Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for a used skid steer with a $15,000 budget

Jer0978 ยท 2014-04-13 17:42

Wondering if $14,500 is way high for an 03 cat 216 with 1250 hrs. I can't seem to find anything to look at less than 3 hours away from me. The only other one I've found is a Deere 250 with 2000 hrs for $12,500. Everything else I've seen is over my budget or has 3,000 + hrs. I'm just looking for a machine to do some grading around my house, maybe push some snow in the winter.

Replies9
  1. #1KSSS2014-04-13 19:46

    You don't say if either has a cab enclosure or not. With a cab, the 216 does that would not seem too out of bounce to me (although I would feel better at 13K). The biggest issue with the 216 is that is small. The Deere I would pass on, if it was a 300 series I would consider it but not the original series. Since your not out to make money with it, size of the machine likely would not be that big of a deal I guess.

  2. #2Swannny2014-04-13 22:30

    My son lived near the Branson area for a good while. Noticed the prices of used skids in MO were quite higher than in my neck of the woods (Mid Atlantic Region). I agree with what KSSS has said about the 2 series JD. The 216 cat price is a bit high for open or enclosed, imo. I've seen quite a few open cab CAT machines in the 236/246 size with 1 to 2k hrs., open cab for around 12 to 13k. Taking a risk on the Perkins motor, though, with the CAT. Did see an 1840 Case in the Springfield, MO area back a couple months when my son was there, had maybe 1500 hrs., open cab with over-the-tire tracks and a couple attachments for 8 to 9k. Was ideal for a homeowner like you.

  3. #3KSSS2014-04-14 13:25

    I forgot about the Perkins motor issue. You might want to pass simply for that reason. You can almost buy the machine again for what the engine will cost if goes, and a lot of them have. I would look outside of your area, and try and get a deal freight. If your not in a rush you can find back hauls or truck that has room and get a buy if you can wait for it to happen

  4. #4Jer09782014-04-17 21:17

    I saw the 1840, sadly it already said sold on the ad when I found it. I'm searching all over, just would rather buy local if possible. Rental yard near me has a Deere 317 w/ 1,700 hrs for $16,000. That seems fairly in line with what I see on machinery trader but it's also at the very top end of my budget. I'm not afraid to low ball and work my way up though. I thought used truck shopping was a pain till I started this.

  5. #5Grit2014-04-17 21:26

    Boy you got that right. Good luck to you!

  6. #6mbb2014-04-17 22:41

    I just culminated a several month search for a good used mini-ex in the last month. The one piece of advise I will offer is to check all available outlets every single day. If you find a quality low hour machine that fits your criteria be ready to move immediately. A machine that jumps out at you as a very good deal will look the same way to your competition. Good deals that are advertised, or on the internet will not last long. There is a ton of well broken in iron out there that is priced at a 15-20% premium that you will have to navigate through. In my case I went above my budget and bought a super clean low hour machine. If you have the money or the ability to borrow I wouldn't let a few thousand dollars keep you from a better long term deal for yourself. My search started out as casual fun, turned into a job, and included many twists and turns along the way. If you are fortunate enough to have a lot of local inventory it will be less complicated. Be patient, and good luck.

  7. #7Swannny2014-04-18 08:37

    Just a word of caution - be mindful of stolen equipment as the amount of it has increased exponentially since 2007. Ignorantly buying a piece that's stolen can leave you in a cash-poor situation in a heartbeat (thankfully, it hasn't happened to me yet). I have a ton of customers in most of the branches of law enforcement (federal, state, local) and constantly hear of the horror stories, and of the ever expanding databases for stolen equipment. You can't ask too many questions, and take the time to research those serial numbers! If you feel something is fishy...better safe than sorry!

  8. #8JNB2014-04-18 10:11

    Boy, no kidding! Around here it's been stolen trailers with the serial #s ground off so they can sell them as shop built. The local Kubota dealer lost a new dump trailer and a SS trailer in the same weekend.

  9. #9Jer09782014-04-18 21:58

    That's one reason I'm contemplating the 317 Deere from the rental yard. I don't think 16k is a steal for an 08 machine but if I can get them down to 14 I don't think I'm getting hurt too bad, plus I know where it came from and that it's had great maintenance. I might be wrong though idk. Supposed to go look at it Monday and see what I can do.