I saw one that I could get for 10k (bargained down). Anyone know anything about these? Some searching suggests this is equivalent to a Gehl 303?
The machine is built for Gehl/Mustang by Wacker. They are solidly built, obviously it is old and used and subject to how it was maintained, but they are solid. Some of the ergonomics are a little odd if your used to a Japanese mini ex, but I wouldn't be scared of one.
Thank you. I went ahead and bought it. It seemed to be well maintained, I couldn't discern any leaks or such. Controls were a bit jerky, but I'm happy. Now for a skid loader.
I now have it at home. This thing seems to work fine, but it started overheating after about an hour of use... Maybe something wrong with the radiator?
I would check to see if the radiator isn't plugged with dirt. I have it happen with some of mine, especially when doing demo.
I tried to ease on the throttle a bit, and haven't experienced overheating. Will need to figure out how to access the radiator though. I'm not sure if the hour meter is accurate. At first it seemed it was 1400, but it looks like it's been reset, and it's actually 14hr + xx, which is obviously incorrect.
Radiator seems clean, and I topped it off with coolant, but to no avail. Maybe I need to flush the old coolant? It's not really that much of a problem as I'm able to get quite a bit of runtime out of it before it overheats. It's also missing a fuel cap. Where can I get it? In general, where's a good place to find parts for this? The fuel gauge also doesn't seem to be working. Also, which buckets normally fit? I could take measurements but I'm unsure what to search for.
You should be able to find some help with a Mustang dealer of course (good luck finding one of those), a Gehl dealer and a your best source would likely be a Wacker Neuson dealer. You would want to find the corresponding Gehl model number and WN for the machine you have. Once you have that, some of the used part resellers on the Net could help you as well at a cheaper price. Werk Brau can help you with buckets and thumb fittings, WB may also be an easy source to locate the sister machines from Gehl and WN.
Thanks! Looking for an oil filter now.. not fun. The 3003 (AKA Gehl 303) has different engines depending on the year. The specific engine that I have, I have no idea how to locate a filter for. I guess I can check what's already inside there, though.
and the battery won't charge. lovely...
Seems it's the tension on the belt, but the gehl 303 manual steps to adjust the tension don't seem to work well at all...
ahh some WD-40 does the trick. Definitely needs a new belt though. So far it's been pretty good except for the belt (which would explain the overheating and battery charging issues. Belt not tight enough = fan not spinning fast enough, alternator not spinning fast enough).
While your at it, I would change out the oil in the drive motors as well as the hyd. filter and likely the fluid itself. It has a filter and or fluid, I would change it. It likely has not been serviced to the degree it should have been.
The hydraulic oil appears nice and yellow-gold in the sight glass. Filter seems to be just shy of $100 online. Does that sound right? Drive oil specification is unclear. I guess I need "EP" GL5 80w90 oil. Is this any different than regular 80w90? Can I just get this on amazon/autozone? I was able to order a belt locally from a dealer (a rental place, real nice guys), unfortunately they know nothing about Gehl excavators, other than what's actually available in the parts book. They weren't even aware that they made excavators. Belt ended up being $65 out the door. I'll probably need to remove the radiator in order to install it. I do agree that it likely hasn't been properly serviced properly. It seems like it could be a very nice machine. How much fuel does this thing use at idle? It seems like the fuel gauge is still at full, but I'm thinking that can't possibly be right. Also not sure how to test the indicator lights. Swing gear seems to be a tiny bit sloppy (I'd say maybe 6" either way, fully extended). Is that cause for concern? Personally it doesn't bother me.. but I don't want it getting worse.
You will probably want to find a service manual on line so you know what it takes. I would make sure you buy exactly the grade of oil it calls for. Some oils don't play well with certain metals. If your pulling the radiator anyway, it may be would be worth taking it in and having it cleaned and pressure checked since you have it pulled anyway. Then put fresh antifreeze back in it. Price sounds right on filter, its about what I pay for the Taki hyd filter. It should be very easy on fuel at idle. 6" of play in the swing gear is a lot, perhaps you can extend the hoe out and move the stick up and down and have someone watch the swing gear and see exactly how much play you have.
If the machine is a rebadged wacker neuson 3003, contact Wacker Neuson USA. They helped me out with a pdf parts manual, owners manual and service manual for my 8003. Leroy