I have purchased a second hand 2004 - Mustang 2044 about a year ago. Over this time it has had ongoing hydraulic fluid leaks from underneath, which I think is coming from the side covers, behind the wheels. I thought it was only after heavy usage, but have also found continuous leaking after no use for a few months. Is this a common place for leakages in this model? Can I just put new gaskets or selastic it to stop the leaks or am I looking in the wrong place? Any help would be appreciated.
First make sure the chain case vents are clear and the access cover is tight, but you will probably have to re-gasket the chain case access cover. High oil levels can build up in the chain case from drive motor seals and parking brake cylinders leaking by. I had a bad park brake cylinder and it kept filling the chain case, replaced it and no more problem.
Thanks for that, I will get some gaskets and try. I thought the park brake was electronic solenoids?
Well, yes and no. The electric solenoid valve diverts some hydraulic oil pressure to two small spring return loaded cylinders on top of the chain cases, one on each side about even with your knees, under the seat. The hydraulic pressure overcomes the spring and pushes the linkage down through a bellcrank, and the brake block out and away from the disc. I assume you don't have any manuals.
Thanks for that info. I am planning to get manuals and gaskets tomorrow with a bit of luck.