Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mustang 2044 Hydraulic Problem

vinrum ยท 2009-08-11 19:15

After running the machine for about 10 minutes or so, the Hydraulic system builds so much pressure in it, the fluid starts to leak out of the hose (what I would call the overflow on a radiator)but at the end of the hose is a filter vent..Today I used the machine for a couple of hours and I started to remove the filler cap on the hydraulic tank and fluid start pushing out like a hot radiator,,,I took the filter vent off the hose and cleaned it, but it still is dripping out but not as bad..Any Ideas what my problem is Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1willie592009-08-11 21:54

    Is your oil clean, or milky looking?

  2. #2vinrum2009-08-12 05:40

    The oil is clean, as far as i can see.. I have to run the machine today for a couple of hours, so I will just double check..Is there a relief valve for the hydraulic system? I was thinking that might be bad??

  3. #3vinrum2009-08-12 19:55

    Ran the machine again today, and it did the same thing..Fluid pissing out of the overflow line..It didnt look foamy, but it was hard to tell when it is coming out of the filter plug..One thing that I did notice. When I release the filler cap, fluid come gushing out..It was hard to tell if it was foamy, with out taking a bath in it..Does the filler cap have a relief valve in it, to prevent this from happening..The filler cap looks like a small radiator cap

  4. #4willie592009-08-12 19:55

    A bad relief valve wouldn't cause this problem necessarily. Ok, you have clean oil. Let's establish a couple of basic things. 1) When cold, before start up, is the oil in the reservoir at the proper lever and not overfilled? 2) During operation, is the oil getting excessively hot? You could check this by carefully feeling the temperature of various hoses on the machine after operating for a good while. If any hose is hot enough to burn your hand if you grabbed it (so be careful doing this), then we have a problem.

  5. #5vinrum2009-08-12 20:00

    Yes, the fluid is clean, and when cold, it is at its proper level..I will try the touch test tomorrow..If I do have a line that is very hot, what am I looking at for problems??

  6. #6willie592009-08-12 20:12

    I'm just guessing here. If, in fact, your oil is at proper level, then after a period of running you start pukeing oil from the fill or vent of the tank, then something has to be either expanding the oil, such as heat, because it does not create more oil than what you had to start with, or something is entrapping air bubbles in the oil causing the level in the tank to rise. Just a couple of thoughts.

  7. #7apetad2012-07-24 19:14

    Overfull You are overfull, To measure the level correctly, push the dipstick down in the tube as far as it will go, DO NOT ADD if oil is touching the bottom of the dipstick. The system is pressurized to keep dirt from entering the hydraulic system through the cylinder seals etc.