, a great little machine. In 1995 I got a 960, another great machine. Then I made the mistake of trading the 960 on a 2060 in 1997, the first year of all the electric safety devices. Once I overcame all the problems it wasn't too bad of a machine. My 2109 now sits in the shop with dead batteries after getting it back from the dealer, who had it for two months this time. They installed a battery update kit, now has two batteries, and a new alternator. It has had a long list of other problems,most under warranty. When it runs it is a hellava machine. You can really move some dirt with it. I just wish it wasn't so problematic. I hope you have better luck with yours

  11. #11mikef872008-01-26 15:09

    I'll mostly be using it for snow removal, I have a office complex with parking decks that have a 12,000 lbs vehicle rating. I'm looking at a 2109 and a 2044. We don't use skid steers to much, mostly snow or to put a sweeper on to clean a job up. I rented a Cat 906, but it's to high to get into the parking garages so if I can get something that can do both it'll be ideal. We put a snow blower attachment on it. I have a Bobcat S250, Bobcat 553, a Cat 226 and a Cat 252. I'll more than likely dump the S250 for the 2 mustangs.

  12. #12TATER2008-02-03 15:15

    Junk!

  13. #13dirtmandan2008-02-04 07:39

    mustangs TATER I would have argued that point until I bought a 2109 !!

  14. #14XL4300X2008-02-18 22:03

    Nice machines, the place I used to work for was a dealer for them. The 2044 and 2054 are the more common ones we used to sell. They are both the same machine except the 54 weighs more, picks up more and uses a bigger bucket. The 2066, 2076, and 2086 are the bigger ones. The 66 is a waste in my opinion. The 76 amd 86 are the way to go. They don't use regular pilot controls for travel, its a stick that you move forward and reverse to move and you twist to steer. It's actually pretty good once you get the hand of it, you get a little bit more control in tight spots. The 2099 and 2109 are the big boys and both offer the regular pilot controls. In my opinion, they are just too big to be skid steers unless you have the right application for them. Their excavators are great also.

  15. #15bobcat ron2008-02-18 22:22

    My Dad owned an old '92 930A, piece of crap!!! Wiring harnesses were always shorting out, constant hydraulic hose failures, that god awful T bar steering, everytime I see a Mustang on the internet, I spit on my screen!

  16. #16mikef872008-02-19 06:33

    I'm going to call my dealer, and rent one for a week or 2 when we're getting a snow storm to try it out. I want to make sure it'll start when it's cold and see how well they act. Thanks for all the inquires. I would buy another Cat machine , but I had issues with a machine called him for help, he didn't want to hear it because it was a weekend. Since then I've been buying Komatsu.

  17. #17xkv8r2008-02-19 11:05

    The ones we see around here are usually rentals.My best friend is rep. Nobody buys them, or Gehl, seems like they are always breaking down. We always see a machine sitting and new one getting dropped off to finish the job.I am not trying to knock them , this is just what I have seen.

  18. #18iron kid2008-02-19 13:55

    they get stuck easy even with steel tracks seems like they get hang up

  19. #19mark18mwm2009-01-25 09:26

    i have a gehl (same thing) and love it ,mine is old, small,and tired but i love it. its also handy,inexpensive and most of all paid for,becouse it was cheap to begin with.

  20. #20landtekk2009-01-25 10:16

    I have a gehl 5635 and it is a tough machine and well built and reliable. balance is good. Owned two Mustangs, 940 great machine for its size, 2040, throw away the electronics and it's the same machine although built lighter than gehl.5000 hr on gehl and I still use it as a productoin machine. The 2109 seems to have problems but it's a nice concept.

  21. #21MagnumB2009-02-18 22:26

    That 2109 is something for sure, I agree though, it blurs the line a bit. You can't get it into tight spaces, it's almost a step between a compact wheel loader and a regular skid steer. I would love to try one though ;o) and for the right environment, I can see it being a beast.....When I look at pictures of it, it looks like anyone standing beside the machine is a "kid again" hehehehe.... This is my first post btw. Been lurking for a while I look forward to participating here. Great group of people!!!

  22. #222109 Stang2009-02-23 03:17

    Well the alternator went out on my 2109

  23. #23positrack2009-02-28 19:41

    we had a asv 4810 and tryed an rc 100 now we got a 2109 no contest the 2109 wins hands down ,we use it for mulching it has more power more hyd flow ,cant fault it .

  24. #242109 Stang2009-03-01 01:05

    It's nice to know someone is having a positive experience with these machines ,I can't say good enough about my machine so far ,but I don't put that many hours on mine to talk about it, I haven't used hi flow yet but ,there is power to spare at 115 net hp and 29 gpm low flow that,s allready more flow than many machines hi flow, ride quality and visibility are unmatch by any other skidsteer that I have tryed, so far a happy camper here.

  25. #25TALLRICK2009-03-03 00:35

    I don't see many of them, and have yet to see the 2109 in person. Don't think I would ever get to try one out either. Believe it or not I have a very old 1968 OMC Mustang 1700 which was the first skid steer I ever owned. It still runs with its reliable old Wisconsin engine and is more powerful than the Bobcat M610 I got later on. Since then I have only had Bobcats and to me an 863 is more than enough machine for the job. It would be interesting to compare the big Mustang to the bigger Bobcats like the 963 as to reliability and performance. The bigger bobs were a bust from what I heard.

  26. #262109 Stang2009-03-03 18:51

    TALLRICK:Next time I go to Key Largo or Homestead with the machine ,I'll post here to make sure you get the message ,that would be a few days in advance so you can try this machine , that's a promise .

  27. #27TALLRICK2009-03-04 09:40

    That's definately something to look forward to!

  28. #28earthmover19842009-05-18 22:32

    I have a '91 Mustang 940 and think its great. I work on my own equipment so it only makes sense to have such a simple, easy to service machine. The little Yanmar engine starts no matter how cold without any asistance,and only uses 8 gallons of fuel when you work its ass off for 10 hours. Try to start a Kubota diesel when its 20 deg. out with no glow plugs! I love the t-bar. It seems to have more control than the "two stick setup". Also with the t-bar you can run it one handed, and hang on with the other hand in bumpy terrain. It has a direct drive hyd pump design, instead of drive belts. All around, I love my Mustang. It is the best 6,400 I 've ever spent. I do hate that the single pin Mustang q/t is obsolete, It is a way better design than bobtatch. I like these machines because they are basic barebones machines.

  29. #29landtekk2009-05-19 11:26

    I had a 940 and wish I had not traded for the 2040. It was a great little machine. Scott

  30. #30Paw Paws Toy2009-06-16 23:00

    I have a 1994 Mustang 940 with 4300 hours on it. Most of the hours were put on before I got it. It had 3100 hours on it when I got it in 2001. It didn't have a key. You had to start it with a screw driver in the old key hole. People that had it when I got it never turned it off. The hour meter would run until the battery went dead. Love the Yanmar motor. It always starts quickly and gets excellent fuel consumpation. I have several leaks, cylinders, drive motor, etc. but I love it. With the present economy and 0% financing, I decided to look for a new Mustang. I tried out the 2044 and 2054 and they seemed to be the same as my 940 except the metal didn't seem to be as heavy. I ended up buying a new S175 (built in December, 2007). I hope it is as good as my old 940 which I am still using in certain situations. I ended up building an adapter plate for my S175 so that I can use my attachments from the 940. The best thing about a skid steer is being able to dream up and build attachments for it.

  31. #31Airchunk2010-02-08 15:27

    I have a mustang MTL 25 It has been a real good machine until now. It has about 800 hrs on it and is about 3 years old. I just put in a new battery , the old one got a hole in it from ice freezing around it . So after I installed the new battery the alternator light came on . So I tested its output -- the batery was slowly bleeding down . SO I got a new /rebuilt atlernator (ouch $310.00) now the new alt puts out 14.25v and the al light is still on . Anybody have any idea why ?

  32. #32JDMustang2010-02-10 14:13

    New Member and have had good experience with an older Mustang Skid Steer.

  33. #33Paw Paws Toy2010-02-10 16:39

    What year, model of a Mustang do you have?

  34. #34JDMustang2010-02-11 00:06

    Model 330 with original 18HP Onan, 1 bucket for excavation, 2nd bucket for grade, and set of forks. Just had issues with Onan engine during our heavy DC snow though. Believe it's a vacuum or governor issue, but need someone smarter than me to troubleshoot.

  35. #35JGS2010-02-17 10:29

    Airchuck I have the same problem with my Gehl CTL60/Takeuchi TL130. My alternator bracket broke. Battery went dead cause of it. Fixed the bracket. Charged the battery. Tested the output of the alternator 14v. The alternator light flashes non stop. Machine runs fine. Anybody have any ideas

  36. #36andoman2010-02-21 11:42

    I've owned 6 mustangs/gehls and just purchased 2 new 7810e's last week. The two new ones we got are the first with pilot controls and we love them! The thing about these machines is to make sure you don't get one with a perkins engine (2002 to 2005 i think), they tend to overheat. As compared to anything else on the market, the 2109 and 7810 will out lift anything else on the market. I think the next closest machine is 2 foot lower on hinge pin height, and it makes a big difference if your trucks have boards on them.

  37. #37andoman2010-02-21 11:46

    Your right but I use them for driveway/patch removals, plus sweeping and milling (I'm an asphalt contractor) once you get used to the size they're great machines. I used to run case machines and got sick of building ramps to load out trucks the mustang will out reach my backhoes !

  38. #382109 Stang2010-02-21 20:53

    You are right the only backhoe that outreach the Mustang/Gehl 7810 is the new Deere 710 J, my friend has a Case 590 Super M, and I outreach his with my 2109, I can load trucks faster in tight quarters than any backhoe. Mine has the Perkins and never have any problems at all, Good luck with your machines, report back if you have any problems.

  39. #39Sam_French2010-02-22 00:50

    2109 Do you have the 15X19.5 tires on your machine? You need to post some more pics Have a nice day Sam

  40. #40andoman2010-02-22 09:10

    I've got a extra engine laying around if / when you need it. I don't trash the machines because they're the best you can get but perkins messed up and the reps will tell you about it if you ask. I filed a lawsuit against perkins / gehl because of the perkins engines, won, and got them replaced with cummins. It was honestly not gehls fault (but my contracts were with gehl/mustang not perkins) and perkins went bankrupt shortly there after to absolve themselves of any further legal problems. Personally I like the cummins better because they have better low end torque than the perkins.

  41. #41andoman2010-02-22 09:16

    I can take some pictures of my new 7810e (exactly the same as a 2109) mid week and post them.

  42. #42Airchunk2010-02-22 16:06

    Yep the mustang is a good machine . We just lost our local dealer -- so I have to go to the Takeuchi dealer now . It seems there arts are just a little higher in cost for some reason .

  43. #432109 Stang2010-02-22 22:25

    Mine has 14X17.5 Im sure they all do, so far every single one that I have seen has them.

  44. #442109 Stang2010-02-22 22:33

    andoman: So far I have being happy with the Perkins, but I have alway being a Cummins man, if something catastrophic ever happens here and the machine is still in good shape, I'm going with the B3.9 mechanical injection, I can only dream of that machine with that motor with 150 hp, not that it needs the extra power, I have never come close to use all the power this thing makes, but I'm a hp freak. I'll get pictures later in the week.

  45. #45TALLRICK2010-02-23 01:32

    Good that you are still getting good service from your Mustang. Every guy wants more power, so that is no surprise. There is a lot to be said about reliability. I still want to see that monster up close someday!

  46. #46andoman2010-02-25 16:21

    Our new Gehl 7810 (same as mustang 2109)

  47. #47Sam_French2010-02-26 11:01

    Thank You for posting some pics. That is a NICE machine. How do you like those tires? Are those Galaxy Hulks? Have a nice day. Sam

  48. #48Homerun2010-02-26 21:05

    why can't I post a new thread???

  49. #49AngelRock LLC2010-02-26 21:37

    863 bobcat, hydrostat issues New here, just found you guys while searching the net for answers. I apologise up front for not knowing the ropes here. I understand not being able to make a new post or topic or something like that for a while. Anyhow, I'm also fairly new to skidsteers and my 863 tracted pretty good until a hose sprung a leak, I shut it down, pulled the trailer over to it, loaded it, took it to a small shop, they replaced the hose, bucket was jumping and track control was slow to engage when i picked it up, they said it was air in the lines and would clear up, never did, in fact now it doesnt want to move, then it will begin to then wont move again, Hydro fluid looks great on dip stick prior to running, then it looks bubblely, appears to be sucking air into system. Can anyone shine some light over here for me? Thanks

  50. #50Ruric Brandt2011-07-01 11:00

    Do Not Purchase a 2109 / 7810 skid steer. Major problems with these machines. I purchased a 2109 in 05 and only have 370hrs on it. It's been to shop three times. Cracks under the Cab, throttle sensor has gone bad twice, boom saftey relay bad, and Mustang is not a company that wants to keep it's customers. I wound never purchase one of these machines, never. Very dissapointed. On a better note, if the machine is running correctly it's a beast. Very powerful but poor quality machine.

  51. #51Haddy2011-07-03 05:22

    I would agree , 2109 looked good and we really thought it would be excellent but we have had trouble with the lifting arms from day one . As they came up they rubbed the cab as the whole frame was not straight . We have had endless trouble with pins and bushes . Running gear has been OK , Cummins engine . I am sure skid steers are no good with these parralel lifts , to many linkages . We had VTS tracks fitted and one track only lasted 250 hours , nothing to do with Mustang but thought I would add that . We also have a old 960 Mustang that has got 8000 hours on it and it has given us a really good run . The next skid steer will have the lift arms mounted directly to the frame

  52. #52joestewart2011-07-03 19:15

    I love my 960 Mustang - 1994 model! Great machine. Paid $4200 for it in 2008.

  53. #53Lil' Puss2011-07-04 00:09

    I like mine. Simple enough to work on if necessary, and powerful enough to get the job done.

  54. #54Haddy2011-07-06 04:20

    Semi retired 960

  55. #55Haddy2011-07-06 04:26

    Used my semi retired 960 to clean the barn . This is the amount that we got out . I am amazed there was any room for animals !!!

  56. #56Bassmannnnn2011-09-07 12:29

    Trying to htake off Hydro tank cap. only seems to spin in place. any help please? Mustang Me-3503

  57. #57Lil' Puss2011-09-07 14:38

    Mine is like a radiator pressure cap. Depress and 1/2 turn to left.

  58. #58mustang9602011-09-07 16:24

    Don't know about the new ones, but the older ones are, stout, simple, and reliable. Id suggest a 940 or 960. The isuzu diesel has been a revalation for me.

  59. #59aars4402014-02-02 13:03

    parts? I just bought a OMC mustang 440, it has the Wisconsin engine, it is pretty old although I am not sure of the date yet, I need to buy some parts for it, Drive belt, starter ring gear probably some other stuff as well can I ask where is the best place to buy parts , is there a good aftermarket resource? Like the drive belt? I want to replace it and the ring gear this week thank you!

  60. #60allis145t2015-06-30 19:14

    Hi all, I am just wondering if someone is running a Mustang 2076 and if so how do you turn on the high flow feature. Cant seem to find a switch or anything. Cheers

  61. #61earthmover19842021-04-30 03:32

    I just bought a low hour 2042 after selling off my reliable 940 I had for 11 years. What does anyone know about the 2042? Are the drive chains adjustable? What are the major differences between a 2040,2041,2042,2044??? There doesn't seem to be much information on the 2042. Mine is a 2000 model year with 900 hours. I like it so far. Also, mine has case controls, with a foot pedal for the remote circuit. Has anyone switched theirs to hand and foot controls? Also looking for parts and service manuals... tell me what you guys know please.