Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

mustang 940 wont fire plz HELP!

badwagon ยท 2013-03-24 14:19

Skid Steer help - Yanmar 4cyl Diesel cliff notes.. Went on vacation and had someone to try and move my snow on the acreage. He said it started, ran for about 30sec and then it idled down and stalled. - It WAS low on fuel, so I thought it was out. Fuelling and bleeding the system has got me back to the square 1 however and no change/improvement. - Is this acceptable spray from the injector? or weak? - Do I keep attempting to bleed the system by cracking the injectors one at a time?

Replies11
  1. #1badwagon2013-03-24 14:21

    http://youtu.be/dlAL_6KD5z0

  2. #2mikebramel2013-03-24 14:35

    To me it sounds as if it is spinning wayy too fast. Do you have a 24V system? I would check for compression. You can see it does have fuel

  3. #3badwagon2013-03-24 15:12

    It is 12v... it only spins that fast when there is fuel present. Like its "almost" firing There is no audible different in how the engine turns over when I crack individual injector lines I am going to try some new "new" fuel from the gas station today

  4. #4mikebramel2013-03-24 15:27

    Does it fire with 50/50gas diesel spray

  5. #5badwagon2013-03-24 16:03

    That I have not tried.. and at this point I will try anything

  6. #6Delmer2013-03-24 16:04

    Warning: terminology lecture: The video shows that it's obviously firing (notice the black smoke), it's just not "catching", or continuing to run. Sorry, I've read too many posts about Cummins Dodges "I went out in the morning and fired it up, but when I started it I couldn't get it to crank, the engine would spin but I couldn't get it to turn over, what should I try?" Does it act any differently if you put the throttle at the highest speed? It sounds like it's running on one or two cylinders, getting plenty of fuel to at least some of the injectors. I'm assuming this hasn't started and run since running low on fuel? I'm guessing once it starts it will clear out and start normally in the future. I'd put a regular charger (not a booster) or jumper cables on it and keep trying, just give the starter plenty of time to cool down between trys.

  7. #7badwagon2013-03-24 17:00

    throttle input makes no difference at all.. thx for the input!

  8. #8Dinger492013-03-25 07:43

    You've got fuel - check glow plugs and check to see if any auxilary hydraulic functions were left engaged.

  9. #9badwagon2013-03-25 11:34

    no glow plugs, it has a intake heater however the aux hydraulic... THAT I will check when I get home thx for the ideas

  10. #10Delmer2013-03-25 17:32

    If all else fails, check the air filter/intake. I've never seen a diesel do this, but the video kind of reminds me of what happens when an old tractor with an oil bath air filter gets water in the oil and freezes, the engine pulls a vacuum and spins faster, obviously gets enough fuel, but won't fire with any power. Long shot, off the wall, idea. But, easy to check.

  11. #11Dinger492013-03-28 06:02

    Did you get the machine to start? If so, what did you find to be the problem?